584,327 active members*
6,311 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Uncategorised WoodWorking Machines > Robot kuka for 3d milling? Opinions !!!

Robot kuka for 3d milling? Opinions !!!

I thinking to buy a robot kuka kr125 for milling, and i want to know more opinions!

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

I've seen them used for some carving operations, but not for milling metals. What were you thinking of cutting? The kinematics of robot arms are more complicated than those of Cartesian CNC machines, so it takes special software to operate one. I have links to some in the Links section of my site, under CAD/CAM software.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

hi

thanks for the reply, i want to do some sculpting on foam or mdf material, with a rotary table!!

Foam shouldn't be a problem; urethane cuts better than styrene-based foams. MDF will be tougher, but not impossible if your robot arm is rigid enough. Think about how you're going to collect the dust, since a regular dust boot like routers use won't work. How are you going to coordinate the motion of the rotary table with that of the arm? Does the controller that comes with the arm have an aux output for it?

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

I have been interested in this for a few years, but just the robot is a $$$ endeavor. There is an "easy" solution for the CAM, called IRBCAM. You feed it normal 3 axis code, and it converts it to the appropriate Robot specific code. It also supports a long linear axis, and I think a rotary as well. Of course, the market for this is quite small, and getting answers to any questions has proven too difficult for me to pursue due to the up front costs being so high as well....
    CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining and more. http://www.mcpii.com/3dservices.html

I did a small investigation a year ago, as I had available KR200 robot for similar option, but there is no "cheap" solution from software side. At that time there was Robotmaster ("plugin" form mastercam), Delcam powermil (with robot cam plugin), robot expert (sort of plugin for NX)...
    There is another possible drawback in this "old" robots, mine had KR C1 control locker which has I guess 400mhz core, and code generated from cam software could be very heavy.

Re: Robot kuka for 3d milling? Opinions !!!

Hi,
    here is my integrated KR150C1 to a killing robot:
    http://vid1204.photobucket.com/album...ps5eyppdn1.mp4
    Interested?, PM me.

hi, yes i'm interested. i have a bunch of questions. what is the best way to contact you? through here? phone call? pm? email?
    thanks
    diego

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    The kinematics of robot arms are more complicated than those of Cartesian CNC machines, so it takes special software to operate one.

Andrew Werby
    ComputerSculpture.com ? Home Page for Discount Hardware & Software
    Right now the offline robot programming from CAM software as easy as CNC machines: