584,837 active members*
5,387 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > OpenSource CNC Design Center > Arduino > Russian Arduino Lead Screw Project??
Page 2 of 7 1234

Re: Russian Arduino Lead Screw Project??

Quote Originally Posted by paulmacc View Post
    I think you could just leave the code as is and not connect limits switches etc. that you don''t want to use. The feature select is done by a rotary switch so you could connect a 3 way switch to feed and thread inputs (3rd position off) leave the others not connected.

I ended up purchasing a Rocketronics ELS and that works great! Pre-built too! You can choose not to connect an x feed motor in setup menu then just don't use the other options in the menu. Very easy to setup, simple to use and quite cheap for a built and tested unit. There's also another ELS project that I found, using a touch screen and looks really promising. Not released yet but worth a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKKs4lCEXwE

Also there is another one in development here, may be more what your look for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTs9GygRQ-U&t=16s

Hope this helps.

*** UPDATE***

Thought I may as well add this one to the mix as well. a really nice project too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_aGsBCorww

He has a website too. https://www.wadeodesign.com/cnc-lathe.html
    Hi thanks is it possible to just buy the case and board as I have most of the other bits..thanks

If you mean for the Rocketronics ELS, then yes that's what I did. Though you need to be careful when wiring up the motors to the controller. I managed to bridge 2 of the wires and fried the input for that motor. Luckily when I contacted Rocketronics he said replacing a single surface mounted IC would probably fix it and it did. Been going great ever since. Just need younger eyes when wiring up.

I did use a different encoder the the one he sells as I found that a bit hard to mount. Went with a Chinese version of a OMRON 400P Incremental Rotary Encoder. Works great.

My setup. Chinese lathe, 1Kw chinese servo on leadscrew driving thru gearbox, 750w DMM servo on cross slide.

Rotary encoder is direct drive off output for gearbox as it's 1:1 to spindle. Intend to mount it properly....eventually :-) Other sensor is for a RPM display I did before the ELS
    1Kw Servo is direct drive to gearbox input shaft. I can use the gearbox to play with different ratios. Motor is probably too big, but it's just what I had.

Cross slide was a bit trickier. Wanted to do it without modifying lathe too much and still be able to use manually. As there were no roller bearings on the cross slide shaft(just a flat thrust bearing) I had to add the extension to hold 2 roller bearings to take the side load and use a shaft extension to get enough room for the drive sprocket and handle. Allows me to still access all the manual levels. Set the ELS to Gearbox mode and it's just like a manual lathe.

Still have a few things to finish off, but having too much fun playing with it to do that yet!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190423_084517.jpg  

If you mean for the Rocketronics ELS, then yes that's what I did. Though you need to be careful when wiring up the motors to the controller. I managed to bridge 2 of the wires and fried the input for that motor. Luckily when I contacted Rocketronics he said replacing a single surface mounted IC would probably fix it and it did. Been going great ever since. Just need younger eyes when wiring up.

I did use a different encoder the the one he sells as I found that a bit hard to mount. Went with a Chinese version of a OMRON 400P Incremental Rotary Encoder. Works great.

My setup. Chinese lathe, 1Kw chinese servo on leadscrew driving thru gearbox, 750w DMM servo on cross slide.

Rotary encoder is direct drive off output for gearbox as it's 1:1 to spindle. Intend to mount it properly....eventually :-) Other sensor is for a RPM display I did before the ELS
    1Kw Servo is direct drive to gearbox input shaft. I can use the gearbox to play with different ratios. Motor is probably too big, but it's just what I had.

Cross slide was a bit trickier. Wanted to do it without modifying lathe too much and still be able to use manually. As there were no roller bearings on the cross slide shaft(just a flat thrust bearing) I had to add the extension to hold 2 roller bearings to take the side load and use a shaft extension to get enough room for the drive sprocket and handle. Allows me to still access all the manual levels. Set the ELS to Gearbox mode and it's just like a manual lathe.

