584,812 active members*
5,422 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 10 123

Renishaw Probe

So if anyone is considering buying one of the many used renishaw probes on eBay - here's my conversion to work under PathPilot with TTS.

I started with a $69 Renishaw MP3 on a CAT50 holder here:

Attachment 345140

After taking the pieces apart I removed the Inductive module (unscrews w M4 screws) and cut the 2 wires (white(+) and red(-)):

Attachment 345124

Then I drilled out the hole to 0.6in and wired in a 3 pin din connector:

Attachment 345126

There are only 2 wires in the probe the white and red - these connect just like the tormach or wild horse probes although the White goes to the +5v, and the Red wire to the ground.

For the LEDs i drilled out the smaller holes below the DIN connector and glued in some white LEDs.

The circuit is simple, one led + 1K resistor connected across the red/white wires.

Attachment 345128

Then I make an adapter plate that screws into the previous inductive housing ring and is threaded for a TTS ER20 collect chuck.

Here is the rendering:

Attachment 345130

I put small O-rings between the Probe housing and Mount to allow for tightening the M4 screws to perform On Center Adjustment:

Attachment 345132

Here is the Probe assembled and installed:

Attachment 345134

Attachment 345136

Here it is next to my Wildhorse Probe (The MP3 probe is huge!):

Attachment 345138

Fusion 360 CAD/CAM Files if anyone wants:

MP3 Adapter-Fusion360

The repeatability is pretty amazing - measuring the same surface over and over was usually exactly the same - sometimes off by 0.0001 even with a crappy homemade stylus that isn't concentric (have a real M4 stylus on order).

Re: Renishaw Probe

Thanks bud, way cool! I couldn't respond with a message, bc my something is full., but I really appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by brianbonedoc View Post
    So if anyone is considering buying one of the many used renishaw probes on eBay - here's my conversion to work under PathPilot with TTS.
    I have purchased three different Renishaw TP1S probes (5 axis) on eBay and they do not require any modification to work with the Tormach mills. I also bought some used Renishaw probe interface boxes (PI-7) since that will maximize the sensitivity and the longevity. Without the Renishaw probe interface box you directly rely on the internal contacts to make and break, resulting in a small amount or arcing and that reduces the lifetime, and it inherently reduces the sensitivity even without any arcing.

The Renishaw interface box detects *very* small changes in contact resistance and cuts off the current when the set threshold is reached. This reduces the arcing to zero and since the small resistance change is measured while the contacts are still touching the sensitivity is outstanding.

The repeatability is pretty amazing - measuring the same surface over and over was usually exactly the same - sometimes off by 0.0001 even with a crappy homemade stylus that isn't concentric (have a real M4 stylus on order).
    The Renishaw probes generally have a repeatability of well under 0.1 mil. My quite dated TP1S probes are rated at better than 0.1 mil for both repeatability and accuracy coming from any direction. This style of contact probe always has a bloated triangular sensitivity polar plot due to the three internal arms. The variation between the triangle maxima and minima adds to the inaccuracy but with the probe interface box this gets complete buried within the better than 0.1 mil accuracy spec. You can easily measure the polar angular sensitivity by taping a paper scale with marks every 15 degrees around the probe body and then measuring the touch point in the X axis with each orientation. Rotate the probe between measurements so that you only use the X axis for movement and always come from the same mill table direction. If the resulting polar plot shows up as a circle your probe is simply tilted.

This is really helpful. I have an MP11 coming and was looking for a plug to mate with the connector. I had not considered changing the connector in the probe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I received the new probe stylus from Q-Mark. It's a stubby one but makes up for the giant probe.
    http://qmarkdirect.com/epages/9aa7a1.../Products/2434

The new stylus made it very easy to achieve concentricity. The 4 mounting screws with the O rings as small resistance springs worked perfectly.

This probe is dead on compared to my wild horse probe which would be off by a couple thou in the X vs Y direction even when dialed in concentric.

Thanks for posting this !!!!! I also have a Renishaw probe and was wondering about it's repeatability
    pete

How do you determine if the particular model your looking at on Ebay will connect with a cable to PP? Some of them are wireless now is why I am asking as I know nothing about the renishaw probes.

I have noticed that the price seems to be going up on the used Renishaw probes, or I am looking in the wrong place..............
    mike sr

I think the affordable ones on eBay can be used wired. I looked on the renishaw site and downloaded the PDF which shows it wired.

I think the affordable ones on eBay can be used wired. I looked on the renishaw site and downloaded the PDF which shows it wired.
    I bid on a decent looking one (MP 3), I will know friday or saturday if I got it. There was a cheaper one, probably worked fine but looked rather rough for 125.00. I usually use a dial indicator to indicate holes, we will see how the two compare---- if everything goes OK.
    I bought din connectors at Gateway electronics today, and I have a coil cord around here someplace, trying to lay in some needed parts in for the project........
    mike sr

Hmm - I've got an MP1s. Do you suppose that could be retrofitted to the Tormach like you did your MP3?

Michael - yes I am sure it could. Take it apart and check out the wiring. If you test it on a multimeter, you may have to use the diode setting. Mine didn't work with just the continuity checker due to all the circuitry in the probe.

Let me know if you need help.

I freaking love mine, aside from how big it is.

Thanks Brian (?) - I have to make some sort of spindle mount for mine so it will be a bit before I can dig into the electronic connections and I'm not even sure that the probe works, but I may be back looking for advice.

I got my probe today, checked it out and it worked.
    I spent the day cutting down the humongus 40 or 50 taper, the thing must have weighed 20 pounds??, I changed out the DIN plug on the machine, added a coil cord and almost done, still need to add a DIN connector to the probe itself.

Z height is .0001, most timesi its right on.

I need a more sensitive indicator to set the ruby ball right on (suggestions welcome), its off about .0019 in X, .0007 in Y due to the ball not being dead center.
    It did come with a long stylus approx 4" or so.

Thanks for the tip Brian!!
    mike sr

Awesome! Just get a 0.0005 dial test indicator and you'll dial it in quick. Get a 1" probe so you don't use up all your z height.

Awesome! Just get a 0.0005 dial test indicator and you'll dial it in quick. Get a 1" probe so you don't use up all your z height.

pic of the adapter I removed the transmitter, otherwise I used all the parts. Turned down the holder, it was case hardened, not an easy job
    mike sr

Thanks for posting, great info.....

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by RTP_Burnsville View Post
    Thanks for posting, great info.....

Robert
    Your welcome Robert,
    It was Brian's idea and a good one indeed!
    mike sr

Wow great job turning down that cat50 holder - that must have been tough!

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    Your welcome Robert,
    It was Brian's idea and a good one indeed!
    Thanks Brian, it was a job, case hardened, took a few hours and used up a couple chinese carbide lathe tools ha! It was also an interrupted cut and carbide doesnt like that too well ha!

I think it was actually quicker than making a new one, and it took ten pounds off it so even an old man can lift it now ha........... I used my tenths indicator and the ball is centered as close as I can get it, I think the descrepancy between the dial indicator and the probe is how zero is approached (machine backlash errors etc). I will play with that today, and see if I can find a more professional looking connector for the probe itself, the black tape isnt too aesthetic ha!

I do like the automatic one button center in Pathpilot though (for holes), the indicator takes quite a bit more time. Nice project thats for sure thanks again!

mike sr
    mike sr

Page 1 of 10 123