585,667 active members*
3,940 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 13 of 23 31112131415

Re: Hurco BMC20 Dynomotion Retrofit

My VFD has the 0-10V option also. I might end up going that route.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mmurray70 View Post

Im controlling my spindle VFD with the analog outputs from kanalog. One relay driver output turns the spindle on clockwise, another turns the spindle on CCW and the analog out 0-10v sets the speed. Fairly simple in my case. ....
    Can you share the c code you are using for M3,M4,M5 and S?
    Troy

The files im using are likely more complicated then you need as I have high/low range and I have things setup so I can override speed while orientating. But I attached my files anyway so you can take a look. You might see something there thats a help. My S program doesnt actually set the DAC value, it just sets user.persist variables and my init file forever loop sets the proper DAC value based on whether the machine is in high range or low range or currently orientating or whatever.

Dont be alarmed if it seems complex. All you really need to get rolling is to have M3 and M4 to set a bit, and M5 to clear it. And the S program to simply set a DAC to a value that provides the right rpm, I made a simple one range version of my spindle program as an example. Im assuming your machine is just one range right?

Yes, just one range and belt driven with a 2:1 ratio. Thanks for the examples, this will help me to understand it a little more. As i didnt know how the S c code works. This will give me something to work on this weekend.

Thanks,
    Troy

Quote Originally Posted by mmurray70 View Post
    .... I made a simple one range version of my spindle program as an example....
    Looking at the Spindle one range.c program, how is the correct DAC defined? I am using DAC7. Tested it in Kmotion.exe with Console sending a command as such DAC7 = -125. And spindle will run after i set CW or CCW. If i use KmotionCNC and do a MDI of M03 S100 the bit for CW turns on but spindle does not rotate and Kmotion.exe Console says Spindle set to 0.00000. Also when looking at the DACs on AnalogStatus screen there is no output.
    In KmotionCNC>ToolSetup> M0-M30 tab i set S to Execute program /Thread 3/ VAR 0/ C file SpindleOneRange. My M3,M4 and M5 C programs also run in Thread 3.

What am i missing?

Thanks,
    Troy

Quote Originally Posted by Need TECH Help! View Post
    Looking at the Spindle one range.c program, how is the correct DAC defined? I am using DAC7. Tested it in Kmotion.exe with Console sending a command as such DAC7 = -125. And spindle will run after i set CW or CCW. If i use KmotionCNC and do a MDI of M03 S100 the bit for CW turns on but spindle does not rotate and Kmotion.exe Console says Spindle set to 0.00000. Also when looking at the DACs on AnalogStatus screen there is no output.
    In KmotionCNC>ToolSetup> M0-M30 tab i set S to Execute program /Thread 3/ VAR 0/ C file SpindleOneRange. My M3,M4 and M5 C programs also run in Thread 3.

What am i missing?

Thanks,
    Troy
    Instead of Execute program /Thread 3/ VAR 0/ C file SpindleOneRange, use VAR 9 as the C program is using persist.userdata[9] and they need to match. And the last line of program is DAC(3,speed); change this to DAC(7,speed);

Ok. At least i was assuming correctly that the DAC(3,speed); was the DAC output. Got everything working now. Had to alter how the M5 code worked as this VFD has 2 ways of stoping. One is using another input for stop and the other uses both CW and CCW input at same time to stop. I choose the 2nd option.
    Also adjusted the S c code to have correct output of DAC voltage to get correct RPM.

Now iam looking at feedback options. So there will be the ability to display actual RPM in KMotionCNC, Rigid Tapping and Spindle Positioning if possible.

The VFD has a encoder output that is differential RS422 level.

And there is the option to output an 0-10V analog signal that can be 26 different types, here is the most obvious to me to use....
    2:Output Voltage
    4: Output Current
    5:Output Power
    6: Motor Speed
    26: PG Feedback

Would be nice to use the encoder output but i only have 1 Differential input left on Kanalog, that i was saving for a 4th axis.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Troy
    Attached Files Attached Files

So when you use step/dir you loose half the differential inputs or something do you? I think your going to need encoder input for the spindle for tapping. Maybe you could setup a 4th axis as step/dir and leave it open loop. If you use another dmm drive or similar you should be able to run open loop step/dir and let the drive fault after a certain following error. Id probably be happen enough with that for a 4th axis. And this would free up a differential input for encoder.