Still have a few things to finish off, but having too much fun playing with it to do that yet!
    Hi yes I meant the Rocketronics. I like your setup and once again thank you for your advice. So you got the case with lcd and operation board together with software. Is the layout on the lcd in English ? I went to the Rocketronics site and translated via google but still not sure how to order those parts only.. Anyway thanks, really helpful

Firstly, if you use google Chrome browser you can right click on the page and ask it to translate to English, may ask you automatically too. That makes reading a lot easier and it's quite a good translation, pity firefox doesn't do it. I went to the shop and purchased the assembled ELS 3. Comes with software, ready to go and English menu option. Think he even set mine to English before sending.

To get it going you will need:

+ELS 3 Assembled unit https://www.rocketronics.de/produkt/els2komplett/
    +Rotary Encoder for spindle speed, either his or Ebay as mention above.
    +USB power cable for ELS.
    +Lan cables for x,y and encoder. I bought his as they were there.
    +1 or 2 stepper/servo motors and drivers, depending on what you want to do, you don't have to use both. If you buy from him he supplies pre-wired cables and you can't do what I did and fry the ELS! But it's not hard to wire your own.
    +Some way to couple motors to lathe, either pulleys and belts or the couplings like I used on the encoder, just bigger

Only real problem is the latest manual for the ELS 3 is in German, but I have used an online PDF translator and someone has posted a copy in the forum. I think there are some countries he can't sell to , so just check you're not on that list.

Firstly, if you use google Chrome browser you can right click on the page and ask it to translate to English, may ask you automatically too. That makes reading a lot easier and it's quite a good translation, pity firefox doesn't do it. I went to the shop and purchased the assembled ELS 3. Comes with software, ready to go and English menu option. Think he even set mine to English before sending.

To get it going you will need:

+ELS 3 Assembled unit https://www.rocketronics.de/produkt/els2komplett/
    +Rotary Encoder for spindle speed, either his or Ebay as mention above.
    +USB power cable for ELS.
    +Lan cables for x,y and encoder. I bought his as they were there.
    +1 or 2 stepper/servo motors and drivers, depending on what you want to do, you don't have to use both. If you buy from him he supplies pre-wired cables and you can't do what I did and fry the ELS! But it's not hard to wire your own.
    +Some way to couple motors to lathe, either pulleys and belts or the couplings like I used on the encoder, just bigger

Only real problem is the latest manual for the ELS 3 is in German, but I have used an online PDF translator and someone has posted a copy in the forum. I think there are some countries he can't sell to , so just check you're not on that list.
    Thank you very much

Rocketronics has just updated his website, now has an English version and new design. He also is re-releasing the ELS3 with an updated design and a few new features, mainly inputs for limit switches, but the big news is an ELS4 with a bigger Colour screen and quite a few new features. Won't list them all here so have a look at his website if interested.

Managed to complete the Russian ELS with lots of help from Richard Edwards. I am really pleased with it I can screw cut to a shoulder, auto threading ,cross slide feef tapers,facing, 4 electronic stops with repeat ability to 0.01mm and spindle division. Really excellent

Quote Originally Posted by stroheim View Post
    Managed to complete the Russian ELS with lots of help from Richard Edwards. I am really pleased with it I can screw cut to a shoulder, auto threading ,cross slide feef tapers,facing, 4 electronic stops with repeat ability to 0.01mm and spindle division. Really excellent
    Hiya Stroheim,
    i wish i could find the latest zip file for 7e2 by Oleg. I have spent many hours translating pages form chipmaker,ru tried to assemble notes, then finally found page 1 of this thread with a zip file, but not sure if its the latest, given a pic of his controller is more complex than that enclosed in that (OpenDocument text) zipped file, as posted by Bowcoastie #5.
    - I have no idea how anyone could sit & write 2000+ lines of code without getting a DVT.
    some pesky questions:
    Where did Oleg post the zip files?
    How do I get the adapter/shield PCB & BOM.?
    How does he control the lathe spindle to rotate to a set angle?
    Who is Richard Edwards?
    May i presume that, being only a 1602 LCD display, that there's a plethora of screens to go thru to set all the parameters?
    I have been attempting CLOUGH42 's Ti Piccolo powered ELS, (Youtube) but it doesn't have any X feed, at this point.

