584,802 active members*
4,994 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > VFD interface to other equipment.
Page 2 of 7 1234

Re: VFD interface to other equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by racetech View Post
    Ok here’s what I got as far as hooked up from geko to vfd . They way it is I got motor to power up changed setting in vfd for it to happen pd001 set to 1 and pd002 set to 0 and motor came on threw Mach 3 but at only one speed nothing would change . It would toggle on and off no problems. But when I shut off the geko the motor came back on . If I changed settings on vfd on the pd001 and pd002 it will not turn on in Mach3 . Getting closer just not good with this wiring. See attached pic of how I have it wired .
    Ok something to try, put a jumper on the VFD FWD and DCM Disconnect the Pin 12 from the G540
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Ok something to try, put a jumper on the VFD FWD and DCM Disconnect the Pin 12 from the G540
    I got nothing now . Maybe I should get a different vfd ?

Does the VFD still turn on, I have never seen Pin 12 connected like that before with these VFD Drives

These are the only connections needed, the FWD and DCM normally has a Relay to switch it, but for trying it you can jumper it like this
    Mactec54

MAC,

I have everything working in good fashion except spindle control through Mach3..

I have tested VFD with Spindle separately with manual control, works great.
    I have tested communications between mach3, ESS and gecko by successfully setting up the Axis motor outputs.

If there was something wrong with Gecko it would throw a "fault" indicator.

The issue is narrowed to Mach3/ESS

Im not sure how to operate G540 without my BOB as I do not have the ability to use printer port on my Win7 64bit (which is why I got the ESS). Im stuck with the Ethernet connection to Mach3...

I need to somehow check for signal at pin 14 at the DB25 connector BETWEEN the ESS and G54..... I believe the ESS gets a PWM signal from Mach3/PC. If I have signal there then I will know then that there is an issue with G540, either with settings in mach3 or with the unit itself.

If there is NO SIGNAL at this point then I'll know there is an issue on the other side of G540 with the ESS/Mach3 relationship or a critical issue with ESS itself....

one problem with my plan..... I dont have a scope here at the house (Scratching head)........

Maybe:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...2DJPCF04&psc=1

with a scope I would get some flywire in there to pin 14 and another on a GND pin in the DB25 (While the mating connector is plugged in, in order to capture "real time" data...... catch her in the act!! lol..

I dunno man, running outta ideas honestly....... I may need to tuck my pride between my legs on this one and just rig up the POT for speed control, im not cool enough yet to use any M3SXX commands apparently.. lol

P.S.
    - What is the 540BVFD.XML i see talked about......... is this possibly something im missing in my mach setup?

DIY

Does the VFD still turn on, I have never seen Pin 12 connected like that before with these VFD Drives

These are the only connections needed, the FWD and DCM normally has a Relay to switch it, but for trying it you can jumper it like this
    Yes vfd turns on manually the breaker in my service panel

I will try that wiring when I get off work today . Thanks for the effort and help

Well if it does not work with pin 12 and FOR jumpered, then it won't work with the G540 pin 5 to FOR. either!!
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

If I jump it the motor comes on stays on no matter what I do in Mach 3 if I wire it like I had it in my drawing it works in Mack 3 on off only no spindle control speed . I guess I don’t really care on controlling speed as I have a gear box and after trying different speeds I’m fine with the on and off in Mach3 . So is there a way to not have so many wires from geko to vfd to turn motor on or off ?

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Well if it does not work with pin 12 and FOR jumpered, then it won't work with the G540 pin 5 to FOR. either!!
    Al.
    Pin 12 on geko to DCM on vfd
    Pin 5 on geko to FOR on vfd
    Pin 7 on geko to ACM on vfd
    Pin 8 on geko to VI on vfd
    Pin 9 on geko to 10v on vfd

This works in Mach to turn on and off the motor with Pd001 -1 and Pd002-0 if I change those numbers in the vfd settings the Mach will not turn on motor . Now with the above settings it turns on and off no motor speed control. The problem is if I power off the geko after I stop the motor in Mach the motor powers back on if I take the dcm off pin 12 on geko the motor stops and it will not power on that way unless I hook dcm back to pin 12 on geko.. I want to thank all that is chimming in as this is all new to me I’m a great hands on fabricator and got this mill to make things nicer and get my son involved on the cnc also .. thanks again .

Ok,
    Borrowed the scope from work....

I see PWM on P14 of the DB25 of the ESS...... Starts when I do M3 and stops when I M1

I DO NOT have PWM on G540 P9, P8

Sooo.... I can corner this thing to Mach3 settings (Must be "outputs to GECKO" because I get communication with "M" commands)

-OR-

My G540 is a silent DUD..... failing to put out PWM signal from ESS but yet still not give a red LED "FAULT".

