585,894 active members*
5,058 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > Need advice on motion controller for Yaskawa Sigma (Sigma 1 so to speak) ServoPack

Need advice on motion controller for Yaskawa Sigma (Sigma 1 so to speak) ServoPack

Hi everyone,

Need advice on motion controller for Yaskawa Sigma (Sigma 1 so to speak) ServoPack -- those are the very first series of what became the flagship product line of Sigma gear. Specifically my ServoPack / Motor combo is SGDA-02BS and I need the motion controller piece. The thing which can read the quadrature encoder and give me absolute motion for pre-programmed positions.

For example position #1 is 7k rotations forward with the proper spool up and down etc stuff to get me the rotations I need; then position #2 is xyz you get the idea. Right now I'm faced with having to program this at a very low level on an Arduino and I don't like the lack of flexibility. I know there are motion controllers for the high end stuff - Sigma 5 and mechatrolink gear but my setup is really the first generation Sigma!

I do know that even being a 1st generation the Sigma does expose the TTL output of the quadrature waveform so I assume there was a reason for that -- meaning a motion controller which can interface without a mechatrolink

Any advice will be appreciate!
    Thanks

Re: Need advice on motion controller for Yaskawa Sigma (Sigma 1 so to speak) ServoPac

Looks like you have the speed/torque model and not the position model. That means you need a controller that outputs +/- 10 volts. Check out the Logosol LS-180. It can be controlled with step and direction input or via the network (a running program).

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Re: Need advice on motion controller for Yaskawa Sigma (Sigma 1 so to speak) ServoPac

Thanks @chemphd

I actually have both the P and the S ServoPacks; I quickly figured that the S series has two bit binary function for pre-set speeds so I can get it to go easily using 3 different pre-programmed speeds (the 4th is zero speed) with no external motion controller.

Can the same be done with the P series? By "the same" I mean pre-program positions and then just control the ServoPack by using simple inputs to make it go to specific pre-programmed positions?

Thanks

Sorry, I'm not really familiar with those drives, I just looked up the series online and had a look at the user manual. At least with the position series, it looks like you can input step and direction, so you could use the Arduino stepper library and write a simple program to go to pre-determined positions. You could even trigger the moves via digital inputs. Sounds like you have a mechanical system that performs the same moves over and over again?

yes it's a linear actuator -- a big one