585,578 active members*
3,866 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > OpenSource CNC Design Center > Arduino > Russian Arduino Lead Screw Project??
Page 6 of 7 4567

Re: Russian Arduino Lead Screw Project??

Quote Originally Posted by bowcoastie View Post
    Hello Qtron,
    For some reason I stopped getting updates on this thread. I'll have to check it more often. Attached are the machine translated instructions as of 11 Jan 2020. I'll have some time next week to look at it.
    Bruce! Hi, so glad U still around! :wave:
    Thankyou sooo much for the user manual translation.
    i took note of "I recommend setting the parameter to 2-4,"

Could you please tell me what "Bonding to trimming" means?
    Also, Ahem.., i got a problem houston, The test setup on the workbench reveals that most of the settings are working afaik, although the exact method of setting the limits after initial power up is a bit mysterious to me. After some switch/joystick poking, i can set them,limit leds come on anyway.
    But main issue atm, is i can only get the steppers to run flat chat, regardless of pot setting, or Man mode.i double checked the Nicholai67 Adapter board (its nice, U can have one if U want it),
    to ensure the rapid pull-up is present, & the rapid switch is ok.
    Just now swapped out the Mega, for brand new one - No Difference (prog'd with no shield, used Arduino version IDE 1.8.10
    - I implemented that motor port address problem in the code, that U referred to some time back. (Hans- Dutch guy) THANKYOU!

So the motors are responding to the various axis selected. The MPG from Amazon (black one) works well both axis, both scales.
    Cone select menu works > one crosslide, X, direction. < cone, the reverse direction happens. Both motors seem to be running for a preset duration, X stops before Z. So all good there i thinks.(manual test mode).
    here is the ref, btw, to the joystick chosen for testing only: https://docs.rs-online.com/5b4c/0900766b8152c2e9.pdf
    This small animal has a rotary encoder built in as well! (may come in handy for other ideas).
    Also,
    Can U tell me what is "Pq & Ap" in settings?
    Also with the indexer & its multitudinous menu selection for angles, how is the spindle controlled to do the actual indexing?
    The accel /decel ramps are working too BTW.
    The pot does vary the speed settings on the display.. so must be close to working!

Hi Qtron,
    If you look at the videos in the links provided, it shows how each of the operations work. The "bonding to trimming" is what I would call grooving or plunge cutting.

As to the potentiometer setting for the speed, do you have the rapid button engaged? Also, check the resistance of the pot with a multi meter to make sure it is working and wired in properly.

For the "Pq & Ap" setting I'd have to look at the code this weekend but I think going through each of the videos in the operations manual and this post will explain it.

Regarding your spare board, I'd love to have it if you don't mind. PM me with paypal info so I can cover the postage.

All the Best,

Bruce

Here is are some videos for setting the limits on the older version but it should work the same: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaYlRH_Z5UE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGqLJbJFtBU

Thankyou for your time Bruce.
    The pot is fine, & hi quality type too. On screen speeds are selectable, & smoothly too.
    Double checked the rapid switch, all OK.
    Part of the problem was darn 5volt switch mode plug pack (wall wart for you guys).
    60 Volts at 10 kHz wrt earth on the output - leakage crap. (Most of these smps's do leak).
    Earthed it, now erratic behaviour gone, but still full speed, manual feed mode.
    Steppers do work at varying speeds for threads, according to encoder speed, and thread pitch.
    So still puzzled. Thankyou for vid links- will watch ASAP.
    Cheers,

Hi Qtron,
    I looked through the code and foud what the Pq & Ap mean:

"Ext Pq:%1d Ap:%1d.%02d", Pass_Total-Pass_Nr+1, Ap/100, Ap%100);
    }

Pq is the total number of passes that will be done for the operation. Ap is the amount of material to be removed per pass. When you are in any of the automatic modes, one sets the amount to be removed by the up and down buttons and the number of passes with the left and right buttons.

These can be easily modified to whatever would make more sense.

For our Russian speakers, what would be the word that is represented by Pq and Ap if I think they should be the number of passes and the amount to be removed?

Regards,

Bruce

I have built the earlier version 7c which works quite well and I am contemplating maybe building the updated version. Not sure about the joystick on the updated version as mine is a latched one with no button and I am wondering what is the function of the button on the joystick?

Quote Originally Posted by stroheim View Post
    I have built the earlier version 7c which works quite well and I am contemplating maybe building the updated version. Not sure about the joystick on the updated version as mine is a latched one with no button and I am wondering what is the function of the button on the joystick?
    Hiya Stroheim,
    as u know the joystick is used to set limits, and initiate the selected function. EG sphere, which is only a rough cut, is started by holding the joystick towards the X axis- front direction.
    a point to note, which I don't like, is once u stop the motion, which has to be held thru the entire cycle (my joystick used doesn't latch), u have to restart the whole cycle.
    latching isnt a good idea tho cos if something goes wrong your hand is away from.the controls.
    - an E stop needs to be implemented.
    The centre pushbutton is used to select Rapid. no joy with that so far on mine.
    I seem to have an issue with the Select function too, not doing anything atm.

