585,752 active members*
3,871 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Mach4 Operating System Catch 22
Page 1 of 3 123

Mach4 Operating System Catch 22

I'm putting together my first CNC build. It is a G0704 and I'm using Hoss's instructions.

An unanticipated problem I'm having is that the BOB he recommends (and that I've already bought) requires a parallel interface. According to the Mach4 requirements, Parallel ports are only supported with their plugins using Windows 7.

Unfortunately, you can't buy Windows 7 anymore, and the computer I plan to use to run this thing doesn't have an operating system yet. I've tried to reclaim an older machine's Windows 7 Product Key, but since it was OEM, Microsoft won't let me download an ISO to install on this other machine.

So, I fear I might have to buy a different BOB that will support Mach4 using USB or some other interface.

What do you guys recommend for someone starting now. I'd hate to buy old software, and I really don't like using Parallel ports anyway since they are really out of date. I'm afraid I wasted money on this Parallel BOB, but I don't want to chase good money after bad by buying a bunch of out-dated software (even if I could find Windows 7 somewhere).

What do you guys recommend?

Re: Mach4 Operating System Catch 22

You need to buy a Mach4 motion controller that has a parallel port or 26pin IDC interface, which will allow your breakout board to plug into it.
    The Ethernet Smooth Stepper is one.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Or ditch Mach4 all together and do LinuxCNC.
    Inner Vision Development Corp. - http://www.ivdc.com
    Website Design & Development. Shopping Carts, SEO and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Connor View Post
    Or UCCNC, like quite a few others are doing.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by Connor View Post
    This is an attractive alternative since the machine I'm using already has Ubuntu on it.

Quote Originally Posted by denvermatt View Post
    This is an attractive alternative since the machine I'm using already has Ubuntu on it.
    You would want to install it from a official LinuxCNC ISO because it has to be a Real Time Kernel.. but.. yea.. no need to pay MS for the operating system, or pay for the control software either..

Thanks Conner, downloading the image now.

Are you aware of any problems running this on a 64-bit machine? I thought I saw somewhere it was 32-bit.

Microsoft really hung a lot of people out to dry when they stopped generating licenses for the OS.

Linux is a great option as well, but if you have purchased a Mach4 license you might be money ahead going for Mach 4. Send me a PM if you need some help.

Thanks Conner, downloading the image now.

Are you aware of any problems running this on a 64-bit machine? I thought I saw somewhere it was 32-bit.
    You will not have issues with that. The ISO is 32 bit and will run on a 64 bit machine no problem. All mine are 64 bit. You might have jitter issues. Some machines don't do real time very good. This is a PC and not a laptop right? Also you can login to the IRC chat channel at chat.freenode.net channel #linuxcnc Lots of people in there to that are willing to help.

I wouldn't be so quick to dis the parallel port. It has some unique capabilities specific to our needs that are hard to replicate with newer I/O choices. If you are on a budget, all the inexpensive hardware needs a parallel port.

Older PCs in excellent condition are easy to find, with licensed Windows XP. They are usually free. I picked up 2, configured both exactly the same, and dedicated one to running CNC machines, with the other as a spare. I also set aside a 2nd boot partition on both to load LinuxCNC. Network it to your modern Win 7/10 64-bit for your CAD/CAM software, and make some chips.

Quote Originally Posted by AR1911 View Post
    I wouldn't be so quick to dis the parallel port. It has some unique capabilities specific to our needs that are hard to replicate with newer I/O choices. If you are on a budget, all the inexpensive hardware needs a parallel port.
    ...like what??? An example would be very useful otherwise you sound like somebody who don't have a clue... As far as I know, parallel port is a dinosaur, has zero advantages over the more modern Ethernet based interfaces.

Quote Originally Posted by AR1911 View Post
    Older PCs in excellent condition are easy to find, with licensed Windows XP. They are usually free. I picked up 2, configured both exactly the same, and dedicated one to running CNC machines, with the other as a spare. I also set aside a 2nd boot partition on both to load LinuxCNC. Network it to your modern Win 7/10 64-bit for your CAD/CAM software, and make some chips.
    The guy bought a Mach4 license and you want him to degrade to Windows XP just to be able to run parallel port? You must be joking.

I'm putting together my first CNC build. It is a G0704 and I'm using Hoss's instructions.

An unanticipated problem I'm having is that the BOB he recommends (and that I've already bought) requires a parallel interface. According to the Mach4 requirements, Parallel ports are only supported with their plugins using Windows 7.

Unfortunately, you can't buy Windows 7 anymore, and the computer I plan to use to run this thing doesn't have an operating system yet. I've tried to reclaim an older machine's Windows 7 Product Key, but since it was OEM, Microsoft won't let me download an ISO to install on this other machine.

So, I fear I might have to buy a different BOB that will support Mach4 using USB or some other interface.

