585,754 active members*
3,717 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Removing a router's fan, replacing with CPU fan

Removing a router's fan, replacing with CPU fan

Anybody ever remove a fan from a noisy standard commercial router? I'm spinning it at 20,000 and something tells me it's the fan making all the noise (attatched to main shaft? sounds like it). There's no reason why I can't remove it and use a CPU fan instead correct? I've got another couple weeks until my spindle comes in and don't want to piss the neighbors off too much in the meantime.

Re: Removing a router's fan, replacing with CPU fan

A CPU fan is designed to cool a CPU which is equipped with a large heatsink and dissipates a hundred watts or less. I doubt it would have enough airflow to cool a router spindle.

I'm gonna try it and see what happens, seeing as I have 3 routers anyways.. Should've mentioned my garage stays at the temperature where beer freezes. I might even just re-design the vaccuum system to allow more airflow to pull/flow around the motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Browellr View Post
    I'm gonna try it and see what happens, seeing as I have 3 routers anyways.. Should've mentioned my garage stays at the temperature where beer freezes. I might even just re-design the vaccuum system to allow more airflow to pull/flow around the motor.
    Good luck with this, I do not think you will achieve the required air flow thru the router to keep it from overheating...My router runs for many hours on long continuous programs and stays only warm to the touch. Why are you thinking of this 'mod', eliminate the air blast on the work surface?

The fan in a router is attached to the shaft and runs at the same rpm as the router bit. That's why it screams. I don't think what you want to do is feasible.

Just buy a proper spindle
    7xCNC.com - CNC info for the minilathe (7x10, 7x12, 7x14, 7x16)

Quote Originally Posted by pippin88 View Post
    The fan in a router is attached to the shaft and runs at the same rpm as the router bit. That's why it screams. I don't think what you want to do is feasible.

Just buy a proper spindle
    I did buy a proper spindle. It won't be at my doorstep for at least a couple weeks, possibly a month, and I've got fixtures to make. Yes, the fan is attached to the spindle and the blades of said fan are designed in a way that they will not inhibit the spinning of the motor too much, and in essence are horribly in-efficient for moving air. My shop vac moved air far more efficiently, and even my PC moves more air then my router.

Air has to come from somewhere. Having a fan blowing upwards (my router fan blows away from the bit, actually pulling dust THROUGH the router) working against a vacuum that is pulling air in the opposite direction can't be good for the vacuum or the router fan. My 'mod' involves a small efficient fan running on separate power (9V battery) blowing downwards above the router and essentially towards the vacuum. We're talking about 0 degrees C, 30 degrees F air here, so I think that will also help with the cooling.. and again, I have 3 of these. If it blows up, I'll have the experiment on video and we'll all know for sure why you should or shouldn't mess with router fans. I was just hoping someone crazy enough to think of this already tried it.

If you cam get enough airflow, it'll work fine. If not, it'll overheat very quickly. We have some routers here at work with damaged fans, and they'll overheat in about 1 minute with no fan.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)