585,712 active members*
3,938 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Epoxying Inserts into Granite (Granite Minimill from Atomic Force Microscope)

Epoxying Inserts into Granite (Granite Minimill from Atomic Force Microscope)

Hi all, I am building a little cnc mini mill from the granite backing of an atomic force microscope.

CAD:

I've got the spindle done-ish, needs two more plates installed. Here is the current state of the project:

Yesterday I drilled the holes for inserts into the granite:

Here is the base, which as far as I can tell is a surface plate. I measured it with a tenths indicator and the indicator barely moved.

I'm looking to epoxy in some inserts into this plate to attach the linear guide rails. However, I've heard that normal epoxy is not the way to go. Any tips on what type of epoxy to use?

Thanks a ton!!

Re: Epoxying Inserts into Granite (Granite Minimill from Atomic Force Microscope)

normal epoxy is fine. the surface area of the granite hole you just drilled will be rather high, and the tensile strength of most epoxies exceeds granite.

It took me some time researching about CNC constructions, CNC parts, casting. I decided do make a heavy epoxy granite CNC for high speed milling.

https://www.midomi.com/index.php?act...name=coymartin