584,837 active members*
4,873 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

M155- Super X3 Motor Problem.

Hi,

My Super X3 has been running fine untill today.. The motor and control system are factory original with no modifications.. I have only got as far as automating the XYZ axis.

When i started the machine today, everything was runnign fine. and i was just 'free-air' testing a program to make sure it was ok. ( the tool was not cutting anything but it was spinning at 2000rpm ). After a few minutes of running the motor just stopped.

I pushed stop, and restarted it, and it restarted but runs very roughly, up to about 500rpm and then just stops again.. This is repeatable. I've disconnected the belt from it, so its not connected to anything and the shaft itself spins ok, you can feel the indents as you rotate it, it doe'snt feel like bearings. With no belt attached it still runs rough and stops.

The motor is a W92-1000A.

I'm not really sure what to look at next..

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Can i check the motor to see if its ok, or if its the control board?

If it is the motor or controller board, it might be a good time to consider upgrading the spindle and controller anyway.

Re: M155- Super X3 Motor Problem.

Heres a video showing what happens.

https://youtu.be/BTFnB-XksdA

Pulled the motor apart, and replaced the bearings.. Niether the front or back bearings seemd particulary bad.. It improved teh way it ran but still only gets up to about 1200rpm before it stops.

The hall effect sesnors are working as expected and turn on off as you spin the motor over by hand.

Seems that there is somethign mechanicallyh wrong with the motor.

When your motor stops can you turn it by hand or can you restart it again?
    I really think you should check the I/C pins for corrosion ( inspect with an eye loope) as the last thing my mill did before it was fixed was it would run then stop.
    Your drive signals could be flaky causing the roughness before it eventually stops. If it was the bearings it should not stop unless there is a catastrophic bearing failure.
    That my 2 cents worth - Cheers Martin
    By the way what is the S/N of your SX3 mines 80765

Scoped the hall effect sensors and they are all workign just fine.. IN fact looked at all the outputs and its all working well.

Have now diagnosed the fault.. One of the windings in the motor is damaged.. and partially shorted out. Not repariable as the entire thing is encased in epoxy. The control board is behavingt correctly and shuttding down becuase its detecting an over-current situtatoon..

Additionally the motor was getting unusally hot... ( which is a good sign somethign is wrong ).

Hopefully I can get a replacement motor early next week once CNY is over.

Problem was a shorted winding in the motor. Confirmed this with an LC meter.. Its nice that the controller has some currnet limiting and does shut down.

Have now sourced a new motor.. I'm goign to get a 6000rpm one which will suit me much better.

Can the spindle bearings sustain the new motor`s speed of 6000rpm?

Good question.. The spindle speed will be close on 4000rpm after the drop down through the pulleys.. That is well within their operating range. If they do die ( which they will eventually ) its not the end of the world to replace them.

Update! I've actually got a Motor that will run up to 9000rpm, unforutantly it was'nt quite a direct fit. The shaft is a wee bit bigger.. But this will give me a spindle speed of just on 6000rpm.. It's ging to be awesome

Quote Originally Posted by mrpackethead View Post
    Update! I've actually got a Motor that will run up to 9000rpm, unforutantly it was'nt quite a direct fit. The shaft is a wee bit bigger.. But this will give me a spindle speed of just on 6000rpm.. It's ging to be awesome
    Care to share your supplier? Sorry for the necro.