585,752 active members*
4,134 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Average ouput per CNC programmer/machinist

Hello all. I've been searching high and low to find some information about the average output (in dollars) that machinists produce in the USA. I'm hoping to use this information to better my position within my current company. Thus far, I've come up completely dry.

An example of what I'm looking for: My shop produces around $3M per year, gross. There are only 4 workers responsible for this output. That means that each of us are responsible for around $750,000 per year gross output. How does that compare with the industry average? Is that high or low? Does anyone know of any formal research done on the subject?

By my calculations that is 375/hr for a 40 hour week. I think you can do the math.

Woww, $3M with only 4 worker? If that number is the right number then I said it's extreme and I mean extreme good.
    The best way to learn is trial error.

Quote Originally Posted by cedarpeaks View Post
    By my calculations that is 375/hr for a 40 hour week. I think you can do the math.
    Our current crew is two programmers and two operators, one each on a day and swing shift. I'm just hoping to see how this compares with other shops and gross revenues. I honestly have no idea if this is an output that is higher or lower than an average across the board.

From the first two responses, it seems like we're doing quite well. Any other thoughts?

What kind of machining and operations/parts do you do? Is cnc machining all that you do? In house and/or installations?

Quote Originally Posted by universalfab View Post
    What kind of machining and operations/parts do you do? Is cnc machining all that you do? In house and/or installations?
    We do composite aerospace parts. Most of what we do is a finished product, ready to ship from the CNC area. Yes, machining is all we do. No installations.

If are a member of the NTMA or other trade group that information is usually gathered from there members and made available to other members. The information is very detailed and broken down several ways and for several industries. NTMA stuff was some of the best I've seen worth it just to be a member for that alone.
    Mark Reynaert, President Mark Mold and Engineering [email protected] http://markmold.com

Quote Originally Posted by CNCStrategist View Post
    We do composite aerospace parts. Most of what we do is a finished product, ready to ship from the CNC area.
    That's is what I called "Nice, gravy job". If I have enough money I will love to steal your production.

all it is is a number... it is not profit.
    most likely a heafty amount is insurance premiums for this kind of work... plus cadcam system and the cnc machines capable of doing this kind of work.
    materials is another part of the job not calc'd in the final outcome... and of course labour....ect

a shop can get more $/hr for a one-off than a production run of 1000. the only bonus for the 1000 part run, the machine is set-up for a longer period of time so the 'button pusher' can do their job...

he wants to 'better his position in the current company'... looking for a raise? bonus? not sure what, but employees must realize all the hidden costs and be happy they are 'employeed'... hopefully at a job they like.

hopefully your employer is not a member of this forum :wave:

i do hope you are getting a fair and reasonable wage with reasonable benefits, but whatever the company pulls in is not your concern (in my opinion) and can ruin a working relationship fast... if you want that kind of money, go into business for yourself and give it a try... then you might understand what i am talking about.

non of this is intended to be insulting or demeaning... it is some of what i have learned/seen in the past 30yrs, an insight and maybe something to consider.

good luck

Philip

Quote Originally Posted by a1cadcam View Post
    all it is is a number... it is not profit.
    most likely a heafty amount is insurance premiums for this kind of work... plus cadcam system and the cnc machines capable of doing this kind of work.
    materials is another part of the job not calc'd in the final outcome... and of course labour....ect

i do hope you are getting a fair and reasonable wage with reasonable benefits, but whatever the company pulls in is not your concern (in my opinion) and can ruin a working relationship fast... if you want that kind of money, go into business for yourself and give it a try... then you might understand what i am talking about.

non of this is intended to be insulting or demeaning... it is some of what i have learned/seen in the past 30yrs, an insight and maybe something to consider.

good luck

Philip
    Base on the number he gave it's very good, even all the factor you said, and can afford 5%(up to 8%) scrap rate.

yes, his numbers are hard to believe...