DIY

Pin 12 on geko to DCM on vfd
    Pin 5 on geko to FOR on vfd
    Pin 7 on geko to ACM on vfd
    Pin 8 on geko to VI on vfd
    Pin 9 on geko to 10v on vfd

This works in Mach to turn on and off the motor with Pd001 -1 and Pd002-0 if I change those numbers in the vfd settings the Mach will not turn on motor . Now with the above settings it turns on and off no motor speed control. The problem is if I power off the geko after I stop the motor in Mach the motor powers back on if I take the dcm off pin 12 on geko the motor stops and it will not power on that way unless I hook dcm back to pin 12 on geko.. I want to thank all that is chimming in as this is all new to me I’m a great hands on fabricator and got this mill to make things nicer and get my son involved on the cnc also .. thanks again .
    It sounds like you need a relay then, and it won't work how Al suggested

These Parameters have to be set for Mach3 to control the motor, you can only have either key Pad or Remote Mach3

It sounds like you need a Relay between FWD and DCM, this Relay would be controlled by Pin 5 on the G540
    Mactec54

ok what kind and where should i get one im all ears??

Quote Originally Posted by diyhands View Post
    Ok,
    Borrowed the scope from work....

I see PWM on P14 of the DB25 of the ESS...... Starts when I do M3 and stops when I M1

I DO NOT have PWM on G540 P9, P8

Sooo.... I can corner this thing to Mach3 settings (Must be "outputs to GECKO" because I get communication with "M" commands)

-OR-

My G540 is a silent DUD..... failing to put out PWM signal from ESS but yet still not give a red LED "FAULT".

DIY
    You should be able to measure everything out from Mach3 through the ESS get all that working then see what happens when you connect to the G540

I think it is the G540 has a faulty PWM output, you could use the 2 port output of the ESS and add a PWM board with a Relay this then would connect to the VFD Drive

A board like this or a simple Breakout Board with PMW and a Relay would do the job

https://cnc4pc.com/c41-pwm-variable-...rol-board.html
    Mactec54

Mac,
    Alright, Gonna go through the pins tomorrow.

That PWM board........ How do I talk to it? ethernet (RJ 45) from PC like a Port 2? And it has some relays to use? sounds good!

Hmmm..... may think about that.

Im beginning to lean to G540 as you said now...... It's possible that in my wiring fiasco I made volatile connections, burned out a transistor or something..

DIY

I see no reason why the output of the G540 would not work if wired the way I show it, how do you know you have the G540 output turned on?
    Al.

Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by diyhands View Post
    Mac,
    Alright, Gonna go through the pins tomorrow.

That PWM board........ How do I talk to it? ethernet (RJ 45) from PC like a Port 2? And it has some relays to use? sounds good!

Hmmm..... may think about that.

Im beginning to lean to G540 as you said now...... It's possible that in my wiring fiasco I made volatile connections, burned out a transistor or something..

DIY
    From you Smooth Stepper it has more the one output port, that board I showed can be wired with just normal connections, or you could attach a Breakout Board like this that has a Relay and the PWM output

The only problem with using a Breakout Board like this is, you need a 5v and 12v power source

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Axis-CNC-...UAAOSwKtlWqCrJ
    Mactec54

I see no reason why the output of the G540 would not work if wired the way I show it, how do you know you have the G540 output turned on?
    Al.
    Homann Designs use a Rely for the G540, I'm sure if there was a simple why they would be using it EN010 G540 wiring

https://www.homanndesigns.com/index....in_page=page_2
    Mactec54

The Homann sheet just copies what is in the Gecko manual, also a relay power supply (12v , 24v or 48v etc)is required for the Homann method as well as the relay.
    Homann also use a 20amp relay to switch 40ma !!
    The direct connection method could not be simpler!
    Al.

Albert E.

The Homann sheet just copies what is in the Gecko manual, also a relay power supply (12v , 24v or 48v etc)is required for the Homann method as well as the relay.
    Homann also use a 20amp relay to switch 40ma !!
    The direct connection method could not be simpler!
    Al.
    Yes the direct connection is easier and the simplest way to do it, but if it does not work for them, then they are either doing something wrong, or the G540 is faulty and won't connect like this for them, these are not the only two to have these same problems connecting to the G540

May be the only Relays they had, when they first did this, they are a little large, this is from Australia where they don't have great supplies like the USA, so may be that's all they could find to work with the one Power supply
    Mactec54

You should be able to measure everything out from Mach3 through the ESS get all that working then see what happens when you connect to the G540

I think it is the G540 has a faulty PWM output, you could use the 2 port output of the ESS and add a PWM board with a Relay this then would connect to the VFD Drive

A board like this or a simple Breakout Board with PMW and a Relay would do the job

https://cnc4pc.com/c41-pwm-variable-...rol-board.html
    I have a board like that laying around how would I hook it up any ideas ?

Page 2 of 7 1234