585,575 active members*
4,096 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Tool length alarm question????

Hi guys,

I run a 18-i tb lathe. On a lathe I have noticed that it is easy to have a live radial tool length too long and it hits the way covers when the turret rotates. I am wondering if there is a way to set some kind of a max tool length in the control that will throw an alarm when it is tool long to save from hitting the covers and tripping the turret servo motor.

Has anyone ever heard of such a thing on a lathe???

I might be dreaming but I think it would be a good idea.

Something along the lines of the machine envelope safe areas.

thanks
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by theemudracer View Post
    Hi guys,

I run a 18-i tb lathe. On a lathe I have noticed that it is easy to have a live radial tool length too long and it hits the way covers when the turret rotates. I am wondering if there is a way to set some kind of a max tool length in the control that will throw an alarm when it is tool long to save from hitting the covers and tripping the turret servo motor.

Has anyone ever heard of such a thing on a lathe???

I might be dreaming but I think it would be a good idea.

Something along the lines of the machine envelope safe areas.

thanks
    Jon
    All that information is in the Operators Manual. There are sections in the back that give the Machine Dimensions and Stroke Limits. Also you might find a list that tells you the Maximum Tool Length for a Live Tool.

If you don't have any Manuals your going to have to get dirty. Send the Machine Home. Call a Live OD Tool. Put a piece of flexible plastic rod in a 3/8 Collet in the Machine. Rotate the turret to the station closest to the Way Cover. Then adjust it until your about 1/4 to 1/2 inch away from the way cover. Rotate the Turret again to make sure everything clears in every position. Then simply measure the Length of the Plastic Rod with a Dial Caliper.

It will most likely be around 1.875 inches from the tip of the rod to the Collet. Here is a Configuration I did for a Mazak SQT 200MSY.

Again there should be a Machine Drawing in the manuals that show you Max Tool Lengths for Live Tooling.

BTW if you have a CAD Software, I'll send you a DXF,DWG, or IGES File.

OK DXF is there now, sorry for the late reply

Cheers!!!!!!!:cheers:
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

.DXF please....

I will look today when I get to work.

thanks
    Jon

Smile

Jon,

Below is a how I check for the proper tool length offsets on our Daewoo lathes with 21it controls.
    (DRILL .201 HOLE)
    N0800IF[#2808GT3.875]THEN#3000=1(TOOL OFFSET TOO LONG)
    N0801IF[#2808LT3.835]THEN#3000=1(TOOL OFFSET TOO SHORT)
    N0802M92(PARTS CATCHER RETRACT)
    N0803M79(RETRACT TAILSTOCK)
    N0804G00G54G40T0808

The 2800 series system varaibles read the tool length offsets as they are defined in the tool offset pages. Variable #2801 reads length offset #1,#2802reads offset #2, #2803 **** #3, and so on. In the above format, if the arguments are not satisfied, then the control goes into an alarm state, all motion stops, and the message TOOL OFFSET TOO SHORT or TOOL OFFSET TOO LONG is displayed on the operators screen. This is accomplished by using the statement #3001=1( TOOL OFFSET TOO SHORT).
    In our lathes, the tool holder does not change, therefore it is a constant value. The only thing that changes is the tool length offset. By knowing this, I can be sure that the tool holder will not collide with the tailstock (max length) and be sure that the tool is long enough to drill to the depth required. Since I can be sure that the drill is long enough, I don't have to worry about tearing up collets or tool holders.
    I hope this helps.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    Jon,

Below is a how I check for the proper tool length offsets on our Daewoo lathes with 21it controls.
    (DRILL .201 HOLE)
    N0800IF[#2808GT3.875]THEN#3000=1(TOOL OFFSET TOO LONG)
    N0801IF[#2808LT3.835]THEN#3000=1(TOOL OFFSET TOO SHORT)
    N0802M92(PARTS CATCHER RETRACT)
    N0803M79(RETRACT TAILSTOCK)
    N0804G00G54G40T0808

The 2800 series system varaibles read the tool length offsets as they are defined in the tool offset pages. Variable #2801 reads length offset #1,#2802reads offset #2, #2803 **** #3, and so on. In the above format, if the arguments are not satisfied, then the control goes into an alarm state, all motion stops, and the message TOOL OFFSET TOO SHORT or TOOL OFFSET TOO LONG is displayed on the operators screen. This is accomplished by using the statement #3001=1( TOOL OFFSET TOO SHORT).
    In our lathes, the tool holder does not change, therefore it is a constant value. The only thing that changes is the tool length offset. By knowing this, I can be sure that the tool holder will not collide with the tailstock (max length) and be sure that the tool is long enough to drill to the depth required. Since I can be sure that the drill is long enough, I don't have to worry about tearing up collets or tool holders.
    I hope this helps.

Mike

Thanks for the reply. After setting up the live radial tools in the machine we touch them off of the tool setter in the machine. I guess I was looking for something that would alarm out when we touch the tool off and it was too long. (Before we rotated the turret around) I have the max length offset written down to compare too but you know what happens when you get in a hurry on a hot job and its 3:30 PM.

thanks for the info on the system variables. I could put that at the front of a Macro call that we use on every part I guess, but most generally we have already rotated the turret around manually and it would have already collided with the way covers. My machine is a Hyandai Kia SKT250MS. When rotating the turret manually it only rotates one way.

Thanks
    Jon

Make a subprogram that checks all the tool offsets for max X stick out as Boston said. After you touch off a tool Run the program from MDI.