585,754 active members*
3,960 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > VFD interface to other equipment.
Page 1 of 5 123

Hybrid View

VFD interface to other equipment.

It was suggested that in a recent post I was talking over the heads of most members and guests here, so I thought I would explain a little deeper.
    One of the things that started me thing on this track is the drawing EN-010 that is circulating for the G540 interface to a VFD, it shows a 20AMP relay to interface to a <10Ma input!
    The accompanying JPG shows how to use a BOB etc that uses open collector bi-polar transistor or open drain Mosfet, as is done in the Gecko G540.
    In place of the relay, it just entails a 2 wire connection.
    Many VFD's have the capability of opting for sink or source inputs, the attached jpg shows a Huanyang which comes only sourced output, which requires a sink device such as the Gecko..

Also like many typical circuits that accompany BOB.s etc, the safety circuits leave alot to be desired, when compared to typical industry custom.
    Very rarely is a typical E-Stop string used where the power is dropped to all motorized devices.
    I am aware that most DIY CNC'ers tend not to worry about safety etc, but in the case of the EN-010 example, there is no means of emergency stopping the VFD whatsoever.
    The G540 makes it difficult to remove power as the unit interfaces directly to the PC, so it is necessary for the whole unit to be powered in order for any external E-Stop to register with Mach, in this case.
    Further to the VFD shown, which appears to be a Huanyang, the user manual that came with the Huanyang I have shows the SPDT option relay as wrong, with the FB common and FC N.O. and FA N.C. whereas it is the opposite in fact on the model I received.
    Al..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BOBtoVFD.jpg  
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Re: VFD interface to other equipment.

Al,
    Isnt the G540 GND Pin7 Isolated from G540 GND Pin 12 ? your Dwg suggests they are COM with the VFD DCM

Here is my setup.... still having trouble getting it to work, what Am I doing wrong?

Thx,
    DIY

Quote Originally Posted by diyhands View Post
    Al,
    Isnt the G540 GND Pin7 Isolated from G540 GND Pin 12 ? your Dwg suggests they are COM with the VFD DCM

Here is my setup.... still having trouble getting it to work, what Am I doing wrong?

Thx,
    DIY
    Did you try it with the Pin 5 of the G540 connected to the FWD VFD terminal, your pin 8 is connected incorrect needs to be VI connection, why did you change it
    Mactec54

Hey Mac,
    Good morning.. sorry I haven't been on in a couple days, things to do....

What I've done:

1. Ran my new IGUS Motion Cable through the flex chain, but have not yet made any terminations as I am still awaiting my connectors. I have disassembled and examined spindle (top part around cooling fan housing/shroud) to locate a good place to attach Earth GND. Found just about only one way to do it.... A bit unconventional but do not see why it shouldn't suffice just fine. When the connectors arrive I am ready to go. BTW..... That IGUS Motion Cable you suggested is SUPER SEXY man.. like it alot!!! Great quality!

2. FINALLY purchased my full license for Version R3.043.062 (suggested by Warp9 "MFG'r of my ESS motion controller") of Mach3...... Did a clean install to get it all back to defaults, then set back up my motor inputs and outputs all without a hitch at all..... learned the Axis auto-CAL. The reason I did the clean install was because I suspected the reason why everytime I loaded a DEMO g-code (i.e. road runner....ect...) it would cut in mm and the DRO's displayed IN was because during initial install and setup I selected mm for "Native UNITS" months ago and have since then decided otherwise and revert without re-installing. So once I did that it all worked fine just like I wanted.

