584,871 active members*
5,045 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > 2.2KW Spindle Motor starting problems

2.2KW Spindle Motor starting problems

Hello and thanks for any help you can offer in advance.

I have a 2.2kw spindle motor and Huanyang VFD bought from China as part of building my own cnc machine.

2 problems:
    1. Sometime but not always the VFD fires up but the moter does not turn? You need to turn the motor manualy then it goes.
    2. Sometimes it runs clock wise and then others anti clock wise but the setting is always set to forward.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Best, Jono

Re: 2.2KW Spindle Motor starting problems

Quote Originally Posted by Jono888 View Post
    Hello and thanks for any help you can offer in advance.

I have a 2.2kw spindle motor and Huanyang VFD bought from China as part of building my own cnc machine.

2 problems:
    1. Sometime but not always the VFD fires up but the moter does not turn? You need to turn the motor manualy then it goes.
    2. Sometimes it runs clock wise and then others anti clock wise but the setting is always set to forward.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Best, Jono
    You either have it wired incorrectly, ( missing a Phase on the output side of the VFD connection, my be a short in the wiring also ) or the VFD Parameters have been set incorrectly, or both, don't run it until it has been check out
    Mactec54

Thanks. I had the earth connected to the vfd before I posted this and the spindle did not work so I unconnected it and then ran into the problems which I posted (Earth was on pin no1). Bit of back ground data.

I have checked on a meter and all 3 wires have the correct resistance. No shorts there.

I reset the spindle to factory settings and then reset the 400hz

I'm now still at square one with the motor only spinning when I give it a little nudge to spin. It won't start on it's own. (It does appear to sound okay when it runs.)

Any pointers all welcome

Thanks. I had the earth connected to the vfd before I posted this and the spindle did not work so I unconnected it and then ran into the problems which I posted (Earth was on pin no1). Bit of back ground data.

I have checked on a meter and all 3 wires have the correct resistance. No shorts there.

I reset the spindle to factory settings and then reset the 400hz

I'm now still at square one with the motor only spinning when I give it a little nudge to spin. It won't start on it's own. (It does appear to sound okay when it runs.)

Any pointers all welcome

If you put the earth to Pin # 1 that would of been a major problem, if you still have to spin it, it is either damaged or is still not wired correctly

The correct wiring for the Spindle Plug to the VFD is Below

It also sounds you have not set all the correct Parameters, do you have the Parameter I post

The Ground still has to be connected to Pin 4 and check that the Spindle Pin 4 is also Grounded to the Body of the spindle if not this needs to be corrected
    Mactec54

Many thanks.

Could have the wiring wrong - lol I will follow your picture

No I don't have the Parameter I post - what is that.

I feel there is hope thanks again

Many thanks.

Could have the wiring wrong - lol I will follow your picture

No I don't have the Parameter I post - what is that.

I feel there is hope thanks again
    They need to be set as I have Posted

Huanyang Mactec54

PD000=0 for Parameter unlock ( 1 ) for Parameter Lock

PD001=0 (1 For Remote Control)

PD002=0 ( 1 For 0-10v Terminal Control or Remote Trim Pot Control )
    ( J1 Also Needs to be set for Terminal Control )

PD003=400

PD004=400

PD005=400

PD007=20

PD008=220 (120 If you have 120v VFD )

PD009=15

PD010=8

PD011=120 ( 100 Minimum Setting with Quality VFD, 120 is Safe)

PD13= 08 is for Factory reset, Only use this to set VFD to Factory Default Settings

PD014 Acceleration=12 ( Adjust to suit)

PD015 Deceleration=12 (Adjust to suit)
    ( PD15 is ignored IF PD26=1 Then the Spindle will Coast to a Stop)

PD141=220 ( Motor Rated Voltage ) (120 for VFD Rated for 120v )

PD142= ( Motor Max Amps)
    PD142=( 220vSet for your motor Amp Rating 2.2Kw Spindle 9 amp )
    PD142=( 220VSet for your motor Amp Rating 1.5Kw Spindle 7 amp )
    PD142=( 220v Set for your motor Amps Rating 800w Spindle 4 amps )
    PD142=( 120v Set for your motor Amp Rating 800w Spindle 7 amp )

PD143=2 ( Motor Number of Poles)

PD144=3000 (Max Motor RPM) =3,000= (24,000)

PD70=0 ( This may need to be set to 1 if Control Voltage is 0-5v )

PD72=400

PD73=120 ( 100 Minimum Setting )
    Mactec54

You are wonderful!

The wiring per your diagram was wrong so I have changed it to fit the diagram and now everything appears to run smooth. It starts up by it's self and turns the right way each time.

Many thanks for the settings. I will go through each one and double check they are correct.

Really, you have helped me out no end. I thought I had walked into a brick wall with this one and seen one too many you tube videos of the blind leading the blind lol

Again many thanks! Best Jono

PS if you have any data on setting up the VFD to Mach3 as this is going to be a close in the future step I would really appreciate that.

You are wonderful!

The wiring per your diagram was wrong so I have changed it to fit the diagram and now everything appears to run smooth. It starts up by it's self and turns the right way each time.

Many thanks for the settings. I will go through each one and double check they are correct.

Really, you have helped me out no end. I thought I had walked into a brick wall with this one and seen one too many you tube videos of the blind leading the blind lol

PS if you have any data on setting up the VFD to Mach3 as this is going to be a close in the future step I would really appreciate that.
    Yes there are many Videos out there, that lead you up the path to disaster, you got lucky, that you did not smoke something

Make sure your spindle 4th pin is Grounded to the spindle Body most are not, and you have to fix this, something like this attached photo

You need to make sure your Parameters are set before you run it, you can smoke VFD or Spindle if they are not correct, your spindle can run with incorrect set Parameters

So Check them before you run it again
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Yes there are many Videos out there, that lead you up the path to disaster, you got lucky, that you did not smoke something

Make sure your spindle 4th pin is Grounded to the spindle Body most are not, and you have to fix this, something like this attached photo

You need to make sure your Parameters are set before you run it, you can smoke VFD or Spindle if they are not correct, your spindle can run with incorrect set Parameters

So Check them before you run it again

Can you please send the wiring picture? I think this is my problem, but I can't see the photos you attached.

Thanks!

You are wonderful!

Can you please send us the wiring diagram? We are having the same exact issue & can't see the one that mactec54 sent you.

Thanks!