585,764 active members*
4,652 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Change bearings on spindle motor

Yesterday I began to hear some noises from my spindle motor - a high frequency "whining" or "whistling", it's intermittent and varies depending on speed. So I suspect the bearing - how easy are those to change yourself? It's an Omio X8-2200L-USB:

https://www.omiocnc.com/media/catalo...00l_main04.jpg

I have some skills in mechanics and have repaired/refurbished motor parts as generators, starting motors, distributors etc. but I recon this is a level above.

Re: Change bearings on spindle motor

Quote Originally Posted by dynaflux View Post
    Yesterday I began to hear some noises from my spindle motor - a high frequency "whining" or "whistling", it's intermittent and varies depending on speed. So I suspect the bearing - how easy are those to change yourself? It's an Omio X8-2200L-USB:

https://www.omiocnc.com/media/catalo...00l_main04.jpg

I have some skills in mechanics and have repaired/refurbished motor parts as generators, starting motors, distributors etc. but I recon this is a level above.
    The Bearings are quite easy to change, you will need to make the correct wrenches to undo the 2 main nuts on the Rotor the Top Nut will be left-hand thread so watch for this, what VFD Drive does your machine use, as the carrier frequency may be set to low also, check for spindle Grounding the 4th pin must be connected with a Ground wire, if not this will cause the Bearings to have a short life, so the Cable from the VFD Drive to the spindle needs to be 4-wire Shielded Cable
    Mactec54