584,829 active members*
4,957 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 7 of 8 5678

Re: When will "acorn" release?

What do you mean work around?
    If you move any axis where you want it and tell it to zero the DRO, then that is G54. Usually. Assuming the machine is homed. You can set them up differently too, but for basic 3 axis machine operations, I think this is true.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    Does it mention G54, G55, G56 etc...?
    How would you prefer it to be implemented?

I use it differently in different machines.
    On my router, G54 is my home position and the the tool touching the top of the work surface. I change it automatically for every tool with a probing routine.
    On my Haas, the G54, 55 and 56 points are set distances from Home. Always the same for our production parts.
    For other jobs, I generally use G57 and set the Z zero at the top of that material. X and Y generally stay the same. Fixed jaw in a vise.
    When I first started I didn't home my machines and set G54 manually each time by zeroing the DRO's.
    Lee

On current controls I have one spindle as T1 and the other spindle is T2. They are roughly 9in apart on gantry. I guess what I want it to do it when changing spindles by calling different tool numbers it offsets the current work offset by the distance between the spindles automatically. I guess I could set one at g54 and the other to g55 but it would make a much higher chance of programming one spindle in wrong offset in cam as that would have to be done manually.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

In most Cam packages that I have seen, a 0 or a 1 for offsets defaults to G54.
    a 2 is G55. a 3 is G 56 and so on. That particular method is what Fusion 360 uses and it uses a pretty main stream CAM package. I think it is HSM and is what you use with Solid Works as well.
    This is changed in the setup module. Not really sure how it would work with only two tools each time. You might be able to setup a template and use it for each part.
    This may also be something you would setup in the tool table for those two tools.
    Lee

Thinking about it now I think it needs to be part of a tool change routine as it also need to raise the z on first tool move over and lower back down z at same time

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    Does it mention G54, G55, G56 etc...?
    I'm definitely no expert but happened to be perusing the manual and ran across this:

"G54 - G59 - Select Work Coordinate System
    G54 through G59 select among the six regular work coordinate systems (WCS #1 through WCS #6). After issuing
    the code, subsequent absolute positions will be interpreted in the new coordinate system. Alternatively, the codes
    E1 through E6 to can be used instead of G54 through G59.
    Example:
    G54 G0 X0 Y0 Z0 ; select first WCS, move to origin
    G2 X1 I.5 Z-.5 ; mill something...
    G0 Z.1 ; Rapid to position Z0.1
    G55 X1 Y1 ; select second WCS, move to X1, Y1"
    Milton in Tennessee ya'll!

In house Acorn CNC Lathe walk around and demonstration of threading and tapping

In house Acorn CNC Lathe walk around and demonstration of threading and tapping

https://youtu.be/NjYaWOW1O8w

Re: In house Acorn CNC Lathe walk around and demonstration of threading and tapping

FYI the introductory Acorn pricing ends January 3rd. If anyone is trying to make up your mind now is the time!

End to Acorn Introductory Pricing date is January 3rd 2018 - Centroid Community CNC Support Forum

Re: In house Acorn CNC Lathe walk around and demonstration of threading and tapping

It must be fate that I stumbled on this last post since I can't pass up a sale. At the 11th hour, I just pulled the trigger on an Acorn and Pro software upgrades for Mill & Lathe.

My interest has been rejuvenated over the past 6 months to get going, but this was it. I only came across Acorn a couple of weeks ago for the first time too. I was having a hard time convincing myself that Mach4 with Pokeys or PMDX was going to go smoothly.

I've been lurking on and off CNC Zone for many years, but never got over the hump. I play with my RF-21 for kicks, but it's only got one motor. The target of the CNC is an original IH manual mill on my garage floor and an EMCO Compact 10 that I recently started playing with again.

I'm sure that I'll get to know many of you as time goes on....
    Thanks!

Hiya Kalbin, if I've interpreted your post correctly you ordered one Acorn with 2 Pro upgrades? If so you may want to get another Acorn now while they are a bit cheaper & save yourself some trouble later.

Here's a link to the Centroid forum; bunch'a great guys there as well: Centroid Acorn CNC Controller - Centroid Community CNC Support Forum

Glad i decided to browse the cnc zone forums. Ordered mine today at the intro price, maybe it ends today? Just need to figure out what PC to get or build one.

Acorn has noise issues and it can cause a multitude of problems including a runaway!

I wound up selling mine. I was wanting to install it in a CRP Plug and Play electronics system. I did the bench testing on the Acorn and it was working. I did install everything on Din rails in the control box. Space was not an issue. It all fit.
    The biggest issue was trying to adapt the wiring to that of the PnP. A bit of a head scratcher since it was all setup with the E smooth stepper.

