584,805 active members*
4,854 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread milling questions

I am new to thread milling. I need to cut internal and external 7/16-20 threads in Delrin. I have a Tormach 34694 thread mill. What should I use for DoC and feed and how do I calculate it? I have GWizard but I'm confused how to enter the parameters. I assume that "tool diameter" should be the shank diameter (3/16) rather than the cutting diameter (0.180). Does 3.2ipm at 3500 rpm (so that I don't have to move the belt) seem reasonable? I hate to break things!

Re: Thread milling questions

Try this calculator

Micro 100 Speed and Feed Calculator

I entered .180 cutter diameter 4 flute, put in a max rpm of 5000. You want the cutter diameter to calculate your feed rate, not the shaft size.

and its saying at 5000rpms, to run it at 25ipm. Delrin is very forgiving when it comes to thread milling, a great material to practice it on.
    Work: Hurco VMX42/VMX50 - Shopsabre 4896 - Bobcad V4 4axis pro
    Home: RF45 with Ajax CNC Controller - Bobcad V27 3 axis pro

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    I assume that "tool diameter" should be the shank diameter (3/16) rather than the cutting diameter (0.180).
    Absolutely NOT! Tool diameter is ALWAYS the outer diameter of the cutting teeth! For a threadmill, it is the OD of the profiled teeth. For threadmilling, you also want to compensate the feed for the helical path. This means feedrate will be much HIGHER when cutting external threads, and LOWER when cutting internal threads. I don't use GWizard, so can't give any specific advice for that tool. I VERY much prefer HSMAdvisor for all feed and speed calculations.

Regards,
    Ray L.

I tried the Micro 100 calculator (thanks MikeC8!) which claims to be a version of HSMAdvisor.

I understand that you need the tip diameter to calculate the feed rate (based on the diameter of the tool path) plus to get the SFM based on cutter RPM. I assume that you need the tool length and neck diameter plus DoC to ensure that you don't break things by feeding too aggressively. The Micro 100 calculator asks for tool length but not the neck diameter. Perhaps I'm missing it (what is "APT"?) but I don't see DoC.

I tried the Micro 100 calculator (thanks MikeC8!) which claims to be a version of HSMAdvisor.

I understand that you need the tip diameter to calculate the feed rate (based on the diameter of the tool path) plus to get the SFM based on cutter RPM. I assume that you need the tool length and neck diameter plus DoC to ensure that you don't break things by feeding too aggressively. The Micro 100 calculator asks for tool length but not the neck diameter. Perhaps I'm missing it (what is "APT"?) but I don't see DoC.
    The F&S tools don't care about "neck diameter". It is your responsibility to ensure you don't try to cut threads that are too deep for the tool. In use, you'll be making cuts only a few thou or at most tens of thou, deep, not burying the tool anywhere near the point that neck diameter is any kind of issue.

APT is Advance Per Tooth, basically chipload. DOC is something you get to pick, keeping in mind threadmills are rather fragile tools. Start light, and see what works. It will vary widely depending on the tool, and the thread size being cut. Usually when threadmilling, I will make multiple passes, keeping feed as high as possible, and allowing for a 0.005-0.010" final pass. It rarely takes more than 2, or at most 3, passes, and results in very smooth, close-fitting threads.

Regards,
    Ray L.

The calculator at Micro100 website is a clone on online FSWizard that I made available fir them.
    It is not HSMAdvisor.

And unlike anything else, HSMAdvisor actually considers the neck diameter and length when making calculations.

That said, you will not have any problems cutting delrin.
    Just make sure to pick parameters that your machine will handle.

Tormach may not be able to accurately interpolate holes at high feed rate.
    http://zero-divide.net
    FSWizard:Advanced Feeds and Speeds Calculator

Thanks to everyone for their help. I used the PP conversational tab and successfully threaded some test pieces. I hate pressing Cycle Start with a delicate $35 tool!

Quote Originally Posted by zero_divide View Post
    ...Tormach may not be able to accurately interpolate holes at high feed rate.
    I regularly thread mill 4-40 holes in steel. The Tormach works well interpolating the small circles at around 5ipm, so I work backwards from that and the chip load to determine rpm.

Thanks to everyone for their help. I used the PP conversational tab and successfully threaded some test pieces. I hate pressing Cycle Start with a delicate $35 tool!
    $35.00 ? that's cheap for a threadmill -.

From Tormach.

Sorry to be late to this one. I just posted an article that details how to calculate Feeds and Speeds for thread mills in G-Wizard along with a ton of other Thread Mill information here:

https://www.cnccookbook.com/easy-gui...s-programming/

And yes, it will consider your neck diameter and the cutting forces to ensure you're not getting too much deflection.

Cheers!
    Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
    http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

If you’re just cutting delrin I would drop my cutter down the center of the hole and cut the thread in one pass.

If you’re cutting steel or some exotic material, then take multiple passes. For Aluminium or plastic, one pass.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Why is feed rate higher with external vs internal?

For an internal thread the tool moves in a rather small diameter circle and for an external thread the tool moves in a larger diameter circle. What matters is the speed of motion a the cutting surface. For an external thread the cutter must therefore move much faster than to produce the same speed at the cutting point.

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    Absolutely NOT! Tool diameter is ALWAYS the outer diameter of the cutting teeth! For a threadmill, it is the OD of the profiled teeth. For threadmilling, you also want to compensate the feed for the helical path. This means feedrate will be much HIGHER when cutting external threads, and LOWER when cutting internal threads. I don't use GWizard, so can't give any specific advice for that tool. I VERY much prefer HSMAdvisor for all feed and speed calculations.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    Ray, What do you do when dealing with tapered tools like v-engravers, chamfer tools, and tapered end mills.
    Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bob La Londe View Post
    Ray, What do you do when dealing with tapered tools like v-engravers, chamfer tools, and tapered end mills.
    Bob,

Depends on the tool and the material. For tapered tools, I generally base the feed and speed on the part of the tool actually being used, which most often ends up being somewhere between the min and max diameters. And whenever using a new tool, I do test cuts to figure out where they are really happiest on the target material and cut type. Keep in mind too that feeds and speeds are not precise calculations - they are estimates that get you in the "ballpark", and the "ideal" values will often be significantly different from what is calculated, just to the specifics of the exact tool, material, machine and setup.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    Bob,

Depends on the tool and the material. For tapered tools, I generally base the feed and speed on the part of the tool actually being used, which most often ends up being somewhere between the min and max diameters. And whenever using a new tool, I do test cuts to figure out where they are really happiest on the target material and cut type. Keep in mind too that feeds and speeds are not precise calculations - they are estimates that get you in the "ballpark", and the "ideal" values will often be significantly different from what is calculated, just to the specifics of the exact tool, material, machine and setup.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    Thanks Ray.
    Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com