585,567 active members*
3,446 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Best 1/2 Rougher

For an 1100, 5k MAX RPM. What's receive favorite cutter, fastest material removal. I'm looking specifically for interpolation. I'm currently hogging out parts at 5k RPM, 0.375doc, 0.075woc @100ipm. That's the most removal I have pushed it too so far, there's a bit of load but it's not bad and using adaptive tool paths it's running pretty nicely but I'm looking for more, maybe a corn cob rougher, currently using a 3fl, 45° helix CrN or TiCN,coated, (I think it's TiCN, it's capable of a little faster ipm than the CrN, which I didn't think would be the case)Tormach end mill. Thinking about a Keyocera insert cutter or some kind of corn cob, gotta stay@ .5 diameter or less, any recommendations are appreciate. . Happy New Year everyone!!

Re: Best 1/2 Rougher

Quote Originally Posted by tbev View Post
    For an 1100, 5k MAX RPM. What's receive favorite cutter, fastest material removal. I'm looking specifically for interpolation. I'm currently hogging out parts at 5k RPM, 0.375doc, 0.075woc @100ipm. That's the most removal I have pushed it too so far, there's a bit of load but it's not bad and using adaptive tool paths it's running pretty nicely but I'm looking for more, maybe a corn cob rougher, currently using a 3fl, 45° helix CrN or TiCN,coated, (I think it's TiCN, it's capable of a little faster ipm than the CrN, which I didn't think would be the case)Tormach end mill. Thinking about a Keyocera insert cutter or some kind of corn cob, gotta stay@ .5 diameter or less, any recommendations are appreciate. . Happy New Year everyone!!
    What kind of material?

I would steer clear of the corn cob style on the 1100. I have one for aluminum and another TiAln for steel - both from Maritool. The aluminum one is usable, but very loud. The steel cutter is borderline unusable, my MRR goes way down (compared with a nice variable helix high performance endmill) and I have to tighten the power drawbar beyond what the bellville washers can do just to keep it from pulling out. If we had a more rigid machine, it might be a different story, but I can't get anywhere near my 1.5 HP with corn cob roughers.

Feel free to check out my short videos on instagram of me cutting 1018 steel at ~1.5 MRR with 3/8" variable helix endmills from onlinecarbide.com (no affiliation, just a happy customer). Personally, I don't feel like we have enough rigidity to rough with a 1/2" endmill effectively - I aim for 3/8" when trying to get rid of metal.

I feel like the modern geometry / HP endmills are so much better than the old style roughers that beat up the machine.

I have been using the Maritool 1/2" corn-cob rougher for aluminum on my 1100 the last three years and it is amazing. I first saw it used by John on NYC cnc videos.

Quote Originally Posted by wtopace View Post
    What kind of material?

I would steer clear of the corn cob style on the 1100. I have one for aluminum and another TiAln for steel - both from Maritool. The aluminum one is usable, but very loud. The steel cutter is borderline unusable, my MRR goes way down (compared with a nice variable helix high performance endmill) and I have to tighten the power drawbar beyond what the bellville washers can do just to keep it from pulling out. If we had a more rigid machine, it might be a different story, but I can't get anywhere near my 1.5 HP with corn cob roughers.

Feel free to check out my short videos on instagram of me cutting 1018 steel at ~1.5 MRR with 3/8" variable helix endmills from onlinecarbide.com (no affiliation, just a happy customer). Personally, I don't feel like we have enough rigidity to rough with a 1/2" endmill effectively - I aim for 3/8" when trying to get rid of metal.

I feel like the modern geometry / HP endmills are so much better than the old style roughers that beat up the machine.

Aluminum, sorry I left that out.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Do you guys know anymore details about the corn cobs your using, maybe we can figure out what works and what doesn't. I hear ya Wes, regarding the 3/8 vs 1/2 and the lack of power. If I could get a 3/8 Rougher to remove material a fast as the 1/2 I'm currently using I'd be stoaked!!

