584,837 active members*
5,879 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > How to Set up a Huanyang VFD and 2.2KW Air Cooled Spindle
Page 4 of 4 234

Re: How to Set up a Huanyang VFD and 2.2KW Air Cooled Spindle

Quote Originally Posted by Eldon_Joh View Post
    The shield should be grounded at both ends from the vfd to the motor. depending on the nature of your machine its also good to ensure an extra ground path from the motor to the frame of the machine, that way in the case of an electrical failure you don't send substantial current through the linear bearings or the ballscrews.

The 3 phases from the vfd are square waves of continuously varying duty cycle, they average out to get a sine wave current in the motor. the sharp rising and falling edges (and the ringing that occurs) is as high as 400 volts per microsecond and the frequency is as high as 1Mhz. the 350 volt bus of the vfd means there can be substantial current flowing at that frequency, as that +/-170 vdc square wave at the pwm frequency of the drive charges up and discharges the parasitic capacitance of the motor windings to ground, and that's the reason you need to ground the motor.. otherwise you can shock yourself pretty good on an ungrounded motor driven by a vfd, or the current will flow through something else and cause problems.

even the voltage on the cable can radiate through near field capacitance into other signal wires and mess your machine up, shielding it solves that problem, but only if the shield is grounded to the vfd.
    Square wave pattern. That makes sense.
    Thanks.
    So yeah go ahead and attach the shielding to the earth point on the VFD it can share the motor earth point.
    Then connect the shielding at the other end to the chassis.
    Got it thanks.

I wonder. Why the Chinese don’t Earth at all!

Quote Originally Posted by simjim33 View Post
    Square wave pattern. That makes sense.
    Thanks.
    So yeah go ahead and attach the shielding to the earth point on the VFD it can share the motor earth point.
    Then connect the shielding at the other end to the chassis.
    Got it thanks.

I wonder. Why the Chinese don’t Earth at all!
    Only if the Chassis is bonded to Earth / Ground then the shield connection will be affective

You wonder why the Chinese don't use Earth/Ground connection ( the smart people do), but it really is a secret weapon, it called population control, check out the statistics on electrocution
    Mactec54

Loren,

I can't thank you enough for these settings. I've been beating my head against the wall for 2 months now with this thing. It worked intermittently, so I kept struggling with it. Yesterday, I finally had enough, and set out to find SOMEBODY who had the correct settings... IN PLAIN ENGLISH.... I tried several others, and they all ended the same.. no bueno. Yours is the first set of clear instructions that actually work flawlessly. So, you helped one guy out here at least, and I wanted to thank you for it! I can sleep now. FYI, I tried the mactec settings and suggestions before, and they didn't work. That's just me I'm sure, but they most certainly did not work. I'm sure he's a smart guy, but at least for me, his settings did not work, yours did. Again, thank you!

Can someone explain what the MAIN and BASE frequency actually do? And why do these guides have us setting them to 400Hz? Why does it default to 50?

I read another post that said to change base frequency to 60 for 60Hz power. Which would make sense that the default was 50 since China uses 50Hz power....

Quote Originally Posted by devinw View Post
    Can someone explain what the MAIN and BASE frequency actually do? And why do these guides have us setting them to 400Hz? Why does it default to 50?

I read another post that said to change base frequency to 60 for 60Hz power. Which would make sense that the default was 50 since China uses 50Hz power....
    Why does it default to 50Hz depending on what country they are manufactured for can be 60Hz this is the standard frequency used for a regular Ac 3Ph motor

The name plate or motor spec's is what you have to set your VFD Parameters to failing to set them correctly you will for sure smoke the motor you are trying to run

You read wrong or where miss informed setting a 60Hz Base frequency would mean you where running a regular AC 3Ph motor for NA which can beset up to 120Hz
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Why does it default to 50Hz depending on what country they are manufactured for can be 60Hz this is the standard frequency used for a regular Ac 3Ph motor

The name plate or motor spec's is what you have to set your VFD Parameters to failing to set them correctly you will for sure smoke the motor you are trying to run

You read wrong or where miss informed setting a 60Hz Base frequency would mean you where running a regular AC 3Ph motor for NA which can beset up to 120Hz
    Thanks! I see now. It looks like a lot of these Chinese spindles for the CNC 6040s are 400Hz base, but I will double check the specs on mine before running it!

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    NA has split Phase supply 2 Hot wires which are 180 degrees apart, each Hot wire is only 120v for residential supply
    they take turns at being the return wire ( Neutral )
    Reminds me of the often used mid-term electrical exam question.
    If 120v L1 circuits have a total load of 30amps.
    The 120v L2 circuits have a total load of 15 amps, what is the total current in the shared neutral, and why?
    Any Takers??
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

And the answer is!
    15amps.

Easier to see if the load in L1-N is 15amps, and L2-N is 15amps, the current in the neutral is zero amps.
    The Neutral currents cancel each other, therefor the current is between L1 and L2 only ..
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Page 4 of 4 234