584,802 active members*
4,930 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > VFD interface to other equipment.
Page 3 of 7 12345
    Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    From you Smooth Stepper it has more the one output port, that board I showed can be wired with just normal connections, or you could attach a Breakout Board like this that has a Relay and the PWM output

The only problem with using a Breakout Board like this is, you need a 5v and 12v power source

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Axis-CNC-...UAAOSwKtlWqCrJ
    This board

Re: VFD interface to other equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by racetech View Post
    This board
    Yes that will give you a Relay plus the 0-10v PWM
    Mactec54

Yes that will give you a Relay plus the 0-10v PWM
    Any idea how to hook up to what I have ? Well I tried to hook the board up and try just the spindle controller part and the board has a 25db male end my cable is a male on both ends .. scratching my head !

Any idea how to hook up to what I have ? Well I tried to hook the board up and try just the spindle controller part and the board has a 25db male end my cable is a male on both ends .. scratching my head !
    You need these sir...

- - - Updated - - -

You need these sir...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B014X1SZIA/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1518617601&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=Db25+coup ler&dpPl=1&dpID=41F1a-F-vTL&ref=plSrch

I can’t get that link to work . Maybe it’s my phone . I will try it on computer when I get off work .

I can’t get that link to work . Maybe it’s my phone . I will try it on computer when I get off work .
    This may work for you they are called a gender changer you can get them in any combination you need

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw...male+to+female
    Mactec54

This may work for you they are called a gender changer you can get them in any combination you need

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw...male+to+female
    Ordered one and they are in Chicago not far from me hope to get by weekend if I do I will hook it up and see if I got rpm control and let you know how it goes .. thanks again ..

Ordered one and they are in Chicago not far from me hope to get by weekend if I do I will hook it up and see if I got rpm control and let you know how it goes .. thanks again ..
    Hi Mac I hooked up the eBay board like the wire diagram shows on a YouTube video the motor turns on and off in Mach but still no speed control like the geko the only thing that is better when I turn off the board the spindle stays off unlike the geko it starts . I must be missing something in the vfd setting.

Hi Mac I hooked up the eBay board like the wire diagram shows on a YouTube video the motor turns on and off in Mach but still no speed control like the geko the only thing that is better when I turn off the board the spindle stays off unlike the geko it starts . I must be missing something in the vfd setting.
    Pics of wiring

Pics of wiring
    Manual vfd pd001 set to 01
    Pd002 set to 0
    That’s the only setting that will turn spindle on and off on Mach 3 if I change them I only hear the relay click no spindle
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5DA74A38-4699-4FE7-9BF5-6D05901254B6.jpg  

Manual vfd pd001 set to 01
    Pd002 set to 0
    That’s the only setting that will turn spindle on and off on Mach 3 if I change them I only hear the relay click no spindle
    Have you added the 12v power supply, between the relay out and the 0-10 v out, connect this correct as well watch the where you put the +/- connections, if you have you can then check for the 0-10v out from the board once you get that working then you will should have speed control

Also do you have the jumper set for terminal control

PD001=0 (1 For Remote Control)

PD002=0 ( 1 For 0-10v Terminal Control or Remote Trim Pot Control ) ( J1 Also Needs to be set for Terminal Control )
    Mactec54

This thread appears to have strayed off track from its original intention,
    The main idea behind this thread was to demonstrate how easy it is to interface the Digital output of the G540 to any VFD or controller PLC that uses a source input in order to use the G540 sink output for FWD command signal.
    This method is intended to eliminate or exclude the alternative to an intermediate relay.
    Which incidentally the SuperPID Triac Spindle controller manual also shows as the recommended way.
    The device interfacing the G540 to has to be able to either use the typical opto input that has a source voltage or one that can be configured for source or sink, the Huanyang for example has a set (non-configurable) sourced PLC input.
    Any further posts that are not relevant will be given their own thread.
    Al_The_Man
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Pin 12 on geko to DCM on vfd
    Pin 5 on geko to FOR on vfd
    Pin 7 on geko to ACM on vfd
    Pin 8 on geko to VI on vfd
    Pin 9 on geko to 10v on vfd