Do you guys know anymore details about the corn cobs your using, maybe we can figure out what works and what doesn't. I hear ya Wes, regarding the 3/8 vs 1/2 and the lack of power. If I could get a 3/8 Rougher to remove material a fast as the 1/2 I'm currently using I'd be stoaked!!

If I did much aluminum there would be no competition - shear hog! Even nyccnc moved away from his corn cob for aluminum and went shear hog. Tormach sells one with the tts shank for a good price.

Agreed, I have a .75 shear hog, is bad ass. I've been comparing roughing with the shear hog vs. half in em but in this particular case I have to finish/rest machine with a 3/16in end mill, which is really the crocks of my problem with this particular part. Going from the shear hog leaves so much more material for the 3/16 bit to remove it takes a good amount more time to complete the past than the half inch em filter by the 3/16. I also threw a 1/4in bit in the middle (rough with shear hog, follow up with 1/4in em then finish with 3/16 em) but it's not really worth it with the additional tool change required, especially with my super cool lack of an ATC..

So I'm back to looking for a better half inch diameter cutter. . I'm also going to see what I can get my new 3/8in. 3fl, INCO Streaker to do. If I can get it to remove material as far or faster it will be awesome. You really prefer the 3/8 em to a 1/2 em on the 1100 huh? I hope it works for me too! John Grimsmo told me to get a Streaker, he really likes a 1/4in on his 1100 so I grabbed s coupe of those, in 3/8in tho bc that's what I needed at the time.

Does anyone use an insert cutter/ indexable in a half in, in aluminium? Again, I love the hog, but I'm not sure about a half inch version, I know AB doesn't make one but Keyocera does, I'm thinking about it.

BTW, I have a few chamfer bits I got from onlinecarbide.com that I really like, they were like $8/ea, they are great. I've also been using icarbide 's stuff, it's all fantastic too, 10pk of superfly inserts are like $30! [email protected] will take care of you for those if you tell him I sent ya. I met him at faves a couple years ago and he's real cool, good parts.

I use 1/2" HSS Rougher Endmills in Aluminum on my 1 HP 770 all the time.
    I run them at 5000 RPM, .687" depth of cut, with a .150 step-over.
    Feedrate is a little slow at 18 IPM, but that's because of my Full-Depth cut. I don't like stalling the motor.
    I also use flood coolant.
    One endmill lasts me along time.

I have been using a Lakeshore 1/2" 3FL "finisher/rougher" with ZrN coating. I use it for roughing and finishing. It hums along very silently, shooting a steady stream of aluminum chips.

I was going to try a corncob cutter next, but these comments are kinda scary. I thought the serrated edge is supposed to increase MRR and reduce vibration/harmonics/noise?

I have been testing that same lakeshore 3fl, Tormach 3fl's both with 45° helix's in TiCN and CrN. The Tormach 3fl in TiCN has been the fastest for me, it's what I'm using in this video, I've done this same opp, it's 0.4DOC, 0.075WOC, @103IPM .

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aii6dek7pa...04150.mp4?dl=0

I'm pretty happy with this half inch end mill but I'm still looking for something better, still trying to decide if in going to go with a corn cob or an insert cutter. .

Impressive video. Sort of off-topic - Question... it looks like you spiral in, and then use some high speed path to ultimately go into a big circular spiral. When the initial circle is small, isn't the cutter effectively engaging more material, creating a greater chip load? What spiral plunge parameters do you use?

2.8 MRR is nearly the quoted maximum I've read here on the forum. I look forward to a review if you try a corncob cutter.

Thanks @cobrakai ! I've been going a little soft on the ramping. I'm using a f360 2D Adaptive op, it's ramping in at 42ipm, goes down to about 0.4doc than starts opening. The ramp is at the same RPM, it's 4 degrees, and I'm not sure about the rest of the parameters, I'll post them tomorrow. I'm not sure how consist the chipload is throughout the two parts but I know add I have it currently it's a little less aggressive in the ramp than it is during the rest of the time. Notice the bird's nest. That's something I need to play with a bit I've just been spending most of the time getting the mrr up on the rest of the op. .

