585,902 active members*
4,106 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Avid CNC > New build (48"x24" - reversed) Limit switches aren't working during Ref All Home

New build (48"x24" - reversed) Limit switches aren't working during Ref All Home

Hey guys, I am having an interesting issue here.

I purchased a new 48"x24" (reversed) machine setup, and was previously using an older NEMA23 motor setup with limit switches on the Y axis, X axis and A axis (slaved to X). Whenever I would press "Ref All Home", it would slowly move the machine to those switches, and stop when they got close, which is normal.

I just upgraded to a NEMA34 motor setup, and now I cannot get the limit switches to do their jobs. The switches do light up when the machine gets too close to them, so I know they actually work. I'm sure it's just a setting somewhere like the ports and pins, but I cannot seem to figure out which port/pin combination works for this setup within MACH3. Every port I tried (1 or 2) and every pin I've tried (10-13 and 15) don't seem to work at all. I started with just the Y axis just to see if I could get a good combo to work. No dice.

If I choose the diagnostics screen within MACH3, I believe you're supposed to see the switches function over on the right hand side. There are small boxes that usually light up when the switches turn on. I can't seem to get those boxes to light up when the machine activates the switches.

On the back of the NEMA34 box, the switches are wired to the X+, Y+ and A+ connectors. Within MACH3, I have X Home, Y Home and A home checked with "Active Low" also checked within the "Input Signals" section of the Ports and Pins window. Should I be using X++, Y++ and A++ within MACH3 instead of X Home, Y Home and A Home?

Anyone have any suggestions?

Re: New build (48"x24" - reversed) Limit switches aren't working during Ref All Home

Looks like I posted a bit too soon. Ahren from CNCRP gave me some info with which to figure out this problem.

Thanks, Ahren!!

Re: New build (48"x24" - reversed) Limit switches aren't working during Ref All Home

Chris,

Not a problem. However, you may still run into issues if you are trying to use your existing XML file for your CRP500 system with the newer CRP800 controller. Our CRP800 controllers make use of port 2 on the ESS for external inputs, but also use the bi-directional pins (2-9) for a number of these inputs. You'll need to make sure the Smoothstepper is set up to use pins 2-9 on port 2 as inputs for this to function correctly, which is under Plugin Control->ESS Config.

I'd recommend starting with the correct XML file for your new setup. If you want to keep the X as your slaved axis, you will need to change this setting under config->slave axis. By default we slave the Y axis on the newer systems, as we have found this to be more intuitive to most users. Another difference from your existing system is that the slaved axis is the "B" axis in our CRP800 configuration files. This leaves the A axis DRO in the stock screenset open for rotary applications.

The best file to start with for your system is going to be this one:

http://www.cncrouterparts.com/getfil...500_16.1.5.xml

Best regards,

Ahren
    CNCRouterParts

Quote Originally Posted by ahren View Post
    Chris,

Not a problem. However, you may still run into issues if you are trying to use your existing XML file for your CRP500 system with the newer CRP800 controller. Our CRP800 controllers make use of port 2 on the ESS for external inputs, but also use the bi-directional pins (2-9) for a number of these inputs. You'll need to make sure the Smoothstepper is set up to use pins 2-9 on port 2 as inputs for this to function correctly, which is under Plugin Control->ESS Config.

I'd recommend starting with the correct XML file for your new setup. If you want to keep the X as your slaved axis, you will need to change this setting under config->slave axis. By default we slave the Y axis on the newer systems, as we have found this to be more intuitive to most users. Another difference from your existing system is that the slaved axis is the "B" axis in our CRP800 configuration files. This leaves the A axis DRO in the stock screenset open for rotary applications.

The best file to start with for your system is going to be this one:

http://www.cncrouterparts.com/getfil...500_16.1.5.xml

Best regards,

Ahren
    CNCRouterParts
    That's a good point, Ahren. I should have made it more clear that I started with the new XML file, but was taking settings from my old controller just to start things off. I managed to get everything working just fine except for those switches. I had no idea that I could view the inputs like that. Now I know ;-)

Appreciate the quick response on the weekend!