584,837 active members*
5,493 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Coolant drainage 1100

Reading of problems of the flat bed of the tormach stand, and poor coolant drainage, I am considering putting spacers under the left side of the machine, then lowering the left side of the stand to bring the machine back to level.

Should I use tapered spacers under the machine to avoid tweaking the casting, or can I get away with a couple washers?

The recommended slope for sewage plumbing is 1/8 to 1/4" slope per 12 run. Since floating away sewage is not my goal, a bit more slope may be better, My thought is giving it 1/2" for the 18inch span of the machine base.

Any recommendations as to amount of slope?

Thanks.

Re: Coolant drainage 1100

I don't know that I would do that per se...
    if it ever got to the point of actually bothering me, what I might do would be clean out the base really good, maybe rough up the paint (or what is left of it), then tilt mill, and then pour in some resin/epoxy/something... let it dry while still tilted, and then put mill back down level.
    ie build in a slope....

not sure that would really be better, but it would make me feel better...
    and you could do all 4 sides that way aiming the flow towards the exit...
    NOTE:As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeWhatLost View Post
    I don't know that I would do that per se...
    if it ever got to the point of actually bothering me, what I might do would be clean out the base really good, maybe rough up the paint (or what is left of it), then tilt mill, and then pour in some resin/epoxy/something... let it dry while still tilted, and then put mill back down level.
    ie build in a slope....

not sure that would really be better, but it would make me feel better...
    and you could do all 4 sides that way aiming the flow towards the exit...
    That's almost exactly what Greg Jackson suggested quite a few years ago,

Is my thought of tipping the mill on the stand, then sloping the stand to level the machine prone to make the machine walk under vibration?

Making angled spacers for between the machine and stand would not be too hard with the application of some trig, and tipping the vise.

Lifting the machine off the stand is not impossible, but would be a major event with my ceiling height, and the corner of the garage the machine occupies.

Make some streamliners for the basin...helps a ton.

WW
    Manufacturing & Development
    ThermaeCooling.com

Ok. I'll say it. Forget about it and build something. It's not hat much coolant and it hurts nothing. There was a post years ago about the epoxy trick, I don't think it worked out as good as was anticipated. I wouldn't tip the machine base, an option would be change to the Fogbuster, no pooling to deal with.
    RAD. Yes those are my initials. Idea, design, build, use. It never ends.
    PCNC1100 Series II, w/S3 upgrade, PDB, ATC & 4th's, PCNC1100 Series II, 4th

About a year ago I came up with a stupid simple coolant system mod (stupid because I didn't think of it years ago) that solves the capacity issue of the Tormach. The mod is to add an overflow tank. I used a 3 gallon bucket, a 1/2"barb to 1/2"NPT fitting and some 1/2" tubing. Drill and tap the side of the coolant tank for 1/2 NPT as close to the top edge as possible, thread the fitting in (it doesn't have to be very tight and the 1 thread is enough to hold it in place), connect the tubing and route it into the bucket. Then you can add enough coolant so the level in the main tank doesn't drop below the pump inlet and not worry about adding too much and having the tank overflow and coolant all over the floor when you stop the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by oneineight View Post
    Is my thought of tipping the mill on the stand, then sloping the stand to level the machine prone to make the machine walk under vibration?
    I don't know that it will walk as such, bur cast iron is king of "springy" (not really the word I am looking for, but I can't think this early in the morning, and springy is close enough? I guess) seems like upsetting the balance may be a bad thing...
    also when the table swings out over the low side, that will put a lot of shearing force on those angled spacers?
    I dunno, just does not seem worth the potential problems?

Making angled spacers for between the machine and stand would not be too hard with the application of some trig, and tipping the vise.
    true, but ([making spacers] + [potential issues]) - [scope of problem trying to solve] just does not seem to add up?
    also, since the coolant exit is not at the far end of the base, you will now either need to move the exit all the way to the edge, otherwise you will have a much larger pool of coolant on the low side...
    that makes the "worth it" equation even worse...

Lifting the machine off the stand is not impossible, but would be a major event with my ceiling height, and the corner of the garage the machine occupies.
    all the more reason not to go down that path for a mostly non-issue

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    That's almost exactly what Greg Jackson suggested quite a few years ago,
    that could be where I saw it? pretty sure I didn't think of it on my own...
    NOTE:As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists.

just as a FWIW, I am not at all claiming the coolant setup on the Tormach is perfect... lots of areas can use improvement...
    I am just not convinced this is one of them

Quote Originally Posted by SomeWhatLost View Post
    that could be where I saw it? pretty sure I didn't think of it on my own...
    Just to be clear that wasn't intended as an accusation of plagiary, only as a possible support of your thought.