584,330 active members*
6,406 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Roughing toolpaths

I just started using featurecam 2017 about two months ago. I have already programmed many parts and like the software. I have been lying and saying the stock is larger in order to get the toolpath to start futher away from the stock. I tried all the lead in and out options and can't figure out how to get the tool to plung out at a more clear area before cutting. My company got me no formal training so I have no one to ask. I have been using the vortex toolpaths a lot and like them. I looked through all the global settings and don't know. I hope someone can help me out. In gibbscam there is a clearance setting for the roughing and it will start an inch outside the stock then feeed in and go. It has to be something I'm just not seeing.

Re: Roughing toolpaths

I have not used FeatureCAM, but there is a tangent leadin function available in every CAM program I have used. Set a large tangent radius, maybe an inch +/- depending on the tool diameter and clearance.

If you haven't used FeatureCAM why would you attempt to give me a solution? I have used other cam systems as well.

You are absolutely correct, I should have looked at the program first, so I did.

I downloaded FeatureCAM, installed it (a rather lengthy process), then spent about about an hour figuring out how to use it. Pretty intuitive, but takes a bit of playing around to figure it out.

The answer is: Select the Setup operation, then Properties>Stepover> Cut Type = Spiral, Ramp Type = Arc. Play with the rest of the parameters and simulate until you create the tool path you want.

You can also set the plunge point(s) off of the material from the Properties>Plunge tab. In this case I just set one at the top, but you can set mutiple if you want.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ScreenShot.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    You are absolutely correct, I should have looked at the program first, so I did.

I downloaded FeatureCAM, installed it (a rather lengthy process), then spent about about an hour figuring out how to use it. Pretty intuitive, but takes a bit of playing around to figure it out.

The answer is: Select the Setup operation, then Properties>Stepover> Cut Type = Spiral, Ramp Type = Arc. Play with the rest of the parameters and simulate until you create the tool path you want.

You can also set the plunge point(s) off of the material from the Properties>Plunge tab. In this case I just set one at the top, but you can set mutiple if you want.

I find it hard to believe that you learned all of that in an hour. If you didn't buy the software how can you download and install it? I have tried your suggestions and they didn' t work. plunge points makes the tool path do weird things. It's almost as if there is a default clearance distance of like .020 or something small. I was hoping to get a response from someone who has been using featurecam for a long time. Thanks for your thoughts

I learn software pretty quickly and have a fair amount of experience with AutoDesk products. FeatureCAM has a free 30 day trial. Download FeatureCAM | Free Trial | Autodesk The part I used was one I'm already working with for another project in SolidWorks and MasterCAM. So I just imported the xxxx.sldprt from the SolidWorks file.

By playing around with the various settings, you can pretty much make it do anything you want. The above is an example of adaptive clearing using the Vortex function and is probably not the best tool path for that part, but I was just playing around.

I give Jim Dawson a lot of credit here. Here went out of his way to help and did his best to do it. I am glad we have people here to do that. We all learn from each other.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Was this ever figured out? Seems like feature cam lives up to its name and is pretty driven off the specific features it interprets or you select without alot for customization.