585,733 active members*
4,786 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > VFD interface to other equipment.
Page 4 of 7 23456

Re: VFD interface to other equipment.

So the rs485 is my only option then? I’ll have t
    Order one if so. I was hoping to get it to work with what I have now

Quote Originally Posted by brianhatley View Post
    I’ve been reading such different approaches to the same components I have, I can’t get any of them to work. My next thing is to try an order an rs485
    If you don't have a relay for the On / Off then it is not going to work with this VFD Drive from the G540 output you have to switch a Relay On / Off from the control and the output of the Relay is then connected to the FWD and ACM Terminals there is no voltage involved with this so if you have used any voltage to these connections you may have some damage

Or use the Modbus which can be a challenge also for some to setup
    Mactec54

Sorry for my ignorance, is the modbus the same as the rs485?

Sorry for my ignorance, is the modbus the same as the rs485?
    Yes, RS485 is the serial hardware standard used, Modbus is the data format. But technically Huanyang use a 'Loose' form of Modbus.
    Although I also have used the method I outlined here on VFD's such as yours and ones that have the same input format, which is typical, source type opto inputs. Eliminates the need for a relay.
    See https://www.cnczone.com/forums/spind...equipment.html
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I read through this, but even after . I still cannot get mine to work properly. If I turn my gecko G540 off my spindle turns on. And stays on. And Mach 3 will only turn the spindle on for a second or two then trips the estop

Sounds like something else going on there that is not that obvious from here.
    Does the VFD run in manual input mode?
    Or in the programmed mode but manually input the start via a P.B. e.g. etc.
    Al.

Albert E.

I read through this, but even after . I still cannot get mine to work properly. If I turn my gecko G540 off my spindle turns on. And stays on. And Mach 3 will only turn the spindle on for a second or two then trips the estop
    It never will work with this VFD Drive you have and the G540 without a Relay
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Sounds like something else going on there that is not that obvious from here.
    Does the VFD run in manual input mode?
    Or in the programmed mode but manually input the start via a P.B. e.g. etc.
    Al.
    It works fine on its own.. but if I hook it up to the G540 it does this.
    Pin 5 forward
    Pin 7 acm
    Pin 8 vi
    Pin 9 +10v
    Pin 12 ( tied in with the other grounds) to dcm

Thinking the relay may need to be added?

I’ve got a relay and an rs485 adapter coming. Somehow I’m
    Going to get this to work, I just wish it wasn’t such a pain.

Just as a side note, if I take the dcm from the vfd and touch it to basically any of the terminals on the G540 breakout board ( with the power off ) the spindle will turn on.

It works fine on its own.. but if I hook it up to the G540 it does this.
    Just as a side note, if I take the dcm from the vfd and touch it to basically any of the terminals on the G540 breakout board ( with the power off ) the spindle will turn on.
    That is strange, I looked up the manual for your specific model and the PLC input is no different from any other typical Huanyang that I have hooked up the G540 direct to.
    I presume you are using the G540?
    Al.

Albert E.

That is strange, I looked up the manual for your specific model and the PLC input is no different from any other typical Huanyang that I have hooked up the G540 direct to.
    I presume you are using the G540?
    Al.
    You keep repeating the same thing for a number of years now I have never seen this VFD Drive work with the G540 direct wired without a Relay added, most try but fail, then they add the Relay and it all works

By what the spec's are it should work this is an old problem that keeps on coming up
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    You keep repeating the same thing for a number of years now I have never seen this VFD Drive work with the G540 direct wired without a Relay added, most try but fail, then they add the Relay and it all works

By what the spec's are it should work this is an old problem that keeps on coming up
    Odd that you are the only one that I here it does not work from, if you know ANY basic electronic theory you may understand it.
    I would be interested in knowing what exactly is the difference in this particular model, So far the manual shows the same as the rest!
    Please explain why?

Albert E.

yes, a gecko g540. it was part of a kit i bought with the ZenBot 4896. i received both - my relay and my rs485 adapter today. i will tinker with them and report back.

