584,846 active members*
4,516 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > MX-45VAE with OSP7000 tool change standby issues

MX-45VAE with OSP7000 tool change standby issues

Hello! Newbie here with some older MX-45VAE's that our company purchased used with the acquisition of a new building. Started bringing myself up to speed with getting around the machine, and was able to get programs loaded, tool changing, etc.

However when I was doing a tool change something got jammed and I instinctively hit the E-Stop. Which now I learn I should have never done. I've spent the last 3 days trying to work myself out of it. I've searched endlessly and tried all kinds of combinations of M-codes, ATC Sequencing, manually setting the sequence, etc.

Main problem seems to be centered around the fact the ATC arm will not move. It's stuck in the upright position, so I can't remove the tool that is in the spindle, and a new tool can't drop down from the magazine. I've been trying everything to get the arm to move, but I'm flat out of ideas. My boss wants me to figure it out instead of calling an Okuma rep. We aren't pressed for time, we don't usually make things for customers. Got the CNC to do tooling and one-off prototypes for the work we do, so isn't worth it to him to call a rep when I can figure it out eventually.

Main diagnostic codes that pop up when I start manually sequencing is "Tool change arm is not on STANDBY POSITION." and "Spindle Orientation is not complete"

If it's a dead sensor, any way I can check that? We have a second MX-45 that I can salvage parts from.

Thanks

Re: MX-45VAE with OSP7000 tool change standby issues

Quote Originally Posted by OkumaWiz View Post
    You appear to have gotten yourself "stuck" in the tool change cycle ...
    please check this thread: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/okuma/...ange-hang.html
    ... maybe something from there helps you

you need information from someone with same/similar control this is all i can do / kindly !

ps : maybe there is another thread in this forum about your issue; search for keywords like : atc / stuck / osp7000 / my boss

ps2 : is somehow your boss married with the Okuma rep ? or what ?
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

Quote Originally Posted by deadlykitten View Post
    please check this thread: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/okuma/...ange-hang.html
    ... maybe something from there helps you

you need information from someone with same/similar control this is all i can do / kindly !

ps : maybe there is another thread in this forum about your issue; search for keywords like : atc / stuck / osp7000 / my boss

ps2 : is somehow your boss married with the Okuma rep ? or what ?
    That thread was one of the first things I tried. Very useful, but it didn't help solve my issue.

Thankfully someone has PM'ed me offering some help with some sheets he has to work through MX-45 toolchanger issues, so this may help!

P.S. Your p.s.'s cracked me up.

P.S.S. I wouldn't even know who our okuma rep would be, or if they'd even help us with a second-hand purchased machine. Like I mentioned, we aren't a machine shop. We do aftermarket automotive lighting, and I have used a small chinese benchtop mill to do some small molds and prototypes, so when the chance came up to get two Okumas for dirt cheap since the people who were in the building before us didn't want to move it since it was too old for them (aerospace machine shop) we jumped at it. Admittedly, this head pounding issue has helped me learn a LOT about the machine, I'm now very comfortable digging through screens, understanding them, and have read through the manual carefully far too much. So maybe my boss was onto something by not taking the easy way out... meh.

someone has PM'ed me offering some help
    very nice i hope you will fix that magazine

I wouldn't even know who our okuma rep would be, or if they'd even help us with a second-hand purchased machine.
    Okuma dealer arround here said from the start that he will provide help on any Okuma issue : new, 2nd, non Okuma bar feeder, etc

ps : think again : your boss PMed you

Once the E-stop was hit, the spindle orientation was lost. That is how the problem started. You MUST get the orientation to occur before you will be able to get unstuck. The toolchanger cycle REQUIRES it in order to start moving. Check the machine tool change sequence shown for your machine in your maintenance manual. You will need to go to the orientation sequence and manually set that - being sure that you are not going to hit the keys when it orientates. (You may need to remove them and/or the tool)
    Once orientation is complete, then you need to go back to the sequence that the Arm was at when it stopped and then work your way forward or back to the start condition. CAREFULLY! If in doubt, get your rep to do it. It may be cheaper in the long run...

