584,871 active members*
5,457 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > OpenSource CNC Design Center > Arduino > Russian Arduino Lead Screw Project??
Page 3 of 7 12345

Re: Russian Arduino Lead Screw Project??

Thanks again Bruce!, i owe U big time - didn't know pic translate facility existed.
    herewith the English version for those that are interested.
    re the flashing light, no pls look at pic again, its the Analogue Ref Led flashing, this is flashing after the program is already loaded ( i didnt make that clear).
    It is not the RX led.
    Ver 6 c doesn't cause this when running. the program seems to be toggling the A ref led & i have checked, (i dont write code but that seems a weird thing to do, its output is not used in the 7e2 schematic.
    If i re-instal Ver. 6c then run it, (functions work) it definitely doesn't flash.
    Re-installation & run of Ver. 7e2 causes the same thing. One would assume U want the analogue ref to be stable, its whole purpose in life, normally.
    Hope U not affected by the vicious Texas storms that we read about in the newspaper today.

Hi Ya Qtron,
    Thanks for updating the picture. I haven't had the chance to work on getting mine up and running for long while so haven't "poured" the V7e2 into the Arduino. It's on my list. By the by, what kind of lathe do you have? Please keep me updated on your progress.

Regarding the weather we're doing fine. The media exaggerates how wide storm damage is here; sex and disaster sell. I hope all is well out your way.

ok Bruce, will wait for you to see that same Aref led issue, or not.. i assume U agree its weird.
    I Do hope its not the start of a stream of other issues.. i have no way, no skills to unscramble the f/w & rebuild.
    Do you write f/w?
    To build the 7e2 controller console at this point might seem foolish until this issue is resolved. Esp if i have to revert to ver 6c.
    glad u are ok, Tornado destruction pics i saw weren't good.
    My lathe is an old Taiwanese one with issues re the cross slide. I need to machine new tapered gibs, no easy task.
    Its about 550lb weight, 1.0 HP, belt driven, with back gears, auto feed for Z & X axis.
    Yours?

Hi Paulmacc,
    Is there any chance you could peruse this thread esp page 4 re issues with Russian ELS version 7e2 .
    Yes i was tempted with Rocketronics slick setup but big $$$ & am intrigued as to what the Mega can do, bar the Aref issue referred to.
    cheers,
    Qtronpowerson.

Hi Qtron,
    I would just try it and see or, if you are worried about it, post over on the chipmaker forum to see what they say. Don't wait for me as work has put the cat-n-nine tails to me for the last couple of years. I am just now catching up on a bunch of honey-dos that have been neglected over that time and those will have to take priority. Having said that, I have made some progress in going through the new code and adding comments so that I can get an idea of what is happening. I am not a great C++ programmer but have a clue as to what is going on.

That's a nice ol'beast of a lathe, the Taiwanese lathes are pretty good. I have a Grizzly G0768 which is made in China.It weighs about 90 lb. It sold elsewhere as a 300 X 180mm. She's been great so far and done everything I've asked. I just don't have the space for a bigger lath.

I did some digging and apparently if Pin 13 isn't specifically set in the code high or low, then it can wind up in either state depending upon what else is going on. See post 6 on this link:

https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=136476.0

Quote Originally Posted by bowcoastie View Post
    I did some digging and apparently if Pin 13 isn't specifically set in the code high or low, then it can wind up in either state depending upon what else is going on. See post 6 on this link:

https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=136476.0
    i had a look at that info, again well done, Much appreciated,
    But Am not sure if this is the same prob as they, JimboZA, refers to Mega2560, pin 13, (pinMode(13, OUTPUT); digitalWrite(13, LOW)
    The 7e2 causes the led to consistently flash, but its pin 98, the Analogue Ref.
    Also, With the display shield attached, ( but previously removed it when programmed, as its not the correct setup for the 1602 with this f/w ("it will not stuck")
    the display backlight flashes in sync with the ARef Led.
    JimboZA seem to be referring to a random or indeterminate situation.
    I would feel reluctant to over-ride his prog, with a line of code inserted even with it defined as pin 98, as i dont know the ramifications.
    I have learnt a new Americanism, "
    bunch of honey-dos"!! I got enuf of those for the 'Grey Army' to be fully occupied for months here, LOL.
    BTW cant do anything outside, the smoke is appalling, bad for eyes, lungs. Poor Animals.

