585,759 active members*
3,953 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Thinking of restarting my pendant project for PathPilot

Thinking of restarting my pendant project for PathPilot

Posting this to get a quick temperature read on interest level.

So, about 6 years ago I built an Arduino-based pendant for LinuxCNC (video attached below). At the time I used it with an X2 build, and swapped it right over to my 1100 (running LinuxCNC) when I bought that two years later. I've never really finished the pendant as I originally intended, but all the features I implemented have worked fine.

Since then, I've done a ton of more sophisticated MCU work, and the hardware has come a very long way, and since Tormach has switched to a LinuxCNC-based control, I'm thinking of redesigning the pendant around a newer microcontroller, better graphical display, and configured natively for PathPilot.

My original pendant design (seen below) used an Arduino Uno with a good old 20x4 LCD display, a high-quality optoelectronic encoder, and a sort-of membrane 25-key keypad using tactile switches and weather stripping. The LCD implemented a DRO and spindle speed readout, and the encoder provided an MPG with selectable steps per click, and the keypad gave continuous feeds in the X and Y axis plus Run/Stop/Pause and a few other bits. I intended to implement a bunch of other capabilities but once I got the basics working it was so useful I got busy with other projects.

Anyway, I'm thinking of revisiting this now that my electronic design and embedded software skills are a lot better. Here's what I'm thinking:

- MCU: Teensy 3.5
    - Display: ILI9341 320x240 RGB touchscreen
    - Encoder: Something like this: Grayhill joystick/encoder/switch

Functionality-wise, I'm thinking the usual MPG/feed functions, with a DRO, plus the ability to set and adjust spindle speeds, coolant on/off, FRO, SRO, and start/stop/pause/single-block programs. I'd also like to implement a drill mode since drilling holes is one of the main things I often find myself doing manually using MDI, plus maybe a touch-off function to support using an edge finder.

My intention would be I think to go the open source/kit route since I think the volumes here will be limited, and that gives the option for most bang for buck, and the least liability for me. The assembly would be pretty basic through-hole soldering. In quantity one, parts cost for the above plus miscellaneous bits and an enclosure would probably be about $120. Software would all be Arduino-based, so super easy for people to pick up and modify and maintain even if I stopped caring.

Like I said, I might do this just for my own amusement, but curious how many others out there think they might find utility in something like it.

Re: Thinking of restarting my pendant project for PathPilot

I would be interested in the open source route being that my background is embedded processor design.... I still enjoy building and tweaking things that are used in the shop. Have you looked at the MSP430 line of processors (launchpad demo boards) with the easy to use Energia tools, very inexpensive?

Robert

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/tormac...pathpilot.html

Just FYI to see what others are doing
    The Body Armor Dude - Andrew

I'd be interested. Hopefully any pathpilot config changes would be easy to install with a script or something.
    "You can't teach stuff in a school that you would learn in real life unless the real life people are in charge of the school." - Gene Sherman

Is there a commercial pendant available for linux available? I'm thinking of changing my RF 45 ffrom mach to linux and not having a pendant available would be a big turn off for me. I use mine all of the time. And forgive me guys, I'm assuming that a pendant that works for linus would also work for pp since I've read it is the same platform!
    Bill
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

There is a thread in pathpilot sub forum about pendant development, he has it working, but I am not sure when it will come to market, he had a slider controller for the max velocity, spindle speed, and feedrate, I own one of these and really like it.

the pendant he has is operating, he is just hung up a bit with the packaging and final design and I think real work is getting in the way at present.

adaptedcnc.com is his website.

edit: Custom pendant for Pathpilot

mike sr

Hello Sansbury i bought some of your pcb s Long Time ago and use your design in one of my machines i just Had to Change litte interupt thing to have it Running i thing this would be Great idea and the People Love it maybe the Python needs more errorhandling i Can help testing ,..

