584,866 active members*
5,179 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Biesse 346 Convertion

Hello everyone. I´m about to buy a Biesse rover 346 from 1996. it has an old controller that won´t accept alot of G code lines. I want to convert it to a Mach3 controller. what would be the best way to do it??
    should I leave the old analog servos and buy a csmio/ip-a controller, should I buy new digital servos or is it possible to use closed loop steppers, and still have i running at about 20000mm/min.

all help would be greatly appreciated.

Colin

Re: Biesse 346 Convertion

Hi,

I have a Biesse 346 I am retrofitting right now as we speak. I am using LinuxCNC with mesa hardware though not Mach 3. There is over 100 relays and 48 inputs on those machines.

I dont know of anyway Mach 3 can handle that many I/O, probably there is but I dont know.

With about $600.00 worth of mesa boards you are ready to go, and LinuxCNC is opensource so it is a really nice fit. To date I have no requirements for special modules to be written. LinuxCNC should be able to handle every aspect of this machine, from all of my research. There will be very little difference between your retrofit and mine depending on the year of your Biesse 346. re: options on the Zhead, C axis or bsaw blade and/or horzontal boring etc....
    Also at some point Biesse changed from hardware relay energizing directly from the control to remote rs485 modules, which would be a tad bit more difficult but mine has hardwired relays.

Definately leave the AC servos with the drives, they are rock solid. Steppers wont move that Z head. None that I know of at least and I would definately not trust it.Over 800lbs of mass moving at 2000mm/minute is a task I wouldnt rely on steppers. Just my opinion.

Get in touch with me, LinuxCNC is not that bad to learn but it is really vesatile, I can help you with the hardware and Linuxcnc.

LinuxCNC and mesa boards will easily handle this machine. Mach3 would require writing code and a boatload of macro's to make this machine work properly. A couple have already done it though and stated they had to write code and macro's.

Just my thoughts, I dont want this to turn into a LinuxCNC vs Mach3 debate. I am saying I dont know how to do it with Mach3, some have done it so it is doable, I am just saying LinuxCNC is not hard to do it for me. I have Mach3 on a 4X4 cnc router I built and have been using daily for 4 years for hobby/commercial use, so it is not like I dont know anything about mach3.

Regards,

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bevins View Post
    Hi,

I have a Biesse 346 I am retrofitting right now as we speak. I am using LinuxCNC with mesa hardware though not Mach 3. There is over 100 relays and 48 inputs on those machines.

I dont know of anyway Mach 3 can handle that many I/O, probably there is but I dont know.

With about $600.00 worth of mesa boards you are ready to go, and LinuxCNC is opensource so it is a really nice fit. To date I have no requirements for special modules to be written. LinuxCNC should be able to handle every aspect of this machine, from all of my research. There will be very little difference between your retrofit and mine depending on the year of your Biesse 346. re: options on the Zhead, C axis or bsaw blade and/or horzontal boring etc....
    Also at some point Biesse changed from hardware relay energizing directly from the control to remote rs485 modules, which would be a tad bit more difficult but mine has hardwired relays.

Definately leave the AC servos with the drives, they are rock solid. Steppers wont move that Z head. None that I know of at least and I would definately not trust it.Over 800lbs of mass moving at 2000mm/minute is a task I wouldnt rely on steppers. Just my opinion.

Get in touch with me, LinuxCNC is not that bad to learn but it is really vesatile, I can help you with the hardware and Linuxcnc.

LinuxCNC and mesa boards will easily handle this machine. Mach3 would require writing code and a boatload of macro's to make this machine work properly. A couple have already done it though and stated they had to write code and macro's.

Just my thoughts, I dont want this to turn into a LinuxCNC vs Mach3 debate. I am saying I dont know how to do it with Mach3, some have done it so it is doable, I am just saying LinuxCNC is not hard to do it for me. I have Mach3 on a 4X4 cnc router I built and have been using daily for 4 years for hobby/commercial use, so it is not like I dont know anything about mach3.

Regards,

Bob

I’m pretty new to this whole CNC world however I work as a wind technician so I’m pretty familiar with industrial controls.

I recall reading in another thread that you had mentioned a kit being available for purchase to update the Biesse machines. I just purchased a Biesse 321r and would like to update it to use more current software and controls.

Any help would be appreciated

Jeremy

Re: Biesse 346 Convertion

Hey Bob.

My name is Alex. I bought an old 1991 Biesse 342. Very similar to yours...

Its nice to see that someone already did what youre trying to accomplish.

Im replacing old servos with newer ac servos because one servodrive was dead.

Im curious about wich mesa boards did you use to archieve it? How do you handled solenoids relays?

Sorry for my english... Im not the best writting it.

Thanks in advance. Your guiding will be deeply appreciated.