585,578 active members*
4,094 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Machined thread converter

Hybrid View

Question Machined thread converter

Hi,

I am trying to adapt one small chuck from one lathe to another and for that I would need a thread converter/adapter. Do you know where I could buy one or maybe order one to be machined?

Any of these would work:

M16x1.0 Female to 3/4”x16 Male (this one would be best)

or

M16x1.0 Female to M14x1.0 Male

or

M16x1.0 Female to M12x1.0 Male

Please help

Machined thread converter

I doubt that thread conventer will be the right approach.
    If it would be me, I would want to replace the back plate of the chuck you are adopting.
    There is a good chance that the chuck has a mounting plate.
    But keep in mind threads are only holding it to the spindle, but a taper is what makes it run true and concentric. Have you checked if the new chuck and your lathe spindle nose has the same registering geometry. They should much. That's why making a mounting plate is a right way to go about it.
    Youtube "back plate for late" or something of this sort.
    You will know how its done and since you have the lathe, you can do it yourself. Or at least have a better idea if what you want going to work.

For future reference.
    Try to post the pictures so there will be less guessing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Machined thread converter

Quote Originally Posted by brfgmike View Post
    I doubt that thread conventer will be the right approach.
    If it would be me, I would want to replace the back plate of the chuck you are adopting.
    There is a good chance that the chuck has a mounting plate.
    But keep in mind threads are only holding it to the spindle, but a taper is what makes it run true and concentric. Have you checked if the new chuck and your lathe spindle nose has the same registering geometry. They should much. That's why making a mounting plate is a right way to go about it.
    Youtube "back plate for late" or something of this sort.
    You will know how its done and since you have the lathe, you can do it yourself. Or at least have a better idea if what you want going to work.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks Brfgmike,

I wasn’t sure I should go over the whole story for a simple thing like this, but maybe you are right - I should provide more information. So here it is:

I have 2 tiny lathes:

One is for wood: PROXXON - DB 250
    I love that thing. It looks plasticy but it actually very stable and quiet.

The other for metal: 4000A/4100A Lathe Package A - Sherline Products
    It is a very good quality machine, but this particular model cannot do threads without upgrades. Otherwise I would have machined the convertor myself.

I work on very small parts (rings) that need to be held from the inside (by opening the chuck jaws). The great thing about Sherline system is that allows custom jaws to be machined and mounted with screws to their standard chucks: 1141-1149 Interchangeable Chuck Top Jaws - Sherline Products

What I want is to be able to use these custom chucks on the wood lathe. Of course I can turn wood on the metal lathe but I am afraid this is going to ruin it… The only Sherline chuck that could fit my wood lathe is 2.5”: 1041 3-Jaw Self-Centering Chuck (2.5") - Sherline Products

This model dos not have a mounting plate - it screws directly on the spindle and it is too heavy to be attached with a collet to the Proxxon lathe. I’ve tried this with no success: 2090-2093 Collet-to-Thread Chuck Adapters - Sherline Products

So it seams the only possible solution is a thread converter. It is a relatively simple thing to make and I was hoping that someone with the right machine can help me with this.