3. Upon clean Install and tuning axis .... I also at that time followed Spindle wiring suggestions you recently made to me on last post. THERE WAS PROGRESS!!!!! THANKS MAC!!! Unfortunately I got no spindle motion.. I did however, see communication between VFD and Mach3 while performing M3 commands in the MDI..... I did not try an M5 yet as now my spindle is slightly apart awaiting my completion of my cable installation work. I would hit M3S24000 and I would see the DRO in Mach3 almost instantaneously jump straight to Max.. This to me was alarming as the Ramp was wayyyyyy to fast... Will look at that one for sure... Also, the display on the VFD would VERY VERY VERY SLOWLY ramp up (the decimal value displayed would ramp up incredibly slowly..... 20.4, 21.2, 22.1, 23, ect.... Took about 3 min. for it to get up to 138.4). Now... nothing is spinning during this observation, but it is a significant bit of progress as now all I need to do is find out why there's talking and no working... must be Mach3 settings, tuning, ect.... as I know the VFD was working perfect during manual operation config. and have not changed from simply switching it from manual to external control Pn-03, Pn-04.

Didn't see the Voltage on G540 Pin5 yet either.. so still doing something wrong there or it just doesn't work like I think about using it to turn on FWD to VFD..... I did however see 1 - 2 Vdc on G540 Pin8 this is also progress thanks to you... just need to figure out now why is so low. I measured 12Vdc between VFD FWD and VFD GND with the MultiMeter.... Forward is pulled high by default on VFD? what is the nominal voltage VFD FWD need to see to go active? I can see now this thing is clearly going to need the relay setup. Just looks like what it's intended for looking at the pin-out DWG provided by the Inverter (VFD). I also picked up some pots just incase. Im thinking either the VFD FWD 12Vdc potential to VFD GND because if there's 12Vdc on it always anyway maybe it needs to see llow condition to go active? Or use the VFD integrated Relay Lk, Lb, Lz to control signal at VFD FWD? I dunno.... will think about this one. But there must be a way to jumper it for now to at least figure out what will need to be done a bit more properly when I get to that point down the road.

How do you control your DIR on your VFD?

4. Beginning Control Box Assy:
    Didn't like the Chinese blue box.... re-doing that mess and rewiring into a nice box with some good cable management and cooling..

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0791KB3TK/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I4SFMASCDVIF0&colid=SJIFJZDO NIJQ&psc=0

5. Shopping for air/mist sys..... have some stuff on Amazon

6. Shopping for good cutters for my ER11 (Will be working with wood, plastics (such as Delrin, Nylon, PVC) and some non-ferrous like 6061, brass, copper)
    - Flat end mills (will likely face and rough with it for now until I outgrow my .8kw and ER11)
    - Ball nose
    - Engraving
    - Chamfer
    Any Good suggestions there? Where do you get your cutters?

Thx,
    -DIY

[COLOR=#000000]

Didn't see the Voltage on G540 Pin5 yet either.. so still doing something wrong there or it just doesn't work like I think about using it to turn on FWD to VFD..... I did however see 1 - 2 Vdc on G540 Pin8 this is also progress thanks to you... just need to figure out now why is so low. I measured 12Vdc between VFD FWD and VFD GND with the MultiMeter.... Forward is pulled high by default on VFD? what is the nominal voltage VFD FWD need to see to go active? I can see now this thing is clearly going to need the relay setup. Just looks like what it's intended for looking at the pin-out DWG provided by the Inverter (VFD). I also picked up some pots just incase. Im thinking either the VFD FWD 12Vdc potential to VFD GND because if there's 12Vdc on it always anyway maybe it needs to see llow condition to go active? Or use the VFD integrated Relay Lk, Lb, Lz to control signal at VFD FWD? I dunno.... will think about this one. But there must be a way to jumper it for now to at least figure out what will need to be done a bit more properly when I get to that point down the road.
    You will not see any voltage on the pin 5 unless connected to a source (VFD IN) It works for me, I do not see any point using an intermediary relay when not needed.!
    Al.

Albert E.

Sorry Mac,
    Yea I tried the Pin5 to enable spindle DIR ...... I couldn't get the signal on the pin with Mach3 settings..

DIY

Sorry Mac,
    Yea I tried the Pin5 to enable spindle DIR ...... I couldn't get the signal on the pin with Mach3 settings..

