584,812 active members*
5,480 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Mach Software (ArtSoft software) > Mach3 - Homing speed much much slower than jog speed

Mach3 - Homing speed much much slower than jog speed

Hi all. I'm starting to get my 3040Z-DQ machine to behave properly with Mach3.

I notice that the jog speed (for every axis) is wonderful for a motor tune velocity of '150' (which is in the motor tuning setup window). Nice and quick. Flawless.

But, when I use the homing feature of Mach3 (for automatically taking the spindle back to a home location such as machine coordinates x=0, y=0, z=0), I can see that the travel speed of returning-to-home is very very slow (when compared with the cursor-key jog speed).

To temporarily get around this, I went into the motor tuning window to increase the speed from '150' (which was a value recommended by the user's setup manual for my 3040Z-DQ machine) to a new value of '2000'.

With a speed setting value of '2000', the homing speed is much improved - and appears satisfactory. So, the homing speed becomes normal with a setting of '2000'. However, with this setting (of '2000'), the jog speed then becomes so fast that the motors (or something) lose sync, where the sliding rails just halt, and very loud whining/wailing sounds occur - which forces me to shut off the motors before I do any nasty damage.

Then, to overcome the jog speed being too fast (with the motor velocity setting at '2000'), I then hit the 'TAB' key and then manually set the jog speed to 10 percent.

Can anyone let me know if the above is approach is satisfactory for setting up Mach3?

What I'm confused about (being a newbie and all) is....... why is jog speed at a good speed to begin with (ie. with the original velocity setting of '150'), while homing speed is slow? I was assuming that homing speed would be the same speed as 100% jog speed. I can see that (for my case) - the homing speed is clearly much different from 100 percent jog speed.

Thanks for any comments and help!

Re: Mach3 - Homing speed much much slower than jog speed

Homing speed is a percentage of the Velocity in motor tuning. You can change the homing speed percentage in Config > Homing/Limits.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Re: Mach3 - Homing speed much much slower than jog speed

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Homing speed is a percentage of the Velocity in motor tuning. You can change the homing speed percentage in Config > Homing/Limits.
    Thank you very much for your help Gerry! Greatly appreciated! Thanks again.

[UPDATE]
    Also - you helped me to finally realise that the 'speed%' value IS the 'homing speed'! I had initially and incorrectly assumed that this particular speed% setting parameter was the speed for the 'slow zone'.