"With all that said, the ELS from John Dammeyer is a much nicer and more professional unit. It can do even more than the Russian one and, if you get the Russian ELS working, the set-up on John's unit is very easy."
    Hi Bruce,
    could you pls elaborate as to who John Dammeyer is?
    When U say nicer, do you mean a better screen/display?
    cheers,
    Qtronpowerson

Quote Originally Posted by bowcoastie View Post
    Hi Paul,
    I hope you had a good harvest and that the prices have held. I've been posting files over on the Yahyoo E-LeadScrew (https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/E-LeadScrew/info) group just to keep them all centralized. I'll upload the documents I have here as well but won't keep them updated as I will there.

As to the choice of expansion boards, there are several screw terminal boards for about $35 that would make this a lot easier. Just so you know, nothing will happen in the code without the encoder for the stepper motor; most everything is driven off the interrupt from the encoder.

A gentleman named Richard over in the UK is working with me to get this thing working and putting together suitable documentation to make it easier for non-Russians to set it up.

With all that said, the ELS from John Dammeyer is a much nicer and more professional unit. It can do even more than the Russian one and, if you get the Russian ELS working, the set-up on John's unit is very easy.

Anyway, I a happy to help in anyway possible.
    Regards,
    Bruce
    Hi Bruce,
    with regards to John Dammeyer's "Artisans" ELS i found it & see what you mean, NICE! but at this point i am investigating the Oleg Lead screw & downloaded the files you posted, much appreciated - i couldnt find them anywhere on the russian site despite "All information is on the forum: http://www.chipmaker.ru/topic/118083/"
    I did find "Oil Major's design of the Interface bd, sandwiched between the MEGA 2560 & the 1602 display keypad shield.
    however, this version is ELS v7 - shield v3; Rev.4, which does not marry up with the zipped files U attached, my LCD display showing "ELS v.6c"
    nor the document therein. photos of the final controller are more comprehensive than the one revealed in the doc too (.odt file)
    unfortunately the video clip only shows the earlier version of the software, in a low 480p res vid.
    I guess, importantly, this adapter board shows a display header & am not sure which type of display now used (maybe its still the 1602).
    Where was the sketch file on the site as above?
    BTW the link to yahoo is a dud.
    Thanks, in advance, for your help,
    Qtronpowerson.

Quote Originally Posted by stroheim View Post
    Hi Stroheim,
    I just posted this to Bruce,aka Bowcoastie,
    "Hi Bruce,
    with regards to John Dammeyer's "Artisans" ELS i found it & see what you mean, NICE! but at this point i am investigating the Oleg Lead screw & downloaded the files you posted, much appreciated - i couldnt find them anywhere on the russian site despite "All information is on the forum: http://www.chipmaker.ru/topic/118083/"
    I did find "Oil Major's design of the Interface bd, sandwiched between the MEGA 2560 & the 1602 display keypad shield.
    however, this version is ELS v7 - shield v3; Rev.4, which does not marry up with the zipped files U attached, my LCD display showing "ELS v.6c"
    nor the document therein. photos of the final controller are more comprehensive than the one revealed in the doc too (.odt file)
    unfortunately the video clip only shows the earlier version of the software, in a low 480p res vid.
    I guess, importantly, this adapter board shows a display header & am not sure which type of display now used (maybe its still the 1602).
    Where was the sketch file on the site as above?
    ..."
    If you could Please shed light on your particular version & where you got the adapter board files, BOM etc, I'd really appreciate it.
    Cheers,
    Qtronpowerson.

Hello Qtronpowerson and everyone else. Sorry I didn't respond to all of you on this thread but I didn't get a notification that it was still on-going. First off, the link to download the files for the latest is as follows:https://www.chipmaker.ru/files/file/9787/

I have just downloaded it and have translated all the comments and messages to English. If anyone is interested, I have attached the files. If I can be of service, please let me know.

