585,690 active members*
4,903 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Metric mm or Imperial inches? Please help.

Metric mm or Imperial inches? Please help.

Hi All,

Looking at buying an X2 mill from www.axminster.co.uk. The reason is that they sell their equipment in metric. I would prefer to get from the states as the same equipment is cheaper. However, can someone tell me if there is really any other difference other than the measurements? I normally works with metric but I wouldn't mind working in inches except its abit confusing for me having to think in inches. And all my cam drawings are all in mm. So a pain in the a@# to change them to inches. Please help.

Alex

I believe that, with the exception of the version sold by Micro-Mark, all of the X2's sold in the are actually metric machines (i.e. the X and Y screws are metric) roughly converted to inches with oldball indicating collars)

Quote Originally Posted by Pretorien View Post
    I believe that, with the exception of the version sold by Micro-Mark, all of the X2's sold in the are actually metric machines (i.e. the X and Y screws are metric) roughly converted to inches with oldball indicating collars)
    Thanks, so you are saying that the mill from Harbor Freight is actually in metric? Thats good news. I can buy from them then. What's with the spec in inches? I am just confused.

Inch/mm whats the difference? Put a DRO on the machine and forget the dials. A complete 3-axis drop-in DRO kit is available on eBay for $350. Cures the measurement, backlash and accuracy frustrations with a mini-mill.

I'll admit I make and sell the Kit!

Ken
    Ken
    Kenneth A. Emmert
    SMW Precision LLC
    Spokane, WA
    866-533-9016 Toll Free

Forget the CAM drawings. A CNC mill can work equally well in either system regardless whether the leadscrews are metric or imperial. It could be bananas per inch, a slong as you know the convertion factor eveything is fine.

For manual use you need either metric screws with metric dials or inch screws with inch dials. A Metric screw with inch dial used to machine metric dimensions would be a nightmare.

I doubt you will save much importing from the States once you consider import duty/VAT, shipping and paperwork. Also how would you return a faulty machine.

Regards
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by alexccmeister View Post
    Hi All,

Looking at buying an X2 mill from www.axminster.co.uk. The reason is that they sell their equipment in metric. I would prefer to get from the states as the same equipment is cheaper. However, can someone tell me if there is really any other difference other than the measurements? I normally works with metric but I wouldn't mind working in inches except its abit confusing for me having to think in inches. And all my cam drawings are all in mm. So a pain in the a@# to change them to inches. Please help.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by SMW Precision View Post
    Inch/mm whats the difference? Put a DRO on the machine and forget the dials. A complete 3-axis drop-in DRO kit is available on eBay for $350. Cures the measurement, backlash and accuracy frustrations with a mini-mill.

Ken
    I'll second that - I have one of Ken's systems on mine and it simply eliminates all the fuss - as a matter of fact, there are some applications where I will switch from inches to metric in process (e.g. - parts dimensioned in inches with motor mounting holes on metric centers)

EM

Quote Originally Posted by philbur View Post
    Forget the CAM drawings. A CNC mill can work equally well in either system regardless whether the leadscrews are metric or imperial. It could be bananas per inch, a slong as you know the convertion factor eveything is fine.

For manual use you need either metric screws with metric dials or inch screws with inch dials. A Metric screw with inch dial used to machine metric dimensions would be a nightmare.

I doubt you will save much importing from the States once you consider import duty/VAT, shipping and paperwork. Also how would you return a faulty machine.

Regards
    Phil
    Hi Phil,

Thanks for your comments. I guess you are right. I would really still prefer to have the machine calibrated in metric through and through. I was brought up with metric and I can picture everything in metric. With inch, I just couldn't picture inches with my cam model. I can understand what you are saying though, but with inch leadscrew and metric dial, won't i get confused somewhere along the line? FYI I am going to just start with manual first before retrofitting with a CNC unit.

To be honest, I have not touch a mill before but the pictures I saw of these mills does give me some idea of what it really would be like to have it in front of me.

What I don't want to do is to CNC mill my cam design and having to convert everything first before milling. If the software can convert that automatically for me, that will be great.

I'll second that - I have one of Ken's systems on mine and it simply eliminates all the fuss - as a matter of fact, there are some applications where I will switch from inches to metric in process (e.g. - parts dimensioned in inches with motor mounting holes on metric centers)

EM
    Is it very easy to just switch between system?

Now I am getting abit concern about getting the unit from the states. Should the unit be faulty, I am F#$@$d. But I really don't have any choice, we don't have a dealer here where I come from. And the only place I can get online is either the states or UK. None here in asia. Hmmm, maybe I should start thinking about opening up my own store selling mills and lathes.

Now I am getting abit concern about getting the unit from the states. Should the unit be faulty, I am F#$@$d. But I really don't have any choice, we don't have a dealer here where I come from. And the only place I can get online is either the states or UK. None here in asia. Hmmm, maybe I should start thinking about opening up my own store selling mills and lathes.
    Couldn't be easier - just push a button (system does not lose its 0,0 reference when you switch) Maybe you can buy one directly from Sieg - as I recall, some people were doing that with the X3 before it was imported here (US)

EM

Couldn't be easier - just push a button (system does not lose its 0,0 reference when you switch) Maybe you can buy one directly from Sieg - as I recall, some people were doing that with the X3 before it was imported here (US)

EM
    Thanks EM,

Just got a message back from Harbor Freight, I am afraid they can't export the unit out. Too big. And the UK side, the shipping is more expensive than the X2. So I am stuck. But I found this website, very interesting. Base in China.

http://syil.com.cn/products.asp

Legitimate or something else. I am chinese, but I myself is wary of chinese company claiming to be legitimate business when they have just operated for 3 years. Has anyone had experience ordering from them?

Finally got the website to order from China. Its sieg own website. Thanks EM. I have made some enquiries for the X2 and higher model. Fingers crossed.

If you are going to advertise that you have a drop-in DRO system for sale, it might be a good idea to have your website ready with information. It looks like you just started what with all the boilerplate stuff on your website.

So where can one get more details about your offering?

Ken

You might not have a dealer near by but there might be one a bit farther away. The other option is that you can order directly from Sieg in China and have the unit shipped to you. That way you should get exactly what you want. Last I knew they would ship individual machines to users in countries where they don't have a dealer network.

By the way I do believe your first sense is right, you want an all metric machine. Going this route will save you a lot of grief. I work in optics which is and has been primarily a world of metric forever even here in the US. There is nothing worst then screwing something up because you convert a measurement wrong or have a dial collar in the wrong place.

As to the suggestion of digital position display that is something to consider also. I find such arrangements more reliable than my ability to manage the dials on a leadscrew. Even better I don't make such units. The ability to flip back and forth between metric and English is golden. You do have the issue of forgetting which system you are in, sort of like having he dial collars in the wrong place.

Dave

http://syil.com.cn/products.asp

Legitimate or something else. I am chinese, but I myself is wary of chinese company claiming to be legitimate business when they have just operated for 3 years. Has anyone had experience ordering from them?
    There are threads on here about Syil. I haven't read through any lately but the indication was a very nicely done product. Service and support from a new company is always na issue. I'd suggest finding the Syil threads here on CNCZONE and getting the latest word.

Dave

Ken
    Nothing yet in this price range for an X3?