Hi Ya,
    As you have a chipmaker account now, you should ask on the forum to see what they say. Is your board a brand-name board? I am not sure of where you are getting pin 98 from as there is no pin in the data sheet that goes that high. Do you have a link to the place you are looking at?

I used to live in Malaya and the smoke from all the forest fires was horrible. Hang in there, it will get lined out.

Regards,

Bruce

By the way, this is the first time the alerts worked properly.

Hi Ya,
    As you have a chipmaker account now, you should ask on the forum to see what they say. Is your board a brand-name board? I am not sure of where you are getting pin 98 from as there is no pin in the data sheet that goes that high. Do you have a link to the place you are looking at?

I used to live in Malaya and the smoke from all the forest fires was horrible. Hang in there, it will get lined out.
    Regards,
    Bruce
    By the way, this is the first time the alerts worked properly.
    Ah Bruce, i been getting your alerts for a while now, but dunno what i did right!
    Smoke clearing tonight, Better, RAIN coming for fire areas still burning.. just saw news banner, yet another " too late to leave" warning.
    Re Chipmaker, for a change, & courtesy your link, i tried Yandex website translate.. but same problem - i cant post without accepting cookies,
    so, as previously, accepting them causes the site to reject. I have no way of posting.
    However,
    I did email the moderator & some of the English i got back was nonsense.
    Its a 'proper' Mega R3,
    ... I have been digging - with a DMM on the actual mega board.
    Unfortunately Arduino.cc do not have any descriptors of the actual physical board.
    That ARef led is NOT!! Very misleading with that little white "L" on the board that appears to be pointing to that Led. its an "L" label.
    From the Arduino.cc 's Mega schematic, the Power Led is labelled as Green ON.
    Beneath it is the Yellow Led labelled 'L'.. (??)
    It is hanging off Pin 13 of the breakout pins, but in reality its actually pin 26 of the micro, defined as a PWM pin. All DMM confirmed.
    So i have given U incorrect info, but inadvertently, & plainly from the pic supplied, definitely confusing.
    Many apologies!!
    Pin 26, or Mega breakout pin '13' on Oleg's setup is connecting to D7 of the display.
    (But D7 goes to pin 7 on the Mega for ver 6c, [the default location of the arduino 1602 display] the 'L' Led is on steady with this version).
    .. mystery still remains as to why that pulsing is needed.
    so u were right with your pin 13 diggings! but am not going to alter anything in Oleg's file.
    Looking fwd now to JLCPCB's delivery of the "OilMajor's" adapter board to sus it all out.
    Cheers,
    Qtronpowerson.

Hi Ya Qtron,
    That is great news; both on the fire front and the project front. Please keep us up to date as you make progress on this. I have gathered everything to do the project and started mounting things on the lathe finally. I had completed the control board for V6 but did get the chance to put it in service. So I am pursuing vs 7 instead. It's on the list and making it further up the list .

Take Care,

Bruce

Hi Ya Qtron,
    That is great news; both on the fire front and the project front. Please keep us up to date as you make progress on this. I have gathered everything to do the project and started mounting things on the lathe finally. I had completed the control board for V6 but did get the chance to put it in service. So I am pursuing vs 7 instead. It's on the list and making it further up the list .
    Take Care,
    Bruce
    .THANKYOU Bruce for your persistent help thru all of the above.
    In case u were looking, I can highly recommend
    worldofward.com, a very clever programmer who has supplied me a 'simple' Gear cutting rotary table/spindle controller kit
    that has a comprehensive settings list, WITH X axis control to automatically cut a gear.
    Steve Ward is very accommodating & this month has been getting busy.
    He will tweak the software if needed. PIC powered.
    I was also thinking it lends itself to assisting with tool grinding, given the right apparatus.
    His web page not updated yet to reflect the latest version (last time I looked).
    After 3 days of choking smoke, thunderstorms have finally freed us to be 'normal' again.
    I hope the ''honey-do's'' are progressing!

