586,013 active members*
4,032 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

To touchscreen - or not

My winter upgrades and new enclosure are coming to an end. With the new monitor location it would be really convenient to run a touchscreen. However, I've read several reports of wet hands/fly on the screen/etc. creating issues with the touchscreen monitor.

I know it's been hashed over a bit here and there - but would like to compile some input here on the pros/cons of touch screen. Really more the cons I suppose.

Thanks for any input.

WW
    Manufacturing & Development
    ThermaeCooling.com

Re: To touchscreen - or not

Wet hand support and fly-rejection depends on the touch screen technology--

Tormach's Monoprice uses resistive touch which works fine with wet hands and flies don't bother it. Resistive is usually the lowest cost to implement. Downsides are long term longevity and a bit of optical clarity.

Optical touch technologies are cheap and ok with wet hands but flies can set them off. They tend to have deep bezels which can collect dirt, but have the best optical clarity.

Capacitive-touch screens are most common for today's consumer PCs, tablets and phones. Bad with wet hands but ok with flies. Usually more expensive than either of the previous two, but higher volume helps keep prices lower.

Surface Acoustic Wave (SAW) is good with wet hands and flies plus has good optical clarity and lasts longer than resistive but is generally only available in industrial monitors so costs more.

Finding one supported by PP is another story if you don't get the Tormach one.

Re: To touchscreen - or not

Thanks shred. Seems I was reading a thread where users had screen lock with the Tormach supplied touch screen - but possibly I'm confusing threads. I think I'll give it a go. If I hate it can switch back.

WW
    Manufacturing & Development
    ThermaeCooling.com