585,670 active members*
4,529 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > Tape reader paramaters... Was: Can't read from tape reader (11T)

Tape reader paramaters... Was: Can't read from tape reader (11T)

After spending all last week trying to successfully input and output from a PC, the operator needs to load a program from tape.

I wrote down all the paramters that I changed (or I thought I did) last week before changing them, but now, when I put the parameters back as I thought they should be, the tape reader doesn't work and the operator said it did work just a few weeks ago.

This is a 11T controller. Can somebody please tell me what parameters to check for proper tape reader operation? Maybe I can be enlightened to which one I'm overlooking.

Any assistance would greatly be appreciated.

Press the SETTING button under the CRT, then look for a bit marked "Input Device FG (foreground). Set it to zero (0). A setting of "1", "2", or "3" is for the serial port. A setting of "0" is for the paper tape reader. You can enter this setting in MDI mode with the memory protect key switch off.

A very few Fanucs (mostly 10 controls) never had the parallel tape reader. They used serial tape readers instead. The Fanuc 11 should have a parallel tape reader. You can confirm this by tracing the cable from the back of the tape reader to the CNC. A parallel tape reader has a grey 50-pin ribbon cable from the tape reader board to the CNC's main board. That's the type of tape reader that most 11s have, and it works with the Input Device set to "0". If you don't see that grey ribbon cable, then all bets are off, and you may have to set up the serial tape reader baudrates, etc.

Thanks Dan for the reply. The device selection is set at "0" (PTR) and it still does not work. I'm pretty sure all the 5000 series parameters are set correctly as well. I was sort of hoping that somebody could post those parameters and tell me exactly what was what.

Thanks again for your helpful advice!

Question

Bumping this thread to the top. What I'm really looking for is a list of the parameters related to the tape reader operation. If somebody could provide a list, I'd sure appreciate it!

Like Dan said, you have to find out if it is a serial reader, if so it should go into one of the serial ports, there is one on the main board and one in the console, usually.
    This is then set using the standard RS232 setting, but it is necessary to know what port?

Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I've looked for option parameters, and there are none for the standard tape reader. The parallel tape reader port is a standard feature on the 11T, and there are no parameters that affect it.

Like Al_The_Man says, if you have a serial tape reader, that would change everything because you'll then have to set up the correct serial port as the "Input device" and set the correct baudrate & stop bits. We really need to know if you have a serial tape reader or a parallel one. Please look for a cable from the back of your tape reader to the CNC and let us know what kind of cable it is (ribbon or round cable) and where it plugs into the CNC control.

Thanks Al for the reply...

I'm assuming that it is a serial device, since it worked before I started messing with parameters to get serial transfer from the PC working. I guess that if the Parallel Tape Reader (PTR?) doesn't have any settings and setting the bit to PTR doesn't make it work, then it is a serial device. I thought that the "P" in PTR stood for Paper, not Parallel.

The tape reader on the machine (a Monarch M200 lathe) is built-in to a separate cabinet on the controller. I will see if it's possible to check out the cable, but my experience shows that you really can't tell a parallel from a serial cable of that era. The parallel CAN be round...not a ribbon. The parallel and serial ports from that time period were BOTH DB25 connections as I'm sure you know. I'll see if I can get into the cabinet without major problems.

I don't believe I ever did try serial device #2. I was under the impression that changing that bit only chose the communication parameters set by parameters 5010, 5011, and 5012 (for device one) 5120, 5121, and 5122 (for device 2 and so on) for use with the serial on the console. Is my perception incorrect?

Well, I opened up the cabinet (it was easier that I thought) and the cable that connects to one of the circuit boards on the reader (Fanuc) is a centronics connector. I guess this indicates that it is a parallel tape reader. Al, are you sure there are no other parameters that need to be set in order for this reader to work?

Most of the Configuration I have for the 10,11,12 predominatly show a Serial PTR, with is entering CD1 on the main board, it may never have transitioned through a 25pin D and entered the Honda conn. direct.
    I tried attaching the Fanuc RS232 serial manual for these machines you might find a help, but it was too large for an upload, I can send you a copy if you want.
    Al.

Albert E.

Honda connector? I don't know what that is.....

I sent you a PM...

Quote Originally Posted by grweldon View Post
    Honda connector? I don't know what that is.....

I sent you a PM...
    Manual sent, Honda connectors are the ones used on this vintage Fanuc, Blue plug/socket slant pins and grey back shell.
    The parallel PTR had a 50 pin ribbon cable from the board.
    Al.

Albert E.

I have one set FANUC "portable type reader" with following specifications:
    type :
    A13B-0074-B001
    No.: 04499
    date: 1987-07

Because this TYPE READER equipped with " port RS232 " , I intend to transfer program to GE-1050 HL CNC controller.
    I don’t have any document about this TYPE READER , and this type reader has different port for DATA cable.
    would you, please send me document ,which I could connect TYPE READER to GE-1050 HL CNC controller.

farzad taheri
    [email protected]