What do you guys recommend for someone starting now. I'd hate to buy old software, and I really don't like using Parallel ports anyway since they are really out of date. I'm afraid I wasted money on this Parallel BOB, but I don't want to chase good money after bad by buying a bunch of out-dated software (even if I could find Windows 7 somewhere).

What do you guys recommend?
    If you already paid for the Mach4 why don't you give it a chance? You don't need to run parallel port, get a better interface like ESS and you will never look back.

If you want something else than Mach4 then buy UCCNC and a UC400ETH or UC300ETH motion controller. Total costs less than $200 or there about and you can happily use Windows10. You don't need a cable connected to the PC, can go through a LAN switch and have the machine in another room far away from you if you want to. You can use a laptop as well, anything that can run UCCNC. Apart from that, you get excellent support from CNC Drive, the company making UCCNC and the motion controllers. No need for dedicated CNC PC, unless you feel you really need one.

Do some research on the ESS system before dropping more money, because it cannot do threading. They do not have a feedback to maintain rpm/feedrate on a lathe or a way to properly modulate RPM from a spindle sensor.. For strictly milling it's not a major issue, but still has drawbacks. Warp 9 has been aware of this deficiency for a number of years and has been promising a fix, but it has not happened yet. BTW, I tried both the USB and ESS versions and really could never get either one to work properly.

Use a pokeys or uccnc then
    http://danielscnc.webs.com/

being disabled is not a hindrance it gives you attitude
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

You can buy sealed OEM Window7 professional on eBay for about $35 and they are real and legal

Quote Originally Posted by A_Camera View Post
    ...like what??? An example would be very useful otherwise you sound like somebody who don't have a clue... As far as I know, parallel port is a dinosaur, has zero advantages over the more modern Ethernet based interfaces.

The guy bought a Mach4 license and you want him to degrade to Windows XP just to be able to run parallel port? You must be joking.
    I normally would not reply to a post like this because of the belligerent attitude, but In this case I'll expand in case someone else is interested.

For someone doing a first conversion (like the OP), the Parallel port interface has a few advantages:
    - the hardware is cheap. You can often do a complete conversion on an older small CNC machine for $100
    - You get up to 25 discrete pins. You can trace signals with a cheap VOM.
    - You get simultaneous output on each pins (parallel) rather than queued signals on a serial (USB) interface. No latency.

Is it technically superior to ethernet or USB? Of course not, but if you are getting your feet wet with your first CNC conversion, working with "this pin is X direction, this pin is X clock" helps a great deal understanding the process. For a non-EE hobbyist, this is very useful. "Benchtop machines" and "Mach3/4" seems to indicate most of the people here are not making a living with their CNC project.

Once you get the axes moving and the spindle spinning, and make some chips, it's easy to see where a dedicated motion controller might improve your setup. Right now I'm working with 2 lathes and a mill, all using Mach 3 but with different choices for BOB, drives and motors. If I run into limitations on any of them I'll be looking for something better. So far it hasn't happened.

Sure, you can skip all this and buy a Haas VMC and pay a guy to train you on it. That's an exaggerated extreme, but there will always be something technically superior to whatever we are using. Sometimes good enough is good enough.

Having said all that, if the OP is building his mill to make parts to sell, then by all means he should invest in the most current technology with the right cost/benefit ratio, and the fastest, most reliable path to making parts.

The OP has Mach4 not 3 The pp plugin is quite different to Mach3 It's not as easy as Mach3

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by daniellyall View Post
    The OP has Mach4 not 3 The pp plugin is quite different to Mach3 It's not as easy as Mach3
    It also doesn't support all features of Mach4.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

I'll give you an example of an advantage of a parallel port interface over Ethernet - Price. You can get a parallel port card for a PC for about $10, or dig one out of an older PC for free. An ethernet solution may be "better", but how good do you need for a G0704 conversion. I have LinuxCNC on a old Pentium 5 desktop running a G0704 at 200+ IPM with no issues. What more than that is needed. My particular PC that I am using is a surplus PC that I got from a local business for free because they were upgrading. All it needed was a HDD and I have many of those. I also run GRBL but that is another story.

The OP never said that he bought Mach4. He only asked about the Mach4 parallel port interface. I don't see anywhere where he said that he bought it.

He said he's going by hoss's instructions Hoss use's Mach4, (work from that) The pp plug for M4 is only basic fiction It has a lot off function it can not do, It would be fine on a simple machine like what the op would want to start with, but if he wonted some fancy stuff he will have to get another board.

Yes Linux would give him more function but does Linux support the board he has now.

Going to Mach3 why It's dead

Linux sure
    UCCNC yep good option
    Mach4 he may own a licences

Yes Mach3 is simple to set up but hoss did some vids that lay it all out if you use his setup with Mach4.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 3 123