A while ago I communicated with Sebastien of royaumedeole.fr, the one that wrote the Mach plug-in for the Huanyang, I ended up using it in some DC drives I built using the same plug in!
    Al.

Albert E.

Odd that you are the only one that I here it does not work from, if you know ANY basic electronic theory you may understand it.
    I would be interested in knowing what exactly is the difference in this particular model, So far the manual shows the same as the rest!
    Please explain why?
    I don't use a G540 and are never likely too draw up a wiring diagram of how they should be connecting it, there have been many on here that could not get it to work through direct wiring, the VFD Drive only needs a switch with no voltage output ( dry contact ) to turn the VFD Drive On / Off if you can make the output of the G540 to suit the VFD Drive then it will work

OUTPUTS: The G540 has two general purpose outputs called OUTPUT 1 and OUTPUT 2 on the MAIN TERMINAL BLOCK. They are at POSITION 5 and POSITION 6 respectively on the terminal block. These outputs may be used to drive relay coils or for any other purpose. The outputs are rated at 1A and 50VDC maximum. Connect one end of the load to the output and connect the other end of the load to a positive DC voltage. This voltage may be the G540 power supply or it may be a separate power supply having a different voltage.

ANALOG OUTPUT: This is a 0V to +10V opto-isolated analog output intended for use with VFD drives. VFD OUT goes to 0VDC while the G540 is disabled. Connect VFD GND, VFD OUT and VFD +10V to the VFD drive inputs. Make sure the VFD drive positive voltage does not exceed +12VDC. Do not short VFD OUT to any other terminal. Do not reverse polarity to VFD GND and VFD +10V or the G540 may be damaged.
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    I don't use a G540 and are never likely too draw up a wiring diagram of how they should be connecting it, there have been many on here that could not get it to work through direct wiring, the VFD Drive only needs a switch with no voltage output ( dry contact ) to turn the VFD Drive On / Off if you can make the output of the G540 to suit the VFD Drive then it will work

OUTPUTS: The G540 has two general purpose outputs called OUTPUT 1 and OUTPUT 2 on the MAIN TERMINAL BLOCK. They are at POSITION 5 and POSITION 6 respectively on the terminal block. These outputs may be used to drive relay coils or for any other purpose. The outputs are rated at 1A and 50VDC maximum. Connect one end of the load to the output and connect the other end of the load to a positive DC voltage. This voltage may be the G540 power supply or it may be a separate power supply having a different voltage.

ANALOG OUTPUT: This is a 0V to +10V opto-isolated analog output intended for use with VFD drives. VFD OUT goes to 0VDC while the G540 is disabled. Connect VFD GND, VFD OUT and VFD +10V to the VFD drive inputs. Make sure the VFD drive positive voltage does not exceed +12VDC. Do not short VFD OUT to any other terminal. Do not reverse polarity to VFD GND and VFD +10V or the G540 may be damaged.

Is this the correct relay? Still can’t seem to get it to work

i tried that rs485 plug in, it says its defective.

I assume you are setting the VFD to RS485?
    BTW that relay appears to be a 48v coil do you have this voltage available?
    Also you don't need anywhere near 30a contacts, a 1amp would be more than ample.
    Al.

Albert E.

Also you don't need anywhere near 30a contacts, a 1amp would be more than ample.
    Al.
    This voltage would have to come from the power supply correct? I’m
    Only getting like 41-42 volts from pin 11 to 12. I had the vfd set to 1 on pd1 and 2 during testing the relay. And On 2 testing the rs485

Al.
    I was basing my purchase on this image.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 882B43EE-1B83-409D-A850-D140EBA5C683.jpg  

One very important thing that is omitted from the DWG is the BEMF diode across the coil of the relay, the BEMF from the coil when it turns off will exceed the 60v rating of the Fet in the G540, which is 60v, if it is not fitted.
    A 1n7005/6/7 will work and connected across the coil right at the relay with the diode stripe at the +V end.
    The relay will work, just a little over kill.
    Al.

Albert E.

Page 4 of 7 23456