584,814 active members*
5,148 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Shopmaster/Shoptask > Drawings Needed for Eldorado Bridgemill Ball Screw Upgrade

Exclamation Drawings Needed for Eldorado Bridgemill Ball Screw Upgrade

Does anyone have drawings or schematics for the ends of the acme lead screws (x, y, z axes) which came standard on the Shopmaster Eldorado Bridgemill 3-in-1 as manufactured circa 2004. I am interested to upgrade this unit to ball screws; unfortunately, JT at Shopmaster no longer offers these as upgrades. Although there are many alternatives available for online purchase, the ends would need to be machined so as match the factory-installed screws. I am trying to avoid disassembling my machine to make these drawings before ordering and assume others have faced this problem in the past.

Thanks for any assistance!

Re: Drawings Needed for Eldorado Bridgemill Ball Screw Upgrade

Seems we are both in the same position. I would also like to upgrade to ball screws. I'd really like to do the dual screw Z axis that Chuck made years ago. Anyone out there that upgraded and still has the old acme threads laying around, this would be a good start for how to machine the ends.

The way that was done in the old days was Chuck would cut the original ends from the acme screws, machine them, and pin them to the new ball screws, so there were never any originals leftover. Unfortunately Chuck is no longer with us, so one of you may have to bite the bullet and make the drawings off your original screws.

I don't think that was always the case ...when I did my swap years ago I kept my original ones got them stashed somewhere.. maybe it changed with the addition of threading ... mine is before that

Quote Originally Posted by caddycarlo View Post
    I don't think that was always the case ...when I did my swap years ago I kept my original ones got them stashed somewhere.. maybe it changed with the addition of threading ... mine is before that
    If you can find them, any chance of making up drawings of them, or would you be willing to let someone borrow them to make drawings?

solonarch I am in the same position have the same machine . I had all the info but it was saved on a thumbdrive that got ruined. Anyways if there is anyway we can help each other let me know . I got Solidworks CAD available

Quote Originally Posted by Sprint 77 View Post
    solonarch I am in the same position have the same machine . I had all the info but it was saved on a thumbdrive that got ruined. Anyways if there is anyway we can help each other let me know . I got Solidworks CAD available
    Thanks for this reply. I have not gotten back to solving this problem yet and have not disassembled my machine to take measurements. If anyone has photos or measurements of the ACME lead screw ends for the circa 2004 Shopmaster Bridgemill, that would be a good start.

Open to suggestions. Have you determined the type and grade of ball screw your intend to use? I would prefer to retain manual setting options and dial use if possible - although unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by solonarch View Post
    Thanks for this reply. I have not gotten back to solving this problem yet and have not disassembled my machine to take measurements. If anyone has photos or measurements of the ACME lead screw ends for the circa 2004 Shopmaster Bridgemill, that would be a good start.

Open to suggestions. Have you determined the type and grade of ball screw your intend to use? I would prefer to retain manual setting options and dial use if possible - although unlikely.
    I am going to use a flange nut type ball screw from hobby cnc Rex industries. I am going to mount the Z st back of mill and leave scew stationary and turn the nut instead . I got lots of it modeled up already
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Z-ball screw assembly Shoptask and Bridgemill.jpg  

A few years ago I acquired an extra ShopMaster 2000 which had been converted to ball screws for a CNC project. I only wanted the QuadraLift device to convert my existing machine. I also got the original acme screws which had had their ends cut off for use on the made-up ball screw shafts. I fabricated new, duplicate ends for the acme screws and returned the machine to original, manual usage. I'd be happy to sell off the ball screw setups, complete with ShopTask compatible ends. I'll never use these for CNC. Not sure if the 2000 version is long enough for the later Bridgemill bed. PM or post reply here if you want these ball screw shafts or if you want some dimensions from them.

Patrick
    Fremont CA

Potentially interested. Just sent you a PM. Thx!

Hi Patrick, I'm interested in the screws, could you contact me? I'm right up the road from you

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shopmaster ballscrews 9.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	52.8 KB 
ID:	456486Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shopmaster ballscrews 10.jpg 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	456488Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thomson ball nut spec.jpg 
Size:	116.7 KB 
ID:	456490

Hello photokev, Patrick was gracious enough to sell me the screws before the holidays - although they only recently arrived! I have attached photos in my previous two posts of the screws and the ends. I included a Thomson catalogue page for the relevant ball nuts: 0.631 x 0.200 (5/8" screw with 5-pitch thread). Hopefully this will be of some assistance to you. Let me know if you need anything further...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ball Nut Specification.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	116.9 KB 
ID:	456500

I have Nook ball screws for my Bridgemill Shopmaster Shoptask eldorado . Looking for others that want to finally tackle a decent z axis solution