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    There is a thread in pathpilot sub forum about pendant development, he has it working, but I am not sure when it will come to market, he had a slider controller for the max velocity, spindle speed, and feedrate, I own one of these and really like it.

the pendant he has is operating, he is just hung up a bit with the packaging and final design and I think real work is getting in the way at present.

adaptedcnc.com is his website.

edit: Custom pendant for Pathpilot
    Yea I've been busy, and had a good lull there at new year to get the 3 button control done. I still have the project going, but some of the other projects I am looking into may affect the outcome of the final design.

link: [URL="http://www.cnczone.com/forums/tormach-personal-cnc-mill/329932-cnc.html"]

Thanks,
    Pete

Thanks guys. I think I'm going to move forward with this, as it would be useful even if just for myself

@RTP_Burnsville: The MSP430 is a nice unit, but the community around Arduino is much larger and more accessible to the non-professional engineer. As a big part of the goal is to make hacking/customization easy, I want to use a platform that's easy for anyone to work with.

@TKamsker: Glad to hear that my earlier work was useful for you! This past weekend I dug up all of the source code for the Arduino and python module for the original pendant. With the hardware we have today I think the possibilities are great!

@bill south: In principle yes, PP and LinuxCNC are the same engine under the hood. I don't have a PathPilot controller yet, so I don't know the exact differences that may or may not matter, but I would expect that at a minimum, the same pendant hardware could support both with slightly different software configuration. If I understand @petenc's pendant correctly, his design definitely works with either without any software changes.

@petenc: The quill emulator is a neat idea, I think we are looking at a lot of the same possibilities here. The big difference I see in our approaches is that (I think?) I saw that you're working entirely off the keyboard-based commands, while I created a userspace HAL module to talk to. The keyboard-based approach is definitely great for pure plug-and-play simplicity. Interfacing to HAL opens some additional possibilities but will require a bit more work to initially set up so I could see preferences for both approaches among users. Good luck and feel free to PM me here if you're ever inclined :cheers:

Following. I am interested in purchasing and/or contributing.

As an Inveterate tinkerer I like to do my own thing rather than the rational thing and simply purchase a commercial product. As a retired computer geek I'm delighted to exchange ideas and insights regarding how to interface to LinuxCNC/PathPilot.

I have also pathpilot under Test and i Can Tell you (knowing your old design) it will work without a Change except the control for the spindle Speed

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sansbury View Post
    @petenc: The quill emulator is a neat idea, I think we are looking at a lot of the same possibilities here. The big difference I see in our approaches is that (I think?) I saw that you're working entirely off the keyboard-based commands, while I created a userspace HAL module to talk to. The keyboard-based approach is definitely great for pure plug-and-play simplicity. Interfacing to HAL opens some additional possibilities but will require a bit more work to initially set up so I could see preferences for both approaches among users. Good luck and feel free to PM me here if you're ever inclined :cheers:
    Thanks, yea, it seems there are several ways to interface and they all have there pros and cons. HID is slow, unidirectional, but it allowed me to get going quick. The quill emulator is not HID (or keyboard-based) as it takes feedback and adjustment, and will especially once I get the rigid tapping stuff in there. Enumeration is a challenge (for many reasons) which fortunately HID takes care of out of the gate, and having multiple devices all working together becomes the challenge. The pendant I am working on will probably be combination of both in the end, as I want the simplicity of a keyboard emulator for some things, like turning on/off coolant, but the responsiveness to proportionally drive axis' with a pot or encoder. A user on the forum, I won't mention his name, jump started the development now that he actually ordered a pendant, and I've commited to a delivery in a 2-3 weeks. We've had a couple design reviews, and everything is looking good... so be on the lookout. My plan, I haven't told him yet, is to outfit the pendant with all the hardware to do everything I dream of, and Ill have him flash the firmware on the chip and patch PP as I develop the smarts. Btw... Ill collaborate with anybody.

Pete

Pete

Would be keen to get a pendant, that worked under PP.

Can't offer any skils in the electronic design side of things but when you get design underway, if i have some time would be happy to have a crack at a public enclosure design.

Cheers,
    .adrian

@sansbury I posted an update on the pendant I am developing for Pathpilot... still a work in a progress as I get the time.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/tormac...pathpilot.html

Pete