They will service any Okuma, although maybe not the cheapest. If you're local to the midwest, I'd be happy to give you a hand.

Best regards,
    Experience is what you get just after you needed it.

It may be cheaper in the long run ...
    nice one

Woohoo, got it fixed. HUGE thanks to the anonymous guy who PM'ed me. I'm going to rewrite the steps (some weren't entirely clear) on how to take control of the TA-axis on this OSP and was able to reset the arm into the standby mode. Once I did that, and re-zero'ed the MA axis everything was good!

Of course this is the one thing I couldn't find any info on. So I'll make sure it's posted here for future use.

Woohoo, got it fixed. HUGE thanks to the anonymous guy ...
    Santa exists

So I'll make sure it's posted here for future use
    very kind from you

ps : if you wish to futher use that machine, consider a general inspection, so to know it's current state

SOLVED.

Here is the writeup on the steps I had to take in order to manually take control of the TA-Axis to rotate it back into the standby position, zero the offsets, and get the computer back to knowing where home is. Thanks again to the people who chimed in to help, and the fellow who PM'ed me the PDF that gave me the general steps. I'm rewriting what he wrote to make it a bit clearer, and offering it up for those who run into the same problem I have.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OKUMA MX-45VAE
    Recovery of Tool Changer Arm Position

Tool changer arm is stuck in a tool change sequence due to reasons such as E-Stop being pressed.

1. First refer to the OSP700M Manual for ATC operation and recovery (Section 13-4, page 359, this may be different depending on your manual) to manually advance ATC backwards though the keypad.
    2. If step 1 does not work, refer to this thread http://www.cnczone.com/forums/okuma/...ange-hang.html to manually advance ATC sequence through the Parameters Mode.
    3. If step 2 does not work and the tool arm is not moving, do the following to reset the tool arm position:
    1. Press PARAMETER to get into parameter mode
    2. Press ITEM UP or DOWN until NC OPTIONAL PARAMETER BIT
    3. Cursor to NUMBER 16, BIT 7
    4. Change this bit from 0 to 1 (this opens up more parameter pages)
    5. Press ITEM UP or DOWN until MC USER PARAMETER WORD
    6. PAGE UP or DOWN and cursor to #40
    7. Change #40 from 0 to 72 (this activates the Pulse Handle to jog the Tool Arm Axis)
    8. Turn the handwheel slowly until the Tool Arm rotates through its cycle and goes into the dead spot where the standby position is. Carefully try and locate the arm in the center of this dead spot. Jog the wheel until you see motion, take note of how many revolutions of the wheel it takes in the opposite direction until you see motion again, and then attempt to set the arm in the middle of those two rotations (approximately ¾ of a rotation from the start).
    9. Change #40 from 72 to 51, this will retract the drive motor pin. (to ensure arm is in correct location)
    10. If pin does not retract, go back to step (7) and attempt to recenter the arm again.
    11. Change #40 from 51 to 72 again, this will lock the tool arm in its zeroed position.
    12. ITEM UP or DOWN to MACHINE AXIS DATA
    13. Cursor to TS AXIS, ZERO OFFSET
    14. Press CALC and enter in 0
    15. Press WRITE, then EXTEND, then BACKUP
    16. ITEM UP or DOWN back to MC USER PARAMETER WORD and change #40 to 51. This will put the pin in to lock the Magazine Axis which we will then zero the offset for.
    17. ITEM UP or DOWN back to MACHINE AXIS DATA.
    18. Cursor to MA AXIS, ZERO OFFSET
    19. Press CALC and enter in the active tool pot number (this zero’s the axis for this specific tool pot number)
    i. Make sure the Active tool pot number matches the SPCY POT number in the ATC page.
    20. Press WRITE, then EXTEND, then BACKUP
    21. ITEM UP or DOWN back to MC USER PARAMETER WORD and change #40 to 0
    22. Power the Machine OFF and ON.
    23. Manually complete the tool change WITHOUT any tools.
    24. Then 1 CYCLE START TOOL CHANGE to confirm working.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking good.
    The PDF I sent you is very old and long winded.
    I usually follow the procedure you have laid out up until number 8, then do it a bit differently.
    The steps that follow allow you to re-set the "home" positions of both the tool change arm and the tool magazine.
    Unless you have had a catastrophic crash or the arm has been moved, the home positions should not really need adjusted.
    Once you have the arm back to the dead spot, check the TS position on the Machine Axis Data page.
    If it is 0 or very close to it, simply reset MC user parameter 40 from 72 to 1, select manual mode, hold the interlock button the press "return cycle start".
    Hopefully the sequence will now to back to 1 on the ATC page, check active and next tool numbers, try an empty tool change and away you go.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew_smith View Post
    Looking good.
    The PDF I sent you is very old and long winded.
    I usually follow the procedure you have laid out up until number 8, then do it a bit differently.
    The steps that follow allow you to re-set the "home" positions of both the tool change arm and the tool magazine.
    Unless you have had a catastrophic crash or the arm has been moved, the home positions should not really need adjusted.
    Once you have the arm back to the dead spot, check the TS position on the Machine Axis Data page.
    If it is 0 or very close to it, simply reset MC user parameter 40 from 72 to 1, select manual mode, hold the interlock button the press "return cycle start".
    Hopefully the sequence will now to back to 1 on the ATC page, check active and next tool numbers, try an empty tool change and away you go.

