584,871 active members*
5,171 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Hitachi Seikis > ~1985 Hitachi Seiki VA-55 II - To buy or not to buy?

~1985 Hitachi Seiki VA-55 II - To buy or not to buy?

Yesterday I went to take a look at a Hitachi Seiki VA-55 II VMC. The craigslist ad listed a $2000 offer price which seemed way too low for a VMC so I had to take a look even though I'm not ready for a VMC at the moment. Before I left I did a little research on the machine and the specs are as follows:

X Travel: 41"
    Y Travel: 22"
    Z Travel: 22"
    Table Size: 60" x 20"
    Box Ways
    15HP Spindle
    5000 RPM
    CAT 50 Taper
    30 Tool ATC
    Functioning 4th Axis (Don't have much information but it appears to be extremely heavy duty)
    Machine Height: 11'
    Width: 12'6"
    Depth: 15'
    Weight: 20,000lbs

Not having a lot of experience working this large mills, in person this thing is huge! Way too large for any homegamer unless you happen to have a 15' x 15' door and concrete floor capable of holding a 10 ton machine. That said I couldn't help but think this machine was a crazy bargain at $2000. I left the guy's shop wondering how I could make it work. After mulling it over I forlornly decided that I just don't have the time to deal with the machine, although I'm pretty confident a nice profit could be made with a bit of work. At the very least one could discard everything on the machine make a custom VMC with more rigidity than pretty much anything.

I'm sure this will be someone's hidden gem, but I unfortunately have to pass on it. I'd be interested in hearing what you guys think of the machine and it's worth.

Re: ~1985 Hitachi Seiki VA-55 II - To buy or not to buy?

2K for that (assuming it is all working ) is a great deal - especially with the added 4th axis. Definitely a hidden gem - only hold being that it is a little older - but these series are heavy duty and could really rough through material. If they find someone who prefers this style and brand it would be a easy sell Easily worth 2k - and seeing its craiglist if its local that is even better for the rigging costs. If it were in the CT area I might even be interested!

I couldn't resist checking into the machine a bit more. Turns out it will fit through a 10' x 10' door which makes it much easier to find space. Though I only found commercial/industrial space with doors large enough to shoehorn the machine through. I had thought I could put the machine in storage until I had the time to work on it, but after calling a dozen or so storage facilities I couldn't find a single unit with doors large enough for the machine.

I looked into how much the individual parts on the machine might be worth, although from what I found on ebay, the parts aren't worth very much. Even the 15 hp spindle/motor probably wouldn't go for more than a couple hundred. Selling pretty much anything on the machine would require freight shipping, which also makes parting the thing out a bit less attractive. Not to mention everything is huge and would require hoists or a forklift to disassemble and move.

Rigging locally would certainly be less expensive than across country, although even local rigging would probably cost $1500 - $2000. I spoke with one rigger who would be perfect for machines up to 5 tons (his price would be around $500 to $600 for a 10 mile move), but 10 tons is way over what his equipment could handle.

I still think it would be a cool project to rebuild the machine assuming it needs to be rebuilt. You would think 30 years of use and little to no maintenance has to have worn the ways far from flat and square. A completely rebuilt machine converted over to modern controls would be pretty sweet. Though learning to scrape and everything else needed to rebuild it would require a this-old-tony level of skill, knowledge, and determination. Maybe when I finish all of my existing projects, have too much time on my hands, and a lot of extra cash I'll look for another deal like this one

The machine is located in Oceanside, CA if anyone is interested. Could be an amazing find for someone in the right situation.

I just ran across this machine on Craigslist and sent the seller a list of questions. I would love this machine but not sure if I have enough power to run it. I assume it needs somewhere close to 100 amps. Where you able to see the machine running?

Matt
    Long Beach, CA

I was able to see it run although I didn't verify it had full travel of all axes. It's currently under power so it shouldn't be too much to ask for a demonstration. The machine will require 3 phase power. I wouldn't think it would require 100 amps at 240v but I guess it's possible with everything it has to run. In addition to the spindle and X, Y, & Z axes, it has a pretty big motor to run a hydraulic pump (I was told for tool changes and clamping) as well as motors for coolant, tool carousel, and the 4th axis. Though, not everything will be on at the same time. It doesn't sound like they have any documentation or manuals for the machine so you might need to track that type of info down from someone with a similar machine.

A final couple updates...

I received a quote from another rigger who has the machinery capable for moving the mill. They quoted $475/hour with a 4 hour minimum. If wide load, an extra $100 for the permit. So a short move would probably cost around $2000.

The seller emailed me with an updated size for the machine. They said it was around 9' deep and around 11' feet wide. The shop has a door that is 130" high, so the mill must be able to fit through that opening. The Z motor will probably need to be unbolted and laid down to fit through a 10' door.

If anyone buys the machine I'd be interested to hear about your plans for the machine and how it works out.

Hello everyone, I have a machine with control Fanuc, when I run the axes x + y together then there is vibration axis, if I run every axis separately no vibration, someone has a solution for this?