584,805 active members*
4,854 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Hybrid View

Biesse Rover 346 retrofit

Hi all,

I just purchased a Biesse Rover 346 with intents of retrofitting with Linuxcnc.

I plan on using mesa cards:
    5i25, 7i77, 7i74, 7i70 and 2X 7i71.

I have the machine in my shop and mapping out all the I/O's.
    Waiting on connectors to connect 600V to the machine.

See some pics below:

Re: Biesse Rover 346 retrofit

That's a beast ! What are you planning to use it for ?

Is the original controller broken ? Or are you having trouble getting code to drive it ?

The original controller is not broken, in fact the prior owner ran some gcode on it.

I dont want to try or even think about operating that antequated controller. Going to take the time and retrofit it and get busy making sawdust.

We have a wood shop with a 4x4 cnc i made to do all our stuff and we need a 4x8 cause we are turning down jobs cause we dont have the machine for it. We are a small shop of 3.

battwell I think I will go uccnc! it looks very versatile.
    What options do I have regarding motion controller??

I understand about old controllers, they can be real pain.

Good luck with your conversion, I'll be watching with interest.

I have the machine powered up and running on the old control. Everything seems to be working even the vaccuum pump.

I have installed LinuxCNC and mounted by Mesa cards for the retrofit. The boards are powered talking to LinuxCNC and that part is working now also.
    I have to find the offsets for all the tools before I start cutting and transfering on Linuxcnc. Below are some pics.

In the meantime my bandsaw bearings bit the duwst so I have that all apart, and I have a job today so, today will not be a fun day....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1273.JPG   5v applied.jpg   IMG_1271.JPG   IMG_1274.JPG  

5volt PS.jpg  

biesse have great frames. ive converted 2 to mach3. programming the drilling in an easy to use way was the most fun!
    here is mine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyAp6SNzSE0&t=14s
    so much to learn, so much to pass on.

Quote Originally Posted by battwell View Post
    biesse have great frames. ive converted 2 to mach3. programming the drilling in an easy to use way was the most fun!
    here is mine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyAp6SNzSE0&t=14s
    That is very nice work to Battwell, maybe you can help me out with my convertion. I allready run Mach3, so I would like to convert it to a Mach3 or 4 machine as I allready know the program.
    Here is my machine.

Colin

if i was doing another one- id convert it using uccnc software.
    i have analogue control working via a galil controller.
    uccnc has a much better and more accurate motion planner than mach3.
    i use it on my other big machines.
    couldnt do this with mach 3 in cv mode.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJmcugyW8xM
    so much to learn, so much to pass on.

This is a great thread, good job on the conversion!!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I do not know the UCCNC or whatever that controller is...lol, I use Linuxcnc and it is working amazing. Took me three weeks about to convert and 1000.00 worth of hardware.

I am cutting my first job o it tomorrow. I have the Automatic tool changer left to do. All the other drills vert horiz had no problem with. I am building my plc program in Linuxcnc almost done for the tool changer.

this is not a very complicated retrofit. There is alot to it but not that much. Just alot of inputs and more outputs. Even got my zones worked out with the green buttons and the safety sensors... It was a fun one to do.
    I am doing some detailed calibration on the axis.

The Yawasaki drives are amazing and buiklt like tanks. Easy to interface with Linuxcnc, that was the easiest part. The Inverter for the spindles was pretty easy also. The worst part was figuring out the startup logic.
    After that it was a piece of cake. Could probably do the next one in two weeks or so.

You will have fun if you choose a capable controller.

Oh yeah, I have to do my button panel also.

Cut my first pieces on the BS 346. Wow what a machine. I was 64th inch off @110" will regulate that tomorrow. Just a matter of scale for that axis.

Now, to do the ATC....

First job completed on the new machine. The machine is not finished yet but couldnt say no to this little contract.

Machine ran real nice and smooth. More accurate than i can measure. I quoted 5.5 hours and the machine finished the job in 2 hours. The cut was in hdpe 1.5" thick and the finish was amazing....

Attached a photo. How do i place inline?

I recently got a similar machine, a Biesse Rover 342, and already hate the built in control. Will probably also convert to LinuxCNC. Not quite sure how to handle all the spindles and stuff though.

Quote Originally Posted by lbtrs View Post
    I recently got a similar machine, a Biesse Rover 342, and already hate the built in control. Will probably also convert to LinuxCNC. Not quite sure how to handle all the spindles and stuff though.
    I had the majority of the machine converted to linuxcnc in about3.5 weeks. I am working on a toolchanger scheme with spindle selection. It is 75% completed. Not that hard. Have to remap Tn M6 through python, and voila. Will upload video when completed. That and a button panel to finish, but I am cutting contracts on it already.

Not that hard to do.

Quote Originally Posted by lbtrs View Post
    Hi, I got the same machine, a Biesse rover 342, but the controller was broken, it never ran in my shop, so I 'm in the process of retrofitting (taking it apart and seeing what we have to deal with). This machine is +25 years of age and not much can be found online of the components used. one of the "bigger deal" components I cant find anything on are the encoders used on the servo's they are hohner H3393 (I may have to swap them out)

once you start your conversion let me know, I may have some tips for you

Quote Originally Posted by bramvh View Post
    Hi, I got the same machine, a Biesse rover 342, but the controller was broken, it never ran in my shop, so I 'm in the process of retrofitting (taking it apart and seeing what we have to deal with). This machine is +25 years of age and not much can be found online of the components used. one of the "bigger deal" components I cant find anything on are the encoders used on the servo's they are hohner H3393 (I may have to swap them out)

once you start your conversion let me know, I may have some tips for you
    He is going to use Linuxcnc, no need to change out encoders. They work fine, The drive gets the encoders, then output to Linuxcnc. I did one of these machines and had no issues.

Page 1 of 2 12