ps://www.cnczone.com/forums/okuma/327454-cnc.html
    I tried to follow procedure from this link but when I in NC OPTIONAL PARAMETER BIT change No16 bit 7 from 0 to 1 it doesnot open MC USER PARAMETER WORD, there is no that screen, maybe because my machine has OSP U10M?
    So I cannot activate pulse handle to jog the Tool Arm Axis.
    Did anyone had Arm stuck on OSP U10M?
    Did anyone knows how to use this procedure on my machine MX45VA with OSP U10M?

Quote Originally Posted by SasaMilojkovic View Post
    I tried to follow procedure from this link but when I in NC OPTIONAL PARAMETER BIT change No16 bit 7 from 0 to 1 it doesnot open MC USER PARAMETER WORD, there is no that screen, maybe because my machine has OSP U10M?
    I solved my problem.
    Here are the procedure if anyone would need in the future.
    In PARAMETER
    fond MACHINE PARAMETER and SET 1(active)
    then find MC USER PARAMETER
    No7 ATC/TOOL EXCHANGE
    3. INTERLOCK RELEASE BUTTON and SET 1(active)

Quote Originally Posted by SasaMilojkovic View Post
    I solved my problem.
    Here are the procedure if anyone would need in the future.
    In PARAMETER
    find MACHINE PARAMETER and SET 1(active)
    then find MC USER PARAMETER
    No7 ATC/TOOL EXCHANGE
    3. INTERLOCK RELEASE BUTTON and SET 1(active)
    Go to MANUAL MOD and press at the same time INTERLOCK RELEASE and 1 STEP ADVANCE
    and like that I moved Tool Arm and finish tool EXCHANGE cycle.

Machine is OKUMA MX45VA and OSP U10M

Hello good afternoon, I have done this procedure but I have not been successful since the Z axis is below the tool change and I cannot raise the axis. I found in the position of the TS it was moved and I put it to zero but I still cannot move the axes and the following alarm appears
    1280 Alarma A Axis change control inusual 100

Hello good afternoon, I have done this procedure but I have not been successful since the Z axis is below the tool change and I cannot raise the axis. I found in the position of the TS it was moved and I put it to zero but I still cannot move the axes and the following alarm appears
    1280 Alarma A Axis change control inusual 100
    I hope and someone can help me with this