585,578 active members*
3,801 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Hobby Projects > Hobby Discussion > Brand new member excited to get started!

Brand new member excited to get started!

I've been wanting to get a mill for a long time, I found a 2hp Harbor Freight 33686 (the green one) in basically new condition for $400.00. Guy bought it and literally never cut or drilled a single thing with it. He gave me a few end mills with it as well. I plan on converting it to an arduino based CNC machine soon, tearing through all the wiki's and how-to's now. The conversion itself doesn't look too bad, but since I've never even seen a CNC machine before I have no idea how to get designs into the machine. I get that there is g-code and stuff, I'll dive into that once I actually get the steppers and everything ready to go.

Just wanted to say hi and I look forward to chatting with you all as the projects progress! I think my first project will be to cut a case for my arduino out of plastic, should be a nice first project I think!

Re: Brand new member excited to get started!

I make a lot of digital files for cnc but most people who have Arduino do cutting vectors. Here's a site that has an online cad cam solution; www.invetables.com

Quote Originally Posted by waygeekierthanu View Post
    I've been wanting to get a mill for a long time, I found a 2hp Harbor Freight 33686 (the green one) in basically new condition for $400.00. Guy bought it and literally never cut or drilled a single thing with it. He gave me a few end mills with it as well. I plan on converting it to an arduino based CNC machine soon, tearing through all the wiki's and how-to's now. The conversion itself doesn't look too bad, but since I've never even seen a CNC machine before I have no idea how to get designs into the machine. I get that there is g-code and stuff, I'll dive into that once I actually get the steppers and everything ready to go.

Just wanted to say hi and I look forward to chatting with you all as the projects progress! I think my first project will be to cut a case for my arduino out of plastic, should be a nice first project I think!
    Artistic 3D Relief Work for CNC http://www.cncproductionwork.com

Are arduinos not good enough for circles and things?

To get designs into a machine you can use the Eesel online program. Here's a link.

There's ways to get any kind of code to run on the arduinos.
    Artistic 3D Relief Work for CNC http://www.cncproductionwork.com