584,849 active members*
4,055 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > CNC Swiss Screw Machines > Tool nose radius G42 and G41, T=

Tool nose radius G42 and G41, T=

When programming using the G42 and G41, I am trying to figure out how to use the tool nose direction chart for the three tools on channel 1 opposing tools(see circled in red below). My question is do I imagine it is on the front side or the back side, for the "T" section in the offsets page? Thank you

The machine: tornos delta 20/4 (same as Tsugami bo204)

Re: Tool nose radius G42 and G41, T=

Not sure about the tornos, but on a B0204 a standard front turn tool would be G41 Tool position 4 when programming Z+ (feeding out of guide bushing)

Same tool position, G42 if going Z- (into guide bushing)

The fact that the tools on the right gang are updide down does not affect anyhting at all. They are still on the same side of the cut, just clocked 180* apart from the front gang.

If the right gang tools were facing up, then G41/G42 would be reversed and position would become 3, but because the left gang is facing up and the right gang is facing down, the Cutter comp and tool nose position is the same as the Left gang.

Make sense?
    CNC Product Manager / Training Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by MCImes View Post
    Not sure about the tornos, but on a B0204 a standard front turn tool would be G41 Tool position 4 when programming Z+ (feeding out of guide bushing)

Same tool position, G42 if going Z- (into guide bushing)

The fact that the tools on the right gang are updide down does not affect anyhting at all. They are still on the same side of the cut, just clocked 180* apart from the front gang.

If the right gang tools were facing up, then G41/G42 would be reversed and position would become 3, but because the left gang is facing up and the right gang is facing down, the Cutter comp and tool nose position is the same as the Left gang.

Make sense?
    I have the Tsugami BO programming book as well. The z direction is opposite on the tornos(z- feed out of the guide bushing). Just to clarify, you would not use position "1 or 2" (on the B0204) for a facing tool whether it is on the right the left side gang?

Since you are familar with the tsugami, would you be familar what this device is?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails File_001.jpg   File_000.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by ecsurfer2 View Post
    I have the Tsugami BO programming book as well. The z direction is opposite on the tornos(z- feed out of the guide bushing). Just to clarify, you would not use position "1 or 2" (on the B0204) for a facing tool whether it is on the right the left side gang?
    In that case, just read my post in regards to Z travel direction.
    When traveling Z- it would be G42 Position 3
    When traveling Z+ it would be G41 same position. I was thinking about my lathe in my last post. A swiss would have the same tool nose direction regardless of direction of travel. My lathe is different because on my sub spindle I have a separate tool facing the opposite direction, thus making it position 4.

The back working tool post tool position will depend on which way you face the tool, so I can't advise on that.

And what is in the pictures? thats a damn good question. Tornos is an odd duck. Who know what that is for. It doesnt necessarily look like a factory accessory. Did you buy the machine used?
    CNC Product Manager / Training Consultant

Yes, we purchased it used. It only had a few hours on it and basically new, but was missing some parts and hit in the back, which took out the high pressure valves; I am rebuilding at the moment. We purchase manuals from Tornos and I found one picture in the manual(see pic below) so I know it screws on top of the gang, where I am holding in the 2nd picture. I guess ill be making a call to tornos or I could trace the wire back. I cannot find it in any of the drawing in the parts manual. Your probably right it was some type of accessory option.

I haven't had a lot of luck with information with them. I was trying to buy this parts catcher accessory that sits on the outside of the machine, which is in there Tornos magazine and they have no idea what it is. So I just welded one up this weekend.

Thanks for the help!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture5.jpg