Hi Qtron,
    I am so glad you guys got some rain! I'll check out Steve's site.

The honey-do's are slowly getting there. Should be able to get the last of them done by the end of my vacation. :P

Regards,

Bruce

Hi Qtron,
    I just had a look at Steve's site, it is an interesting project. This is the same functionality that comes from the Russian (I really should call it the Latvian ELS as that is where Oleg, the inventor, is from) called Divide on the mode selection knob. I like Steve's project and once I get the Russian ELS done, I may add this for a rotary table.

Thanks.

Hi Qtron,
    I just had a look at Steve's site, it is an interesting project. This is the same functionality that comes from the Russian (I really should call it the Latvian ELS as that is where Oleg, the inventor, is from) called Divide on the mode selection knob. I like Steve's project and once I get the Russian ELS done, I may add this for a rotary table.

Thanks.
    Hiya Bruce,
    glad U looked - see attached.
    Hey how'd U find out abt Latvian.. Got his email address?- could be handy, Just in case
    Finally got Clough42's ELS ver 1.1.01 assembled & preliminary tested, attached.
    Problem is U cant define start finish points, needs improvements, T.I. 'Piccolo' board not cheap, & paying for debug probe I will never use.
    Purpose of all these ELS snafflings? - to compare on multiple levels, then hopefully pick best choice.. (sometimes technophobia sets in, lol. Dont want cockpit fright when i'm older and cant remember what does what).
    I think James Clough believes in the KISS principle, thus the simple display etc. but, for the uninitiated like me the T.I. 64bit IDE is scary, despite Jame's clear, & well planned youtube vids.
    Another very interesting design is from Italy, MECCANICA e DINTORNI • Leggi argomento - ELS (Electronic Lead Screw) - progetto con ARDUINO, page 1 is the 1.6 version Zip. runs on an arduino Uno, so far the most anaemic 'MCU' i have seen used for this kind of work. No X axis control tho. But at least it has Z travel distance displayed in mm.
    only about 280 lines of code,maybe that'san unfair way of gauging intricacies of work done, but Russian 7e2 is 2,800 lines!! DVT stuff.
    https://youtu.be/SqvQmDCkh2o?list=TL...MjCqtFwWvPOokQ

BTW, given my 'discovery' re that pin 13 on the Mega, did U see any reference to that pin in the 7e2 code? (only if U want to of course!).
    'OilMajors' adapter board getting closer to Oz, been shipped.
    Cheers,
    PS the gear on the stepper was made using an 8 x 1.75mm tap in the mill chuck. Sneaky trick, but probably well known.
    - most important thing U need to know, is starting dia. & finish dia. (Depth of cut).

Hi Ya Qtron,
    Wow, that's a lot of work to go through; are you going to share it on a website or youtube? It will be interesting to see what you come up with. I looked a Clough's stuff and like you, I didn't want to invest my time in learning another micro-controller.

The reason that I like the Latvian (Russian) Arduino based ELS is that I could build it myself with just the plans provided and I could modify it readily as I understand the code (mostly).

I like the trick with the tap to cut the gear for the electronic divider, I was thinking I'd attache the stepper directly to the hand-wheel with a belt. How large is that stepper motor? It looks large for a rotary table; unless it's an 8" (200mm) or bigger. I would have thought that a NEMA 23 would do for even large tables and a small table like mine, 3" (75 mm) I might use a NEMA 17 stepper.

I found that Oleg was Latvian from his profile where it shows his city as being Riga, which is in Latvia. I don't have his email but he is very responsive on the forum.

I love seeing what your up to, keep up the work. You need to have a way to share your comparison though.

Take Care,

Bruce

Yes i did look a Riga, remember now But given my stated issues with the russian translate, i cant post to him.
    Steppers are just in situ to test. big one only 3,5 Nm Nema 24, 8 mm shaft. but, gunna set up small stepper on a 75 mm 'bubby' rotary table for now. Portable
    Check youtube re rotary table adaptation methods. I gunna try to retain orig manual control if possible. Definitely use a T5 belt, pulleys. Or direct if u want the stepper sticking out like a ..

BTW, given my 'discovery' re that pin 13 on the Mega, did U see any reference to that pin in the 7e2 code? (only if U want to of course!). not nagging!
    May draw a spreadsheet list features links, pics, & watch out for's. TIME is Fleeting!!

Hello Qtron,
    Sorry, I missed the question. Looking through the code Pin 13 is used to drive D7 on the LCD screen. You can see it in the attached schematic.

I tried the "rotary table adaptation methods" and didn't see anything that talked about the motor mount.

I know what you mean by time is fleeting. I am coming to the end of my vacation so the salt mines are calling me soon. Got some things done at least.

All the Best,

Bruce

Hi guys,
    I speak Russian and I *may* be able to help you with some language-specific issues (like talking to chipmaker.ru moderators or translating some parts of the spec etc.).
    I'm not very deep into this project (just ordered PCB and was hoping that the rest will mostly "just work") so I may not be able to answer technical questions. And I can't promise that I will be tracking this thread for long - sorry if I disappear.

> go to the last page, 15, in that thread, has the latest developed Interface bd, "Nikolai 67 shield 1.1"
    > but i cant download the gerber files.

This is the direct link to the gerber files download page (there is a 1-minute countdown timer before download actually starts)
    https://www.chipmaker.ru/files/file/...79b5a318d68ddd
    Must work for you (I just downloaded it without registration).

I wonder why people don't use better services to share such designs (like github/bitbucket for code or similar services for PCB designs etc.) - much easier to share, track updates and fork compared to uploading zip files.

BTW, "Guitar" is a slang term for "Lathe Gearbox" in Russian (due to the shape of the gearbox on some lathes?).

Hello Appolaris,
    Thank you so much for the offer of your help in translating things. I am currently going through the current version to translate the comments and there are a few that don't make sense. I'll pass them along later as I have to get back to my chores.

Regards,

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by appolaris View Post
    Hi guys,
    I speak Russian and I *may* be able to help you with some language-specific issues (like talking to chipmaker.ru moderators or translating some parts of the spec etc.).
    I'm not very deep into this project (just ordered PCB and was hoping that the rest will mostly "just work") so I may not be able to answer technical questions. And I can't promise that I will be tracking this thread for long - sorry if I disappear.

> go to the last page, 15, in that thread, has the latest developed Interface bd, "Nikolai 67 shield 1.1"
    > but i cant download the gerber files.

This is the direct link to the gerber files download page (there is a 1-minute countdown timer before download actually starts)
    https://www.chipmaker.ru/files/file/...79b5a318d68ddd
    Must work for you (I just downloaded it without registration).

I wonder why people don't use better services to share such designs (like github/bitbucket for code or similar services for PCB designs etc.) - much easier to share, track updates and fork compared to uploading zip files.

BTW, "Guitar" is a slang term for "Lathe Gearbox" in Russian (due to the shape of the gearbox on some lathes?).
    Hi Appolaris!
    Wow at last now we know re that 'guitar' ! Makes sense but I bet some Russians still find the term misleading!
    So whats the main diff between oilMajors adapter board, & Nickolai67's board? .. I ordered both versions, after a struggle to register on chipmaker, to download the files.
    Pls tell Oleg to put on Github!
    Yes, pls tell me why the code causes Led 'L' on the Mega to flash? Pin 13.- connects to D7 of LCD. See my pic, was above at post #39 page 4. I know its used as a test Led, but seems odd to flash it, given its connection to the LCD.
    Would you be able to ask Oleg?, I'd very much appreciate that!
    Also, What does the 'L' stand for, on this mega2560 PCB?
    Cheers,
    Qtronpowerson.

Page 3 of 7 12345