As to the boards, I am following the schematic that Oleg provided and a screw terminal shield for the Arduino: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-set-MEGA-...72.m2749.l2649

Hello Qtronpowerson and everyone else. Sorry I didn't respond to all of you on this thread but I didn't get a notification that it was still on-going. First off, the link to download the files for the latest is as follows:https://www.chipmaker.ru/files/file/9787/
    I have just downloaded it and have translated all the comments and messages to English. If anyone is interested, I have attached the files. If I can be of service, please let me know.
    As to the boards, I am following the schematic that Oleg provided and a screw terminal shield for the Arduino: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-set-MEGA-...72.m2749.l2649
    Yes am well, considering the rest of Oz is trying to burn down to dirt level. Its very sad, nearly 1900 homes gone & we are not in the peak of summer here..
    I hope U are OK. Where are you based?
    A BIG Thankyou very much for that 7e2 zip file link.. but, pls excuse my ignorance here, - they seem to be a bunch of individual arduino files
    & i am baffled as to how to implement them.
    I have a MEGA 2560 prototype shield but the russians seem to be scared of proper circuit diagrams to make plain topic/11808
    I did order that "OilMajor" pcb that i found on a the forum, the referred to EasyEDA site that enabled me to directly order the pcb from JLCPCB.com china.
    but now i see the breadboard version you refer to has three trimpots, not 1.
    the prototype board on the forum seem to show a number of different underside wiring schemes too.
    so I hope i havent ordered for the wrong software.. all very puzzling
    (& google translate is lacking too - yes saw something a bout "it will not stuck" "electronic guitar", & pouring into",,LOL).
    i didnt get an email re you reply either, & I CAN'T find how to fix that on this CNCZONE site.
    Finally is there a proper manual, that guides one thru all the features of 7e2 without being jumbled up with earlier versions?
    Last pesky question, What is the TFT display now used?

JUST found: by Oleg A. in topic/118083
    re all those pics of prototype board wiring sequences,
    at the end -
    "after the publication of the photographs, the scheme was slightly modified and changedI replaced the photo, but maybe not all changes are displayed in the pictures, check the diagram"
    Feb 18, 2018.
    BTW, what is (Oleg A. 27 OCT 17) ver 7 b. "3. torzanuli / sprayed the workpiece with a return to the back stop, set the right stop"??

Good morning Qtron,
    I am sorry to hear about the troubles Australia is having. It is really sad that they have been catching idiots deliberately setting fire. But I know the character of the Australian people and they will pull threw. In my area we often have hurricanes so I know how disaster can take a toll on a nations psyche.

I am based out of Texas in the US. I used to be in the UK and go back when I get the chance.

First thing, the google automatic translation within the browser doesn't work anymore. What I found works is to go to translate.google.com and paste in the website that you would like translated. Another link will appear in the translated window and it will open the page translated in a frame. Navigation in the translated page does not work properly if you just click the links. What I found that works is to right-click the link in the page and select "Open link in new tab". Then the new page will open.

The number of trim-pots on the board is dependent upon what encoder you have used. If you purchased the encoder like an omron off of Aliexpress, then you only need the pot for setting the feed rate and contrast on the LCD ( to pin A7 on the LCD 1602 respectively). The trim pot for the LCD contrast is not on the Oil Major board. The following is the wiring schematic for the Arduino with the trim post that are not needed in orange and components other components in red which are on Oil Majors board if you didn't make your own encoder:

As to the multiple tabs in the Arduino project, when you compile the project and up-load it to the Arduino, they will all be put in there proper place. What Oleg did was break out each of the routines to make them easier to deal with for future modifications.

I figured out what the problem was with notifications on the CNCzone site; you have to turn on immediate notification on your subscribed threads under settings. At least that is how I think it works.

As far as the display goes the 1602 LCD is the standard. There were some who developed a fork for the software to use a TFT but I think that it isn't the way to go. Hear is a link to one on eBay that is typical:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-1602-16x2-Character-LCD-Display-Module-HD44780-Controller-Blue-Arduino/272321450094?epid=27017662893&hash=item3f679f906e: g:GqIAAOSwSv1XmH~S

They make them in a wide variety of colors and I picked up a large version of it.