This works in Mach to turn on and off the motor with Pd001 -1 and Pd002-0 if I change those numbers in the vfd settings the Mach will not turn on motor . Now with the above settings it turns on and off no motor speed control. The problem is if I power off the geko after I stop the motor in Mach the motor powers back on if I take the dcm off pin 12 on geko the motor stops and it will not power on that way unless I hook dcm back to pin 12 on geko.. I want to thank all that is chimming in as this is all new to me I’m a great hands on fabricator and got this mill to make things nicer and get my son involved on the cnc also .. thanks again .
    Hi Racetech,

Did you figure out a solution to this problem?

I'm experiencing the same problem as you are. All of it, including spindle powering back up when the G540 is powered off. With the way that it's wired (as mentioned above) and Pd002 = 1, I can turn on/off the spindle using Mach3 but not adjust the speed.

Any fix to this issue would be much appreciated.

This was a most helpful thread for getting my G540 and LinuxCNC running the Huanyang VFD and Chinese spindle on my small CNC. I started with Al_The_Man's post #1 and quickly got forward working and then quickly added reverse just because why not. I used a combination of the G540 manual and some other forum thread to wire up speed control.

Here's my wiring breakout

G540 Pin => VFD
    5 => FOR (forward)
    6 => REV (reverse)
    7 => ACM (speed control)
    8 => VI (speed control)
    9 => 10V (speed control)
    12 => DCM (forward/reverse)

I changed two VFD settings to reflect computer control: PD001 from 0 to 1, PD002 from 0 to 1.

As I was running through wiring, in three phases (forward, reverse, speed), I ran stepconf (sp?) in LinuxCNC to create a dummy configuration just for testing, then copied the applicable settings from the dummy .hal file to my regular .hal file.

All told, I spent maybe 2 hours in wiring, quadruple checking wiring, checking pinouts between G540 manual and configuration files, research, adjusting configuration files, etc. If I had to do it again today, it would probably take about 15 minutes at a slow pace and carefully validating wiring correctness.

This is going to be so convenient, especially as I want to mount my control box in a location that won't be convenient to get to the VFD frequently; instead, I only have to turn the box on and off via easily accessible buttons on the outside.

Thanks Al_The_Man,

Roy

Quote Originally Posted by diyhands View Post
    Sorry Mac,
    Yea I tried the Pin5 to enable spindle DIR ...... I couldn't get the signal on the pin with Mach3 settings..

DIY
    I wish this was more legible. I can't make out hardly any of it.

Quote Originally Posted by shisa7807 View Post
    Hi Racetech,

Did you figure out a solution to this problem?

I'm experiencing the same problem as you are. All of it, including spindle powering back up when the G540 is powered off. With the way that it's wired (as mentioned above) and Pd002 = 1, I can turn on/off the spindle using Mach3 but not adjust the speed.

Any fix to this issue would be much appreciated.
    i am also having this issue. spindle turns on when i flip the g540 off. in addition my spindle only stays on for a second then turns off when i try to turn it on in mach3

i am not using a relay, just wiring it up using the diagram above

Quote Originally Posted by brianhatley View Post
    i am also having this issue. spindle turns on when i flip the g540 off. in addition my spindle only stays on for a second then turns off when i try to turn it on in mach3

i am not using a relay, just wiring it up using the diagram above
    What VFD Drive do you have not all of the VFD Drives can be wired the same
    Mactec54

What VFD Drive do you have not all of the VFD Drives can be wired the same
    Don’t mind the toggle switch. Just temporary way to keep the thing from being on while my G540 was off.

Hy02d223b

I’ve been reading such different approaches to the same components I have, I can’t get any of them to work. My next thing is to try an order an rs485

Quote Originally Posted by brianhatley View Post
    I’ve been reading such different approaches to the same components I have, I can’t get any of them to work. My next thing is to try an order an rs485
    See http://royaumedeole.fr/informatique/...-huanyang-vfd/
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Page 3 of 7 12345