DIY
    As Al just said there should be no Voltage on Pin 5, Connect Pin 5 to FWD as I said to do before, this should be acting just like an On / Off switch

In motor Tuning Spindle try the sliders both at around half way, save setting try it, and then slide them all the way to the max and save the settings
    Mactec54

Sorry Mac,

DIY
    I wish this was more legible. I can't make out hardly any of it.

I’ve been reading such different approaches to the same components I have, I can’t get any of them to work. My next thing is to try an order an rs485

Quote Originally Posted by brianhatley View Post
    I’ve been reading such different approaches to the same components I have, I can’t get any of them to work. My next thing is to try an order an rs485
    See http://royaumedeole.fr/informatique/...-huanyang-vfd/
    Al.

Albert E.

If you don't have a relay for the On / Off then it is not going to work with this VFD Drive from the G540 output you have to switch a Relay On / Off from the control and the output of the Relay is then connected to the FWD and ACM Terminals there is no voltage involved with this so if you have used any voltage to these connections you may have some damage

Or use the Modbus which can be a challenge also for some to setup
    Mactec54

So the rs485 is my only option then? I’ll have t
    Order one if so. I was hoping to get it to work with what I have now

Sorry for my ignorance, is the modbus the same as the rs485?

Sorry for my ignorance, is the modbus the same as the rs485?
    Yes, RS485 is the serial hardware standard used, Modbus is the data format. But technically Huanyang use a 'Loose' form of Modbus.
    Although I also have used the method I outlined here on VFD's such as yours and ones that have the same input format, which is typical, source type opto inputs. Eliminates the need for a relay.
    See https://www.cnczone.com/forums/spind...equipment.html
    Al.

Albert E.

I read through this, but even after . I still cannot get mine to work properly. If I turn my gecko G540 off my spindle turns on. And stays on. And Mach 3 will only turn the spindle on for a second or two then trips the estop

I read through this, but even after . I still cannot get mine to work properly. If I turn my gecko G540 off my spindle turns on. And stays on. And Mach 3 will only turn the spindle on for a second or two then trips the estop
    It never will work with this VFD Drive you have and the G540 without a Relay
    Mactec54

Sounds like something else going on there that is not that obvious from here.
    Does the VFD run in manual input mode?
    Or in the programmed mode but manually input the start via a P.B. e.g. etc.
    Al.

Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Sounds like something else going on there that is not that obvious from here.
    Does the VFD run in manual input mode?
    Or in the programmed mode but manually input the start via a P.B. e.g. etc.
    Al.
    It works fine on its own.. but if I hook it up to the G540 it does this.
    Pin 5 forward
    Pin 7 acm
    Pin 8 vi
    Pin 9 +10v
    Pin 12 ( tied in with the other grounds) to dcm

Thinking the relay may need to be added?

I’ve got a relay and an rs485 adapter coming. Somehow I’m
    Going to get this to work, I just wish it wasn’t such a pain.

Just as a side note, if I take the dcm from the vfd and touch it to basically any of the terminals on the G540 breakout board ( with the power off ) the spindle will turn on.

It works fine on its own.. but if I hook it up to the G540 it does this.
    Just as a side note, if I take the dcm from the vfd and touch it to basically any of the terminals on the G540 breakout board ( with the power off ) the spindle will turn on.
    That is strange, I looked up the manual for your specific model and the PLC input is no different from any other typical Huanyang that I have hooked up the G540 direct to.
    I presume you are using the G540?
    Al.

Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    That is strange, I looked up the manual for your specific model and the PLC input is no different from any other typical Huanyang that I have hooked up the G540 direct to.
    I presume you are using the G540?
    Al.
    You keep repeating the same thing for a number of years now I have never seen this VFD Drive work with the G540 direct wired without a Relay added, most try but fail, then they add the Relay and it all works

By what the spec's are it should work this is an old problem that keeps on coming up
    Mactec54

Page 1 of 5 123