584,826 active members*
5,120 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Gantry Dimensions

Hello,I am in the process of building a 5x10' water plasma table, I've been following as many builds as I can, however I could really use some help on finalising a few questions about the gantry...
    Dimensions of the end plates, I plan to copy others with a piece of 1" aluminum on each end of a 3"x3" (thinking 3/16th) square tube. I'd like to keep the gantry as small as possible, I have a piece of 1" x 12" x 12' aluminum to work with, I realize 12" is a little narrow, but the price is right.

How high above the table would you recommend? I am thinking about 8" from the bottom of the square tube to the slats of the table.

Thanks for your time!

Re: Gantry Dimensions

Quote Originally Posted by Lostbendix View Post
    Hello,I am in the process of building a 5x10' water plasma table, I've been following as many builds as I can, however I could really use some help on finalising a few questions about the gantry...
    Dimensions of the end plates, I plan to copy others with a piece of 1" aluminum on each end of a 3"x3" (thinking 3/16th) square tube. I'd like to keep the gantry as small as possible, I have a piece of 1" x 12" x 12' aluminum to work with, I realize 12" is a little narrow, but the price is right.

How high above the table would you recommend? I am thinking about 8" from the bottom of the square tube to the slats of the table.

Thanks for your time!
    You really don't have enough information here. While I gather that your cross axis beam is going to be made from a 3/16" x 3" x 3" square tube (which I myself find to be a bit small) you have not mentioned the trucks or the station that will be mounted to the beam. How far below the beam does the station protrude? What is the stroke of the lift? What torch will you be using?