I have downloaded the google translate version of the operations guide which you will find attached. In the translation the lathe chuck comes out as Cartridge.

On a final note, I tried to look at topic/11808 and that is not the correct topic; it comes up as a discussion on how to download all the Scientific Americans. Check the number and we can have a look.

All the best to you and all,

Bruce

Good morning Qtron,
    I am sorry to hear about the troubles Australia is having. It is really sad that they have been catching idiots deliberately setting fire. But I know the character of the Australian people and they will pull threw. In my area we often have hurricanes so I know how disaster can take a toll on a nations psyche.

I am based out of Texas in the US. I used to be in the UK and go back when I get the chance.

First thing, the google automatic translation within the browser doesn't work anymore. What I found works is to go to translate.google.com and paste in the website that you would like translated. Another link will appear in the translated window and it will open the page translated in a frame. Navigation in the translated page does not work properly if you just click the links. What I found that works is to right-click the link in the page and select "Open link in new tab". Then the new page will open.

The number of trim-pots on the board is dependent upon what encoder you have used. If you purchased the encoder like an omron off of Aliexpress, then you only need the pot for setting the feed rate and contrast on the LCD ( to pin A7 on the LCD 1602 respectively). The trim pot for the LCD contrast is not on the Oil Major board. The following is the wiring schematic for the Arduino with the trim post that are not needed in orange and components other components in red which are on Oil Majors board if you didn't make your own encoder:

As to the multiple tabs in the Arduino project, when you compile the project and up-load it to the Arduino, they will all be put in there proper place. What Oleg did was break out each of the routines to make them easier to deal with for future modifications.

I figured out what the problem was with notifications on the CNCzone site; you have to turn on immediate notification on your subscribed threads under settings. At least that is how I think it works.

As far as the display goes the 1602 LCD is the standard. There were some who developed a fork for the software to use a TFT but I think that it isn't the way to go. Hear is a link to one on eBay that is typical:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-1602-16x2-Character-LCD-Display-Module-HD44780-Controller-Blue-Arduino/272321450094?epid=27017662893&hash=item3f679f906e: g:GqIAAOSwSv1XmH~S

They make them in a wide variety of colors and I picked up a large version of it.

I have downloaded the google translate version of the operations guide which you will find attached. In the translation the lathe chuck comes out as Cartridge.

On a final note, I tried to look at topic/11808 and that is not the correct topic; it comes up as a discussion on how to download all the Scientific Americans. Check the number and we can have a look.

All the best to you and all,

Bruce
    Thanks for your rapid response Bruce.. yeah Hurricanes.. i dunno whats worse!
    You sound like you are a busy guy
    Ok, so that schematic i have is for 7e2, the pdf U kindly supplied is 7b, but i assume still valid, but, being simply a feature list, is only part of the manual.
    The Oilmajor board should work then?
    I tried to & succeeded in joining the russian forum, but couldnt use it as they need a russian keyboard to search etc. Gurgle translate worked ok, except, if i said yes to cookies it deflected to another page something about a different "engine"

see https://translate.googleusercontent....S2AxA#comments

go to the last page, 15, in that thread, has the latest developed Interface bd, "Nikolai 67 shield 1.1"
    but i cant download the gerber files.
    I'll take your tip, There's no point persuing the TFT display,
    my 1602 with keypad works on ver 6c, (but thanks anyway for the ebay link)
    i tried to compile "Digital_Feed_7e2_ENG_Trans.ino"
    But got error message , line 680,
    'Spindle' was not declared in this scope , whatever that means!!
    i was wondering what the cartridge was! Cheers
    U will also see the term double Nutrients with respect to the powering of the shield.. its the supply feed, LOL.
    re " I tried to look at topic/11808 and that is not the correct topic.." its 118083, sorry! Oleg's "home" page for the whole deal.
    BTW i simply used the link to translate:
    http://itools.com/tool/google-translate-web-page-translator , no issues, apart from the cookies thing.
    i couldnt find that immediate notification on subscribed threads, maybe i need to subscribe.. some forums are easier to 'drive' than others.
    Thanks for all, & safe travels.