Ya, iam using the KFLOP JP5 connector for the Step/Dir which disables Kanalog Diff Encoder Input JP2. You are probably right about having 4th axis loop closed at drive only, being accurate enough. By the time i get to another axis i might find another option for AC drives that will handle Analog input better or find out what is up with the DMM analog option.
    The other thing about the Spindle encoder is the RS422 level output. Specs on the RS422 iam finding is −6V to +6V (maximum differential Voltage). How could/should this be handled when connecting to Kanalog Diff Encoder Inputs?

Troy

There may be ways to make it work, but i think i would probably just toss it and install a normal differential encoder.

Tom,
    If my spindle encoder outputs a differential signal with RS422 voltage levels, would a resistor be sufficient to connect to Kanlogs Diff Inputs?
    Thanks,
    Troy

Hi Troy,

You may connect RS422 differential signals directly to Kanalog differential inputs. You do have A+ A- B+ B- signals correct?

Regards
    TK
    TK
    http://dynomotion.com

Quote Originally Posted by TomKerekes View Post
    Hi Troy,

You may connect RS422 differential signals directly to Kanalog differential inputs. You do have A+ A- B+ B- signals correct?

Regards
    TK
    Great, i was thinking for some reason it could not be more than 5Volts. Yup, A+,A-,B+B- also Z index. Which reminds me, can the Z index of my encoders be connected to Kanalog JP12 with a resistor or the Konnect?

Thanks,
    Troy

Hi Troy,

can the Z index of my encoders be connected to Kanalog JP12 with a resistor?
    You should probably check the voltage levels first. I'm guessing this is a standard line driver where the signals switch from about 0.4V to about 3.5V. Even though the RS422 specs might permits voltages from -6V to +6V due to noise, ground offsets, etc... If you have a Z+ and Z- then one should be at one level and the other at the other level (most likely Z+ will be always low unless you somehow happen to be exactly on the index pulse position). If the high level is above 3.5V you might also check the high level under load (connect a 100~200 ohm resistor to GND) to see how much strength the output has to drive the signal above 3.5V.

If the output doesn't drive hard above 3.5V or below 0V it can be connected directly to a JP12 3.3V Input.

or the Konnect?
    It might not have quite enough voltage to drive a Konnect input. We spec 4.75V minimum. Again you might measure your actual voltages.

Regards
    TK
    http://dynomotion.com

Ok. My Z drive made it in and now iam back to tuning again. And i have something odd with Z axis positioning.
    Here is my scenario.

When doing a G01 feed move of 2", 4" and 6". Checking with gage blocks and indicator, all these moves are correct. But if i do a G01 feed move of .001" i get an actual move of .0015" when checking with an indicator.(also the same when using .001" incremental jog step.) Then i tried a feed move of .010" and actual distance moved is .015".
    Any ideas why i can feed 2",4",6" and the actual move is correct but when doing a .001" or .01" move it is incorrect?

Also, i tried setting my Counts/In in KmotionCNC from the 20320 to 15000 and did a increment jog move of .001" and the actual move is correct all the way to .03"(max travel of indicator). But if i do a feed move of 2" at 15000 Counts/In the actual move is short by about a 1/2".
    This one has me puzzled

Troy

Troy,

This will sound dumb, but does your test indicator have the correct length probe on it?

If it's not right the indicator will not read accurately.

It will always repeat to .000 correctly in the 2,4,6 transfer test, but as you deflect from from 0 the indicator error begins to show up.

Just a shot in the dark.

Andrew

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    Andrew Abken
    www.drewtronics.net - PCB Cutters

Hi Andrew,
    Ya, the test indicator is reading correctly. Probe tip is only about .75" long with an .125" ball that i have adjusted to about 45*. Even if probe was longer and about a 45* angle, there should not be a miss reading like this. But for sanity sake i will test again with my 1" travel indicator.

Thanks,
    Troy

I thought it was a long shot. Would have been nice if the problem was an easy fix like that.

Seems they never are though.

Nice job, will be a great machine when your done.

Andrew Abken

Hay Andrew,
    I double checked with my .001 travel indicator and all was repeating. So used my .0005 test indicator again and it was reading off the same amount as before. Then i adjusted the probe to about a 90* and now it is reading correctly :wee: uhhgh...
    This was starting to get to me. Looks like its time to send off indicator to be calibrated or replaced.
    Thanks again Andrew for the sanity check.

Time for bed.

Troy

Glad to help!

I couldn't figure out many other possibilities, as long shot ish as it was, it was a simple place to start.

Angle of probe tip might be the problem, not the indicator or tip length.

Good luck on the rest of the project

Andrew

Andrew Abken

Page 13 of 23 31112131415