584,871 active members*
5,427 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Water cooling CPU

Where can I get a complete CPU water cooling system for my computer? Who has the best price?

First of all, are you looking for extreme cooling while overclocking or just a silent cooling solution? I've got tons of waterblocks sitting around - I can just send you one. (Call it a trade for the really cool CNCZone hat that I'm wearing )

Here's what you need to piece together a good watercooling system: pump, waterblock(s), tubing, heatercore (AKA radiator), hose clamps, and a fan to blow over your heatercore.

For the radiator just pick up a small heatercore at autozone. That should cost you about $20-$30. You can solder/jb-weld hose barbs onto it pretty easily. If you need help choosing the size, let me know. The Chevette HC is a popular size, to get you started.

Pumps - there's a lot of different choices here, but some top recommended ones are the Danner Mag 3, Eheim 1046, 1048, or 1250, Iwaki (almost any will do, but they're pricey!) and sometimes the Hydor L30 (I've heard of some quality concerns).

As you may know, I'm associated with a watercooling website, so I won't advertise their wares. However, here's 2 other great companies to order from.

www.dangerden.com (The RBX with a brass top is a great block.)
    www.dtekcustoms.com

Fans - get a 120mm fan if it will fit. You'll get more airflow at a lower noise level. Panaflo seems to be the popular choice here.

Tubing - Don't waste your money on Tygon. It's very expensive, and the same thing can be accomplished with PVC. I prefer ClearFlex or mastercleer (www.mcmaster.com). Get 1/8" wall thickness, not 1/16". It won't collapse nearly as easily.

Hose clamps are just common sense goodness. Don't skimp here.

Also, some of the very inexpensive WaterCooling kits will actually perform worse than a good air cooled heatsink. (The one linked is not a great performer.) Just do some looking around before you buy, and ask any questions you may have.
    My name is Electric Nachos. Sorry to impose, but I am the ocean.
    http://www.bryanpryor.com

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hey dude, you got a cnc right? get to work!

Neomoses and I could help you design some blocks to cut on your machine that you have. making them is soo much more fun.

I like the Mag3 pumps and the new swiftech pump(expencive!)

I would suggest a 3/8ID tubing setup as 1/2"ID gets to be huge,

If ya got more questions, just let us know, and remember, do it right the first time.

that evercool thing has very very low qualtiy and performance.

Jon

Originally posted by NeoMoses
    First of all, are you looking for extreme cooling while overclocking or just a silent cooling solution? I've got tons of waterblocks sitting around - I can just send you one. (Call it a trade for the really cool CNCZone hat that I'm wearing )

As you may know, I'm associated with a watercooling website, so I won't advertise their wares. However, here's 2 other great companies to order from.

www.dangerden.com (The RBX with a brass top is a great block.)
    www.dtekcustoms.com

Please do post your links, I'm really lost but you gave me some great info. I want to go to water because I don't like the noise and my CPU is in a tight spce with not enough air flow. I want to spend under 150.00 and I really want a kit I am WAY to busy to have to build my own.

I dont really see a need for watercooling unless you want to do it just to do it or if your gonna be overclocking a bunch. Maybe you could just add some fan holes or a big fan hole to the front of your case and one out the top or something. A high performance heatsink might cure your problem too.

Jon

I have a HP fan, and I want to overclock it, I do some video editing etc and could use more CPU power.

External, clean, not so cheap, easy, quick.. not sure if nice

http://www.thermaltake.com/coolers/aquarius/a1681.htm

hope it helps
    /U

oh ish, that is worse than a lot of performance air coolers, many many times worse. as a rule of thumb I stay away from all thermaltake products.

Jon

It's way to much for me I'm looking to spend under 150.00.

The main question is, "How much room do you have for a radiator?" Can you fit a 7"x7"x4" cube somewhere in your case? It should be on an external wall (front, top, sides, or bottom) in order to allow air to flow through the radiator. Most heatercores are about 2" thick, and with a fan and shroud, it's not uncommon to get a 4" thick radiator assembly. Also, the larger then radiator is, the better performance you'll get (generally).

If you can't fit a full 6x6 or 7x7 heatercore in your case, you'll likely need to go with a Black Ice Pro or Micro (expensive but tiny). They're available from many places such as dangerden. You might also check out eBay for good deals on them.

Here's my recommendations:
    • Since space is tight, 3/8" tubing is a good idea (good idea, Jon)
    • I would recommend 3/8" tubing stretched over 1/2" fittings. Makes for very good seals this way. Very little worries about leaking at all.
    • Probably go with a single inlet/single outlet CPU waterblock, such as the TC-4 or something. Again, I can help you out here.
    • If you do have to go with a Black Ice radiator, go with a low power output pump such as the 1046 or 1048. You don't want to be dumping too much heat into the system from the pump.

So, if you can come up with the pump and radiator, I can give you a block,some good 3/8" tubing, a T-fitting & cap. You should be all set, and have a great watercooling system for less than $100.

For the waterblock, I'm thinking about giving you a modified DB-2 with a copper top, single inlet/single outlet. I've got a couple of these laying around that were old prototypes. They work quite well, and solid copper means no worries about corrosion in your WB.

Do you have an AMD or a P4 system?
    My name is Electric Nachos. Sorry to impose, but I am the ocean.
    http://www.bryanpryor.com

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

NeoMoses - gotta question for ya. Do you design waterblocks that might have other applications? I'd be interested in building one for a particular application - but my memory of thermo is over 30 years dated! 'Fraid I'd proly get the deltaT all messed up. It would be part of a closed loop cooling system including a radiator and the waterblock submerged in seawater - maybe cast of silicone bronze - lost foam cast - foam milled on the cnc. I'd look at using etholyl-glycol as the coolant. Let me know - PM is good. Thanks and -
    :cheers: Jim
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

Might just mention that any water cooler will void your h/w warranties. Of course, so does OCing your rig. But, as long as you're at it, you should cool the GPU as well as the RAM and cpu. Does such a beast exist?

I'm working on a project for an unamed maker of unamed processors which will sell for under $150 and NOT void warranties of the CPU at least. Wish I could show it, but am under nda.

Watercooling in no way voids warrenty as far as I have known. I watercool my cpu, chipset and gpu and am working on some blocks for video card ram and possibly system ram, People have cooled power supplies, hard drives, mosfets south bridges and tons of stuff.

Jon

Jon,

you may be right. Let me elaborate: Damage caused by a liquid cooler (leaking) will void your warranty. same goes for OC'ing.

Originally posted by JFettig
    Watercooling in no way voids warrenty as far as I have known. I watercool my cpu, chipset and gpu and am working on some blocks for video card ram and possibly system ram, People have cooled power supplies, hard drives, mosfets south bridges and tons of stuff.

Jon

I voided warranty thee days after it arrived, cut the briges on xp1800 and unlocked it. It has been like that for over year and half. Wanted to do phase change (refrigeration) but I cought the CNC bug.Never looked back.

WallCrawler Guest

OK I'm going to get ready to WC my new computer so far I'm going with neo's recommendation. I will post my progress.

Welcome to the club

Fer

Here's a question

Why not just refrigerate the complete computer?could you throw the tower in a dorm room sized refridgerator?

Page 1 of 2 12