585,880 active members*
7,904 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > How to select proper circuit protection for motor/motor driver power supply??

How to select proper circuit protection for motor/motor driver power supply??

I've been lurking and doing some searches, but have not found an easy way to figure out how to select the right fuse or breaker for the motor driver portion of my controller. Do you have a link to a web page or easy way to figure it out?

Here is a block diagram of "my" controller.. Using 12, 16 and 18AWG wiring.

PS = Antek PS-8N48
    Driver = KL-8070D
    Motors = CNCRP Nema34 960 oz-in

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attach...d=347756&stc=1
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fuse_zpsamhzldmd.png  

Re: How to select proper circuit protection for motor/motor driver power supply??

That power supply is 800W so 800/120=6.6 amps. Now double that number to handle the inrush current and momentary overloads, so ~13 amps. The nearest common value for a breaker is 15 amp, so that's what you want, that also happens to be a safe breaker for #12 wire.. Again a D curve breaker is appropriate for this application.

Re: How to select proper circuit protection for motor/motor driver power supply??

Thank you, sir!!

Another thought, I am using 6 amp slow blow fuses between the power supply and each of my NEMA34 stepper drives on my router. On another installation I used 10 amp, B curve breakers between the power supply and drives.

Thanks. I was thinking of this also. I have several DIN mount fuse blocks and was planning to fuse the input leg on the drivers. Might be overkill since the drivers have over-current and over-voltage protection, but .25¢ is better than $100.00