586,024 active members*
4,064 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Is it bad for chucks and collets to hold drills and endmills on the flutes?

Is it bad for chucks and collets to hold drills and endmills on the flutes?

Not too sure about this, but is it supposed to be ok to choke up an endmill or drill bit into the flutes so that you have more rigidity? Or is this always bad for the collet or chuck?

Re: Is it bad for chucks and collets to hold drills and endmills on the flutes?

My guess is that holding a drill bit by the flutes is not a good idea. It would not hold the bit accurately/reliably and it probably would mangle the collet.

I will choke up, but am still clamping on an appreciable length of the shank. Some end mills are double end so the flutes are going to up in the collet anyway. I still try to get the bulk of the clamping surface on the solid shank, but will choke up and stick out some as needed. Maybe around 1/3 max over the flutes. And I would not be doing it for rigidity as this will be a less rigid setup.

The cutting surface on a carbide end mill is always smaller then the shaft so wont touch the collet. This is not always true for HSS. 1/3" for carbide should be OK .
    youtube videos of the G0704 under the name arizonavideo99

I do it all the time on drills.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Apparently nobody has heard about stub drills.

I personally never put the cutting edge up inside the collet. Can it work? Sure, but I see absolutely no reason to do so.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk