584,802 active members*
5,113 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Hypermill > hyperMILL x64 + ThinkDesign x32

Question hyperMILL x64 + ThinkDesign x32

Hi!

Sorry if this post is not for this forum I'm new here.
    We use hyperMILL 2017.1 SP1 x64 and ThinkDesign 2015.2 x32.
    The problem my CNC programmers have is when they need to do calculation and simulation this process takes forever on complicated operations.
    We use HP Z600 workstation with 2 x Xeon X5675 @ 3.07 GHz, 32GB of RAM, SSD hard drives, Windows 7 x64 Pro.

We have been advised by support that sell hyperMILL and ThinkDesign licenses that we should upgrade our old workstations and although I agree with them that we should upgrade our workstations I don't see high CPU/GPU usage that would explain this investment to management.

I wonder does anyone here use this combination of 32bit CAD and 64bit CAM?

Also, even though OPEN MIND Technologies advertise they support ThinkDesign I have contacted ThinkDesign directly and they says that from 2012 they are not partners with OPEN MIND Technologies.

Can anyone share thoughts on this problem? What would you advise? Any ThinkDesign user with hyperMILL here?

Thanks for your time!

Regards!

Re: hyperMILL x64 + ThinkDesign x32

Well, you can have all the memory you want but your 32 bit software can only access about 4GB of RAM typically. Likely it also doesn't support multiple processors or even multiple cores.

The other bottleneck could be your video card; a possible upgrade could offload some of the simulation work from the CPU is the software supports graphics acceleration...