I'm really quite happy with how well it's going but I want to get something a little better, in half inch, thigh what I really need is a 3/16in cutter as well. I have over an hour of cutting with a 3/16in em in this fixture so that's where I can really cut some time down. I'm currently running a Destiny Viper faster than an M.A. Ford, Keyocera and a couple other 3/16 end mills I've tried. If anyone has a kick ass 3/16 end mill with 0.75in loc I'd love to hear about that too! I'll share everything I find out as well.

I found recently I can get the same MRR with a 1/4" end mill as I can with a 1/2" as long as my geometry suits the DOC. These machines are limited by horsepower, and at 1hp, I can get 3 cubic inches per min in 6061 with a 1/4" end mill and they are a lot cheaper than a 1:2". This is running 6000rpm, .6"DOC,.05" WOC and 100 ipm. End mill is YG1CUTTINGTOOLS alupower 3 flute.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dPXj9FKwFXYm

That's at 0.6 or 0.06in DOC with that quarter inch cutter?

I'm all for cheaper bits, at this point actually I'm willing to pay anything if it will remove material faster, really..for production's sake. I can see that a 0.25in bit wouldn't bog the machine down but I am getting to the max cutting ipm on my machine as well, it's 110ipm I think, and I'm running the half inch bit at 100-103ipm so the only real place to go from here is more WOC or DOC, or both, which I'm having a hard time grasping a 0.25 or 0.375 bit will take more of than a 0.5in bit .

I do agree the Tormach 1100 is being pushed pretty hard and probably can't even run a half inch bit optimally, but I'm not sold on more MMR from a 3/8 or 1/4in end mill at any feed/speed/DOC/WOC combo than a 1/2in end mill.
    I would live to be proven wrong, like you said, they are cheaper and for my application using a smaller but will leave less rest material to remove so it would be fantastic if it were the case.

Here's a shout if the parts I'm making with this recipe of 1/2in roughing and 3/16 finishing.

That's at 0.6 or 0.06in DOC with that quarter inch cutter?

I'm all for cheaper bits, at this point actually I'm willing to pay anything if it will remove material faster, really..for production's sake. I can see that a 0.25in bit wouldn't bog the machine down but I am getting to the max cutting ipm on my machine as well, it's 110ipm I think, and I'm running the half inch bit at 100-103ipm so the only real place to go from here is more WOC or DOC, or both, which I'm having a hard time grasping a 0.25 or 0.375 bit will take more of than a 0.5in bit .

I do agree the Tormach 1100 is being pushed pretty hard and probably can't even run a half inch bit optimally, but I'm not sold on more MMR from a 3/8 or 1/4in end mill at any feed/speed/DOC/WOC combo than a 1/2in end mill.
    I would live to be proven wrong, like you said, they are cheaper and for my application using a smaller but will leave less rest material to remove so it would be fantastic if it were the case.

Here's a shout if the parts I'm making with this recipe of 1/2in roughing and 3/16 finishing.

That is .6" deep. If you watch the video, you can see the length of the chips. My point was not that you can remove more than a half inch end mill, but that you are limited in horsepower, so it doesn't matter what size the end mill, you are typically not going to get more than 3 cubic inches per horsepower in aluminum. You can with a specialty cutter like the shear hog. I have one, but it can't get into small corners etc. If I were going to try a new endmill that may do better than 3 cu", I would look at the destiny tool diamondback. It is made specifically for roughing aluminum, and comes in any diamter

Cool, I was hoping you were going to say that. I certainly wound love to use the smaller bit, to get into the corners more, and leave less for this sorry ass 3/16 bit to have to deal with. Do you think I can hit 2.8 or 3 ci with the 3/8in diamondback ?

