585,712 active members*
3,819 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > Linear and Rotary Motion > How to match Timing pulleys and timing belt? (noob question)

How to match Timing pulleys and timing belt? (noob question)

Hi,
    I'm a college senior in electrical engineering. I have (I assume) a pretty basic question regarding the selection of timing pulleys and belt. I'm wondering what I need to consider when selecting. Is it just the pitch and width of the belt and pulley that I need to consider? For instance, 11mm width and 5mm pitch; if all parts had these, would they be able to be used together? Or is there more that I need to know about each part? I'm new to all of this I am going to be using the parts in conjunction with a stepper motor.
    Thanks!!

Re: How to match Timing pulleys and timing belt? (noob question)

Gates has some excellent "how-to's" on their site. I think there is even a calculator for center distance with each of the pulleys and belt. If you are using the same pitch pulleys and belts they will work. You can get two different size pulleys for a speed increase/decrease.

You need to know your estimated torque and number of teeth on the belt and on each pulley. Then you can calculate your center distance.

PowerGrip

Re: How to match Timing pulleys and timing belt? (noob question)

Quote Originally Posted by cdesantis01 View Post
    Hi,
    I'm a college senior in electrical engineering. I have (I assume) a pretty basic question regarding the selection of timing pulleys and belt. I'm wondering what I need to consider when selecting. Is it just the pitch and width of the belt and pulley that I need to consider? For instance, 11mm width and 5mm pitch; if all parts had these, would they be able to be used together? Or is there more that I need to know about each part? I'm new to all of this I am going to be using the parts in conjunction with a stepper motor.
    Thanks!!
    Yes you are on the right track, different Belt Pulley profiles for different uses, if you want high accuracy, then you would be looking at the Gates GT2-5 series Belts Pulleys , GT2 is the series the 5 is 5mm pitch, belt width your choice 9mm 15mm 25mm

You will also see Gates GT3 also, which is the same profile, make sure you by American made as there are a lot of Chinese copies of the GT series which are poorly made, and don't match the correct profile
    Mactec54