Hi Qtron,
    The PDF was made from the latest downloaded schematic so it will work for your version of board.Being that the schematic is the same, the board you have from Oil Major should work.

When you opened the files for the project in the Arduino IDE, did you see all of the tabs across the top? If so, make sure you have the latest version and Mega 2560 selected as your board. Then, from the Digital_Feed_7e2_ENG_Trans tab click compile and it should work and you should get this in the window in the bottom:

"Sketch uses 43112 bytes (16%) of program storage space. Maximum is 253952 bytes.
    Global variables use 2076 bytes (25%) of dynamic memory, leaving 6116 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 8192 bytes."

You can see mine in the attached PDF

In your previous PM you said:
    "Found how to translate again
    just found this from /118083 31/7/19 by Oleg:
    As forthe diameters and tolerances, we don’t jerk me, but I’ll give atip:
    GOST19257-73 Holes for cutting metric threads
    GOST19258-73 Rods for cutting metric threads
    what the??!!"

I couldn't find the message in the forum, could you send me the link to it?

What Oleg is talking about is where he got the information for the threads and tapers. GOST is the equivalent to ANSI, BSI, or Standards Australia and they keep the specification for different thread sizes etc for Russia.

The link you are using to translate the website is an intermediate to translate.google.com. You'd be better off just going straight to the google site instead.

sorry Bruce not sure where that was.. "we dont jerk me.. GOST" etc, on the forum, i have been thru heaps of translated pages & had been cut & pasting to create a document then i found your doc in the zipped files on page 1 of this thread.
    I saw your kindly supplied snapshot. i didnt have an issue with ver 6c being "poured into" the arduino at all.
    I am using the latest 1.8.10 IDE
    How do you get the IDE to collect all those files , as per the tabs shown? I can only load them individually by double clicking on them.

Hi Qtron,
    I just un-zipped the files into a single directory and then opened the file Digital_Feed_7e2. When I did that, the IDE opened all the files the way they showed in my previous screen-shot. Make sure you extract all of the files into a single folder.

Take Care,

Bruce

Hiya Bruce,
    I assume this controller is for the 7e2 version.
    do you know how to get these Russian desc. on the controller console translated.
    Being in a pic, the google translate doesn't work.

Hi Qtron,
    I just un-zipped the files into a single directory and then opened the file Digital_Feed_7e2. When I did that, the IDE opened all the files the way they showed in my previous screen-shot. Make sure you extract all of the files into a single folder.
    Take Care,
    Bruce
    All OK, Thanks Bruce, after relocating file from Downloads folder to other , the IDE seems to associate the minor files with the main one.
    that error ''Spindle was not declared in this scope" didnt re-occur.
    Prog'd ok, 43112 bytes of flash verified
    ,"Avrdude done" Whatever that is!
    but not seen this with 6C version. A ref led flashes quickly.see attached.

Hi Qtron,
    I am glad to hear that you got the sketch compiled. The RX line on the Arduino is flashing because it is receiving the program (sketch) so that is all good. I did a google search for "photo translate to English" and this site came up in the search:

https://translate.yandex.com/ocr so I pasted the picture in and it gave me the attached translations:

????????????? ?????? mode dial
    ??????, ?????? ? ?.?. Thread, Feed, etc.
    ?????? ??? ????????? Buttons for installation
    ?????????? parameters'
    ? ??????? ?????? in the current mode
    ????????????? ????????? Sub-Mode Switch
    ??????/???? Manual/Auto
    ?????? ? ?????????? Backlit buttons
    ??? ????????? ?????? to install the stops
    ???????? ? ??????? Joystick with button
    ????????????? ???????? Scale switch
    ??? ??????? ???????? for manual encoder
    ?????????? ???????? Variable resistor
    ?????? ???????? ?????? sets the feed rate