585,908 active members*
3,812 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

OPC-UA Server for FANUC Controls

As part of the HumanOS™ project we offer a comprehensive OPC-UA server for FANUC controllers in 2017. This intelligent gateway allows you to connect your machines and robots with MES, ERP, cloud applications and remote maintenance services.

Question: What are your requirements for upgrading machines (old and new) for the upcoming digitalization of the industry?

Benjamin Hadorn
    Ph.D. in Computer Science
    Founder of CyberTech Engineering GmbH
    www.cybertech-engineering.ch
    Benjamin Hadorn<br />PhD in Computer Science<br />Business Owner<br />www.cybertech-engineering.ch

Re: OPC-UA Server for FANUC Controls

Now the time has come! The HumanOS SmartGateway for FANUC controllers can be downloaded for test and evaluation purposes.
    This trial version comes with a working OPC-UA plugin and the driver plugin for FANUC controls.
    Four arbitrary data access points can be configured and tested (including alarming and history).

Instructions for installing and configuring the interface are included.

This trial version has a limited runtime of 1h.
    Feedback and suggestions are very welcome ...

Download link (only registered users): url=http://www.cybertech-engineering.ch/index.php/en/downloads/download/2-humanos-smartgateway/1-humanos-smartgateway-trial-version

Have fun :-)

Benjamin Hadorn
    Benjamin Hadorn<br />PhD in Computer Science<br />Business Owner<br />www.cybertech-engineering.ch

Briefly, which legacy controls can this be implemented on? I looked at the pdf document comparing mt-connect to opc-ua: it's in German.
    I am involved in mt-connect implementation and see no need to consider opc-ua at this time (cost is a reason).

I am aware that there are these two camps, MTConnect and OPC UA sympathizers. Therefore we at CyberTech Engineering rather focus on the customer's needs. For some businesses, you are better served with OPC-UA, on others you go for MTConnect...

I found this article helpful, which is a talk about these two protocols:
    Control Engineering

In terms of HumanOS SmartGateway, we provide both, MTConnect Agent and OPC-UA Server plugins. This means, you can connect to your machine with the protocol you prefer.

From the developer's point of view, I totally agree. I like the strategy of MTConnect to be a free and open protocol :-)

MTConnect is a one-way read-only architecture where you can display, store, analyze and output info from your CNC controller.

OPC-UA works two-way where you can read data from the CNC and also send back data from your HMI/external applications/etc.

Hope this helps save hours of exploration down the wrong path

Most Fanuc legacy controls do not even have the ability for MTConnect; how does OPC-UA plan to address that? The Control Engineering article is 9.5 years old; how relevant is it?

if the main board has an ethernet port ,MT LINK will work and for old controls can use the FACTOLINK,the precedesor of MTLINK,FACTOLINK use the RS232 port.

Can you specify which models CAN or CANNOT use FACTOLINK, and what is needed to make it work?