It would have been much easier to strip it all back down to the bare drives and then install the Acorn.
    I could not take the machine offline and risk that.
    I did get pretty close to what I paid for it, so that part was okay. It did seem like it did what they claim, so felt okay passing it on to someone.

Any CNC machine that has noise issues is unreliable. How did you pinpoint the noise issues to the Acorn. There are a lot of reasons noise could become a problem.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by woffler View Post
    Acorn has noise issues and it can cause a multitude of problems including a runaway!
    A post about your specific problem would be more productive than little jabs in old Centroid threads.

Acorn Wireless MPG CNC control pendant now available.

https://youtu.be/e2ukbCzcMW8

Wireless MPG CNC control pendant web page.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	centroid_wireless_pendant.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	395640

I would say you have a wiring problem, not an Acorn problem, both noise and runaway are wiring problems
    Mactec54

That's not a fair statement to make without substantiating the claim. I've installed 8 Acorn systems and none of them had any problems related to noise issues.

Most likely it's the installer unfamiliar with proper installation of CNC control systems.

Marty

I’ve got all three versions and the free is useless unless your cutting a pocket or square or simple drill array.. Heck even the pro is limited to file size. I don’t do complex parts but they do tend to get up to 15000 lines sometimes more exceeding the 4mb file size. I have a m400 which isn’t limited and does all that and more. The digitizing bundle lets you have unlimited file size but don’t get too hung on the probe it won’t work very well but for edge finding. Any actual reverse engineering is a moot point and other than entertainment value that’s about it. I like the software it’s easy to use but like anything has issues and can be buggy at times. If you’re expectations aren’t not too high and hardware is compatible then you will be happy. Don’t try and run any open loop steppers I have tried a half dozen various stepper motors and they alll miss steps with acorn but run fine on other programs that have manual stepper tuning. Id say the auto tune feature isn’t great. Now with AC servos it’s superb and I’m not the only one to have found this to be the case. I’m sure closed loop steppers probably do fine but I haven’t tried any.

Quote Originally Posted by hoecken View Post
    Are you guys using the free software? it seems to be useless. The pro version $ 499.00 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Uguessedit View Post
    I’ve got all three versions and the free is useless unless your cutting a pocket or square or simple drill array.. Heck even the pro is limited to file size. I don’t do complex parts but they do tend to get up to 15000 lines sometimes more exceeding the 4mb file size. I have a m400 which isn’t limited and does all that and more. The digitizing bundle lets you have unlimited file size but don’t get too hung on the probe it won’t work very well but for edge finding. Any actual reverse engineering is a moot point and other than entertainment value that’s about it. I like the software it’s easy to use but like anything has issues and can be buggy at times. If you’re expectations aren’t not too high and hardware is compatible then you will be happy. Don’t try and run any open loop steppers I have tried a half dozen various stepper motors and they alll miss steps with acorn but run fine on other programs that have manual stepper tuning. Id say the auto tune feature isn’t great. Now with AC servos it’s superb and I’m not the only one to have found this to be the case. I’m sure closed loop steppers probably do fine but I haven’t tried any.
    wow.. talk about subterfuge and misinformation. holy moly... i don't know where to start...

Acorn is rock solid.. but don't take my word for it.. listen to these guys..

https://centroidcncforum.com/viewfor...94ad99086e3734

Acorn feature set is rich for low dollars. read for yourself here..
    Acorn CNC12 Mill and Lathe Pro software is $139 and includes unlimited g code file size along with a long list of other CNC features. listed about 1/2 way down this page.

https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid...ontroller.html

The support is off the charts good...Acorn a strong friendly enthusiastic power user base willing to help newbies get there machine tool running this combined with Factory CNC support is a winning combination..Visit the Acorn forum and see for yourself.
    https://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3498

PM727M Retrofit with Acorn CNC controller and Techno CNC Lathe
    https://youtu.be/pN1iDhBmo2I

Centroid Acorn customer video channels

Franco CNC
    https://www.youtube.com/user/francolabrad/videos

Marty's CNC Garage.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTN...zer6GVQ/videos

Centroid 5 axis customers talk about their experience with Centroid.
    https://youtu.be/eaBY5ItgFf4

https://youtu.be/Amg6reDQ8OE

Centroid Videos
    https://www.youtube.com/user/CentroidCNC/videos

Centroid Technical Support videos
    https://www.youtube.com/user/CentroidSupport/videos

Acorn CNC Knowledge Base Videos

https://centroidcncforum.com/viewforum.php?f=61

Page 7 of 8 5678