584,802 active members*
4,769 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Smile need help wiring

I have a thermal dynamics cutmaster 51 plasma cutter with a sl60 1torch and a home built cnc gantry style table and my problem is wiring the torch to my breakout board relays. can someone help describe what i need to do this?

In thermal Dynamics machines you need to get the pins 3 and 4 at plug to start arc and the other important signal is Arc on. This signal ability the machi to run the program after the arc has been estabilished. If I am note wrong the pins for ir are 12 and 14.

Quote Originally Posted by dtman View Post
    I have a thermal dynamics cutmaster 51 plasma cutter with a sl60 1torch and a home built cnc gantry style table and my problem is wiring the torch to my breakout board relays. can someone help describe what i need to do this?
    You should probably have two wires coming into the plasma from your torch. I took one of these wires, cut it , and each wire went to one side of the relay on my BOB.
    Is that what you are looking for?
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"
    -RedGreen show.

yes, thats what i did on my other unit, but this 1torch is different, cant figure out which wires to use.

well, unless I am mistaken, you still only have 2 wires that come out of the machine, right?
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"
    -RedGreen show.

I agree there should be two wires, I also have a thermal dynamics pak master 51 and thats is exactly what there is, it was easy to hook up, but the high frequency of that unit caused me problems with my electronics, so I got this newer model. thanks for the help, I will try to determine which wires they are, there are a bunch of blue wires and a red wire it has got to be one of them.

Typically a bunch of wires the same color indicates the same signal and are used for high current rather than one big wire. Do a little tracing and look where things are connected. Find a terminal block where the wires connect. The tip volts wires will all connect back to the same place inside the unit.

TD is pretty good about publishing their manuals in PDF. The schematic for you machine will have the wire colors listed. If the SL60 is a machine torch there will not be a set of torch switch wires. There will be another place on their control board to pickup the "start" terminals.

Arrow "Start" Terminals TD 51

Quote Originally Posted by Torchhead View Post
    There will be another place on their control board to pickup the "start" terminals.
    As mentioned, the Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 51 board does have the "start" terminals for you to connect to.
    In the photo attached, the terminals to use are, E23 Torch Switch & E 25 Torch Sw Rtn.

The yellow handled screwdriver with the black blade, points to the location of these terminals, at the right side, centre of photo. This is at the end of the board, directly behind the front of the machine case.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_5401.jpg  

thank you for the pic ill give that a try.

do you have to disconnect the trigger somewhere else, and do you run the 2 wires you indicated directly to my relay?

Re: "Start" Terminals TD 51

Quote Originally Posted by Weldtutor View Post
    As mentioned, the Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 51 board does have the "start" terminals for you to connect to.
    In the photo attached, the terminals to use are, E23 Torch Switch & E 25 Torch Sw Rtn.

The yellow handled screwdriver with the black blade, points to the location of these terminals, at the right side, centre of photo. This is at the end of the board, directly behind the front of the machine case.
    I realize that this is a very old thread I have an old Cutmaster 51 that I am trying to use with new Crossfire CNC table with THC. Thank you for the picture. My question is, does it matter which wire goes to E23 or E25. My harness has one black and one white. Is there a test that can be performed?

Leave the SL60 1Torch wiring as is.

The new wires from E23 & E25 go to your relay.

A convenient way is to bring the new wires from the above terminals, to a connector mounted on the front panel of the Cutmaster. From this connector, run the wires to the CNC controlled relay.
    This allows your plasma cutter be used manually & fired by the torch switch, or the CNC.

Inside the torch there are two wires, one orange and other green ( i am not sure the secod color) They should be connect to work properly. If not the torch won't work and the arc wont be started.