Quote Originally Posted by AUSTINMACHINING View Post
    I found recently I can get the same MRR with a 1/4" end mill as I can with a 1/2" as long as my geometry suits the DOC. These machines are limited by horsepower, and at 1hp, I can get 3 cubic inches per min in 6061 with a 1/4" end mill and they are a lot cheaper than a 1:2". This is running 6000rpm, .6"DOC,.05" WOC and 100 ipm. End mill is YG1CUTTINGTOOLS alupower 3 flute.
    A 1/4" endmill will certainly have FAR more flex than a 1/2" endmill (roughly 1/4 the stiffness), especially at that depth. If cheap is your goal, do what I do - use HSS endmills. I do most of my roughing at 6000 RPM, up to 150 IPM with 1/2" HSS endmills in 6061. They only cost about $12 each, and with proper toolpaths, last a looooong time, even running maximum MRR. When a tool gets too tired to use for final finishing, I delegate it to roughing duty, to get even more life out of it. On low HP machines, carbide makes sense mostly on smaller tools, to limit flex.

Regards,
    Ray L.

I'm not going for cheap tho, it's a nice byproduct if it will move as much material but I'm looking for the most removal. If I can remove as much as fast with a 3/8in em as I am with a 1/2in em than I'm all in, I'm just a bit skeptical. I will certainly pay more for more removal, however I get it.

Tom - if you want to increase the speed of the machine you can modify the .ini file pretty easily.

I am not sure how fast the 1100 can go but my novakon pulsar I have cranked up to 300ipm per axis! I even had it running 420 ipm but would occasionally miss steps.
    Combined axis movement on the rapids are over 500ipm.

To find the ini file hit ctl-shift-x i believe. Then type in gnome-panel. This will bring up the desktop.

Open up file explorer and look for the tmc folder and then configs -> tormach_mill

Open up tormach_1100_3.ini and then you see sections like this for each axis. Axis 0=x Axis 1=Y Axis 2=Z and remember the units are per second, so for IPM multiply x60.

[AXIS_0]
    TYPE = LINEAR
    HOME = 0.000

# Default=110 in/min 1.833/30.0
    MAX_VELOCITY = 5
    MAX_ACCELERATION = 22

# 20 % higher max-vel and 50% higher maxaccel for backlash comp 7.2/26
    STEPGEN_MAX_VEL = 6
    STEPGEN_MAXACCEL = 26
    ---------

Also to set max combined axis velocity it's this section:

[TRAJ]
    AXES = 4
    COORDINATES = X Y Z A
    LINEAR_UNITS = inch
    ANGULAR_UNITS = degree
    DEFAULT_VELOCITY = 1.5
    MAX_VELOCITY = 7.5

---------

Don't worry you can always change things back if you hear the steppers stall/squeal a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by brianbonedoc View Post
    Tom - if you want to increase the speed of the machine you can modify the .ini file pretty easily.

I am not sure how fast the 1100 can go but my novakon pulsar I have cranked up to 300ipm per axis! I even had it running 420 ipm but would occasionally miss steps.
    Combined axis movement on the rapids are over 500ipm.

To find the ini file hit ctl-shift-x i believe. Then type in gnome-panel. This will bring up the desktop.

Open up file explorer and look for the tmc folder and then configs -> tormach_mill

Open up tormach_1100_3.ini and then you see sections like this for each axis. Axis 0=x Axis 1=Y Axis 2=Z and remember the units are per second, so for IPM multiply x60.

[AXIS_0]
    TYPE = LINEAR
    HOME = 0.000

# Default=110 in/min 1.833/30.0
    MAX_VELOCITY = 5
    MAX_ACCELERATION = 22

# 20 % higher max-vel and 50% higher maxaccel for backlash comp 7.2/26
    STEPGEN_MAX_VEL = 6
    STEPGEN_MAXACCEL = 26
    ---------

Also to set max combined axis velocity it's this section:

[TRAJ]
    AXES = 4
    COORDINATES = X Y Z A
    LINEAR_UNITS = inch
    ANGULAR_UNITS = degree
    DEFAULT_VELOCITY = 1.5
    MAX_VELOCITY = 7.5

---------

Don't worry you can always change things back if you hear the steppers stall/squeal a bit.
    Oh God, you just got me all excited! I'm pretty much got all my step/depts dialed in to be perfect under the 110 limit. I think there are a few ops I could use an extra 10-20% tho. I'm gonna check it out, I may be chasing you down with more questions soon!

Page 1 of 2 12