I ordered and am waiting for the machine to arrive. In the mean time I've been preparing my control software. I've decided to try UCCNC as an alternative to Mach 3.

It was also mentioned here - http://www.cnczone.com/forums/fineli...cnc-forum.html. Ger21 mentioned the UC400ETH probably will not work. I have to agree since both its ports are configured as standard LPT ports. The plug and play electronics use pins 2-9 as inputs.

The following is what I've came up with.

Ports/Pins

The UC300ETH appears it will work by switching Port1->Port3 and Port2->Port4 (ESS->UC300ETH-5LPT respectively). I choose ports 3 and 4 on the UC300ETH to avoid any confusion in the UCCNC software (ie - one should not see port 1 or 2 used anywhere when configuring UCCNC). The UCCNC software is smart about what is allowed for inputs and outputs on each port for the your selected motion control board. I was able to fully configure UCCNC to match the Mach 3 setup.

There is only a few things I'm unsure of concerning the CRP XML file settings:

1. Enable 1 is listed in Mach as Port 1 / Pin 1 but disabled - not sure if it has a function or is just randomly in the CRP XML

2. I'll be using a router on relay 1 - the setup has 'PWM spindle' enabled. Can Mach 3/UCCNC drive a router with PWM or does it just stay at 100% duty cycle? Is it just open loop and get calibrated? I know the SuperPID uses a closed loop system to control router speed with PWM and an optical sensor.

3. I'm not sure what C- is used for. It is disabled in motor outputs, but enabled as a limit switch input.

4. If Aux 2 is not connected to the Port/Pin configured for C-, I'm not sure which Port/Pin it is connected to.

5. Axis B is defined as the Y-slave. Its home limit switch is located at the front of the machine, or B- position. In the settings it is only configured as B Home. Should it also be a limit switch? Guess that assumes the gantry can't get so far out of square the B- limit would hit before Y-??

6. There is a motor enable/disable switch on the plug and play controller - I'm not sure if it is controlled by the software or just a hardware switch.

Unless I'm missing something, it appears UCCNC with UC300ETH should work as a replacement in the CRP plug and play electronics. I plan to try it but want to double check here first.

JP