585,582 active members*
4,790 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > VFD interface to other equipment.
Page 5 of 7 34567

Re: VFD interface to other equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by brianhatley View Post
    Is this the correct relay? Still can’t seem to get it to work
    Do you have a meter that you can check the output from the G540 does the Relay turn on you will hear it click if it is working you need that to be happening before it can turn the VFD Drive On /Off

Can you do some photos of how you have it wired to the G540

Here is how most wire there G540 this has more than most have but you will see how to wire the Relay
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wiring Schematic.jpg  
    Mactec54

I was basing my purchase on this image.
    That looks to be correct the way they have it wired this is basically the same as what I just posted

Have you set the J1 jumper on the VFD Drive for Remote control
    Mactec54

I haven’t this time around I forgot. But that’s only for the speed control correct? Either way my relay isn’t clicking. I do have a meter. So what should I check and for what voltage should I expect to see?

Either you are not getting the control from signal from Mach or the output of the G540 may be shot.
    You should get ~1v or so from 48v GND (common) to the relay pin connected to the G540, and 48v from GND (common) to the other pin, if 48v on both, then the relay is not picked up.
    Do you have a diode to place across the coil?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Either you are not getting the control from signal from Mach or the output of the G540 may be shot.
    You should get ~1v or so from 48v GND (common) to the relay pin connected to the G540, and 48v from GND (common) to the other pin, if 48v on both, then the relay is not picked up.
    Do you have a diode to place across the coil?
    Al.
    I got it to work with the rs485. I downloaded the haunyang vfd plugin from
    Mach 3’s website. Hooked up a couple wires and that was basically it.

That's is the best way with these VFD Drives you have much better control with the speeds control
    Mactec54

I haven’t this time around I forgot. But that’s only for the speed control correct? Either way my relay isn’t clicking. I do have a meter. So what should I check and for what voltage should I expect to see?
    If it was not clicking then you either have something wired incorrect or a configuration problem with your output pins
    Mactec54

Yes it is a very nice way for control and eliminates the necessity to convert the Mach digital signal to analogue.
    Which was the convertor interface you used?
    Did you use the plug-in from Sebastien?
    Al.

Albert E.

I tried that one first. But Mach 3 said that the plugin was defective and to remove it. Upon some short research I found the other plugin from
    The machsupport page

https://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php?topic=14182.0

A big part of me wants to tear it back
    Apart to find out what I was doing wrong. But it’s working great now and I really don’t want to push my luck.

But it’s working great now and I really don’t want to push my luck.
    Which was the RS485 convertor interface you used?
    Al.

Albert E.

Which was the RS485 convertor interface you used?
    Al.
    i used this one. seems to be the most common from what i've researched

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CH340-USB-t...72.m2749.l2649

Good, that is the one I picked on to replace the RS232 version I was using.
    Thanks.
    Al

Albert E.

Thanks.
    Al
    and it stopped working today. any way i can check to make sure the vfd is still good or the rs485 adapter?

Thanks.
    Al

I added this switch panel I made, and I blew out three of the switches before I realized I was wiring them wrong.. I know stupid me. I’m worried I fried something somewhere. But everything seems to work fine. I’m cutting now As we speak. I just can’t get the rs485 to Communicate with the vfd.

I added this switch panel I made, and I blew out three of the switches before I realized I was wiring them wrong.. I know stupid me. I’m worried I fried something somewhere. But everything seems to work fine. I’m cutting now As we speak. I just can’t get the rs485 to Communicate with the vfd.
    Pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails C778213E-F46E-4354-9FAA-B4E17A74C3D8.jpg   8FF43921-1077-4682-93A4-896508110FBF.jpg  

Pics
    I can't see as the photos are not very defined, you may have wired the sub box incorrect as well I don't see a separate Ground Bus as the Neutral has to be on it's own Isolated Bus, for any sub panels

Mounting component's on wood is a bad Idea you need a metal plate, Aluminum or steel unpainted where parts are mounted, this plate becomes the Ground Plane and is Ground bonded to the Main supply Ground
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    I can't see as the photos are not very defined, you may have wired the sub box incorrect as well I don't see a separate Ground Bus as the Neutral has to be on it's own Isolated Bus, for any sub panels

Mounting component's on wood is a bad Idea you need a metal plate, Aluminum or steel unpainted where parts are mounted, this plate becomes the Ground Plane and is Ground bonded to the Main supply Ground

I’m not Much of an electrician, but my neutral is directly connected to the ground bus bar, wouldn’t that make them okay to ground to the panel?

That computer has been there for a long time. It’s just a bunch of scrap from an old drawer I threw together. I plan on making a better one later but this is low on my priority list.

My neutral is connected to the ground bus bar via a screw, I also ground the bus bar to the panel. , then I took a wire and connected my switch panel frame to the ground bus bar on my sub frame.

Ran my hits from the breakers and used the switch panel as the neutral/ground.

You think this wiring could be causing interference with the rs485 adapter or the vfd?

I’m not Much of an electrician, but my neutral is directly connected to the ground bus bar, wouldn’t that make them okay to ground to the panel?

That computer has been there for a long time. It’s just a bunch of scrap from an old drawer I threw together. I plan on making a better one later but this is low on my priority list.

My neutral is connected to the ground bus bar via a screw, I also ground the bus bar to the panel. , then I took a wire and connected my switch panel frame to the ground bus bar on my sub frame.

Ran my hits from the breakers and used the switch panel as the neutral/ground.

You think this wiring could be causing interference with the rs485 adapter or the vfd?
    No when you do a sub panel the Neutral has to be isolated from the Ground and can not be connected in any way or it will be dangerous and a code violation

Like this any other way would not be good
    Mactec54

Oh, I see. That’s an easy fix. My sub panel came with the bus bar attached to the neutral connection, my mistake was assuming it was the same wiring as the main. So I’ll get a few bus bars, and run an isolated neutral, and ground inside both my switch panel and my sub panel.

Could this cause communication issues with the vfd?

Oh, I see. That’s an easy fix. My sub panel came with the bus bar attached to the neutral connection, my mistake was assuming it was the same wiring as the main. So I’ll get a few bus bars, and run an isolated neutral, and ground inside both my switch panel and my sub panel.

Could this cause communication issues with the vfd?
    I put on a different adapter, this one seems significantly more rigid, it works again

Also I got some little bus bar terminal block things. I’ll go ahead and fix that panel wiring too!

Page 5 of 7 34567