585,605 active members*
3,349 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

wiring without Breakout Board

I have a router that went out on me a 6 months back. I wired it 12 years ago and when I have gotten around to working on it again I decided to use a breakout board instead of direct wiring to the 25 pin connector. I got a cheap chinese breakout board and found it doesnt work. I hastily cut the wires off the 25 pin connector and now I cant remember how to wire the homes and limits. I have 3 three wire proximity switches, one for each axis used as home and limit. I have them wired to a 24 volt supply normally closed. When tripped it operates a relay that sends the signal to the proper pins. I am using mach3, I cant remember if I am sending a 5 volt signal to the pin. Can someone help me with a 1st grade mentality explanation of what I need to do. Even a diagram of the whole setup would be great.
    Thanks,
    Tony P

Re: wiring without Breakout Board

what type of N/C proximity switches do you have open collector NPN or open collector PNP ??
    a web search for the part number should find the data sheet

if they have NPN outputs then you can connect all the positive supply terminals to +24V

the negative supply to the first switch and its output to the sucond switches negative supply terminal

then the output of the second switch to the negative supply terminal on the third switch

the relay coil between the positive supply and the third switches output
    add a diode across the coil with its cathode to the positive supply

connect the relay common to the printer port ground and the normally open contact to the printer port input you decide to use

if you have used pi 10 as your E-stop to your PC you can use any of these four pins -- 11 , 12 , 13 or 15

John

I have the relay working when the limit is tripped. I just dont know what signal to send to the pins 11,12,13 or 15, Is one of these 5v and where does it go. the prox switches dont have a part number but are three wire blue brown and black.

you just need to connect the relay contacts between the printer port ground and the input you have chosen

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	proximity switches & relay.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	68.3 KB 
ID:	350546

john

IS THE INPUT TO PINS 10,11, 12, 13 AND 15 0 VOLT OR 5 VOLT.

the printer port inputs have a weak pull up to +5v on old PC printer ports ( on new PC's the input has a weak pull up to 3.3V)

when short circuited to ground a current of about 1.6 mA (0.0016A) will flow and Mach 3 (or4) will see a logic 0

when open circuit the input will be just under 5V and Mach 3 will see a logic 1

the ground pins 18 to 25 is 0V and on a desktop PC is connected to the mains supply earth via the power supply

John

remember i am a 1st grader. does that mean that i am putting 5volt into the 11,12,13,15 pins from the relay that the switch tripped?

just think of your relay contacts being like a simple on / off switch connected between the printer ports input pin and a ground pin

John

That I get. I told you first grade language. Sorry for being such a pain in the but and thank you
    tony

Hi Tony

glad we got there in the end

sometimes I can forget not all members are on the same page when it comes to electronics

John