I am interested in your version, do you have a clear pic of your setup with all controls plainly identified?
    cheers !

Good day Stroheim,
    There is no requirement for a button on the joystick in vs 7-2e. The joystick should be the latched type. If you happen to have a button on the joystick, many people make that the rapid button for convenience sake.

Regards,

Bruce

Good day everyone,
    Just in case anyone is interested, here is the link to the joystick model that they suggested in the chipmaker.ru thread:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2004528239.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dNcXm TV

Have a great weekend,

Bruce

Hi thanks that clears things up

Quote Originally Posted by qtronpowerson View Post
    Hiya Stroheim,
    as u know the joystick is used to set limits, and initiate the selected function. EG sphere, which is only a rough cut, is started by holding the joystick towards the X axis- front direction.
    a point to note, which I don't like, is once u stop the motion, which has to be held thru the entire cycle (my joystick used doesn't latch), u have to restart the whole cycle.
    latching isnt a good idea tho cos if something goes wrong your hand is away from.the controls.
    - an E stop needs to be implemented.
    The centre pushbutton is used to select Rapid. no joy with that so far on mine.
    I seem to have an issue with the Select function too, not doing anything atm.

I am interested in your version, do you have a clear pic of your setup with all controls plainly identified?
    cheers !
    Hi I used a Prototype screw shield which made things easier . The z axis is driven directly 1:1 on to the leadscrew (nema 23 ) and the crossslide x axis is also driven 1:1(nema17) the encoder runs at 1800 (3x600

Thanks so much Stroheim,
    So it looks like the 7c version has a joystick also..where did you obtain yours from?
    What are the button functions depicted?
    I fixed the Rapid thing - small joystick chosen (wrong choice) has button operational choice only when joystick centred. I put a separate button on my panel, but its more convenient if its on the joystick, esp if your other hand is ready to push the E-stop switch.
    Also, the Select does actually work, but only has one purpose, AFAIK, -> to select the 2nd displayed functions for the sphere settings.

Thanks so much Stroheim,
    So it looks like the 7c version has a joystick also..where did you obtain yours from?
    What are the button functions depicted?
    I fixed the Rapid thing - small joystick chosen (wrong choice) has button operational choice only when joystick centred. I put a separate button on my panel, but its more convenient if its on the joystick, esp if your other hand is ready to push the E-stop switch.
    Also, the Select does actually work, but only has one purpose, AFAIK, -> to select the 2nd displayed functions for the sphere settings.
    Hi please see picture on controls. The project was possible with the help of Richard Edwards

Thanks very much Leslie, - appreciate your efforts. Where are u based?

Thanks very much Leslie, - appreciate your efforts. Where are u based?
    Hi in UK/Wales/Porthcawl

Thanks , yeah I looked up the UK ebay Joystick, that versions not on Banggood, at least not in that desc.
    Its only 10 mm longer than this one which is non latching https://www.banggood.com/Joystick-Ma...r_warehouse=CN
    When yours latches, does it still spring back to centre or stay in the latched axis?
    Also have you had to use that reset button, top right of your panel?

Thanks , yeah I looked up the UK ebay Joystick, that versions not on Banggood, at least not in that desc.
    Its only 10 mm longer than this one which is non latching https://www.banggood.com/Joystick-Ma...r_warehouse=CN
    When yours latches, does it still spring back to centre or stay in the latched axis?
    Also have you had to use that reset button, top right of your panel?
    Hi ; the joystick stays in the chosen latched position and doesn't spring back. I haven't used the reset button so I wouldn't fit it as just turning off resets

Good day all, I want to share my progress on getting the RELS up and running.
    I mounted the motors on the lathe:

To allow the half-nut lever to clear I had to re-angle it by 30°.

I have also mounted the belt and a belt guard for the pulley's on the motor:

The belt guard was 3d printed and clears everything. I think it came out great.

I also added a lead screw cover that I 3d printed:

The steel block with the armored cable in the picture is my DRO scale for my cross slide. It reads from a adhesive backed magnetic tape that I put on the cross-slide. The magnetism is pretty week and the chips don't bother it but I have recently added a leather shield to protect it.

Sorry the pictures are rotated 90°. I haven't figured out how to fix that.

I hope this keeps you guys inspired ad your posts have kept me moving the project forward.

Very nice work, Bruce, have saved pics. will pm you
    U must be pleased at progress made.
    I esp like that idea of 3D printing LS cover. All looks like it belongs too

Really good work. I built the earlier version ok but I thought I would go with latest version and I have nearly finished but I am a little confused with the encoder both manual and rotary. I have a prototype development board and would ask is there any difference between Nicholai67 board and the standard prototype board and do I need to bridge as the pic shows. I enclose pics of the Rotary encoder and Manual encoder I have an the shield...many thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails encoder rotary.jpg   encoder rear.jpg   encoder.jpg  

Hello Stroheim,
    Unfortunately I don't know the answer. I think this is only talking about the spindle encoder. You would be better served by asking Nicholia directly on the chipmaker forum. if you get an answer, would you be so kind as to repost it here for the rest of us?

Regards,

Bowcoastie

Page 6 of 7 4567